wifi chat for mobile phones

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I was wondering if there was something like that.

Basically turning two phones with their wifi on into 2 way radios.

You know of anything like that.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Yep. Try Fring or Skype or couple others. Most of these apps are developed for Symbian/Smart Phones thou.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
But Skype still requires an internet connection does it not? I'm looking at only using wifi to connect the phones without going on the web.

Tejen

You could always try bluetooth chat applications as an alternative if wifi doesn't work out for you

Messugga

Honorary Master
well I'm only considering between neighbors really, but yeah would be cool

Yeah, but cellphone wifi range is really crap. Well, it was with the handsets I've used. I wonder how tough it would be to set up an ad hoc connection between two phones... Can't say I've ever needed to do it.

sn3rd

Expert Member
Done the ad hoc wifi connection thing between phones before with no problem.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I think you should google "push to talk".

Ptt still uses the GSM network though, doesn't it? And as far as I know, it's not available (affordably at least) in SA?
I may of course be completely wrong.

So if it's easy to do ad hoc connections with cellphones, I wonder what the code looks like for the capturing of audio through the mic and for outputting it on the speaker. I'd think that it's quite nice and neat, but will have some form of pretty codec being used instead of using PWM and whatnot.

kayvee

Expert Member
Simple. It's not generally available here simply because the GSM cartel here don't want it to be, they much rather screw us out of pocket for their exorbitant rates for regular calls and SMS's.

A justified rant about it here.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Well the thread I made in the Cellular forums has not even got any reponse.
So I thought I'd bump this thread up again ;)

Been googling and only thing I could come across was an app called WiChat, but it was a .pdf file explaining what it could do. So not been able to find an official site for this app.

Can't even find that link now :eek: