WIFI Connection issues

Tassidar

Expert Member
Hi,

I've been having problems with wifi recently. Various computers running mainly xp and Vista. It seems to be a WPA problem, as when I encrypt things work fine. However, with encryption enabled the connection keeps dropping. This has happened on various routers, at different places.

My question is:
(1) Has anyone had a similar experience and if so what?
(2) Are there any major security issues with going with unsecured allowing only certain mac addresses?

Messugga

Honorary Master
2) It's incredibly easy to spoof a MAC address, and then you'd have trouble.

Tassidar

Expert Member
The six dumbest wats to secure a wireless network

Interesting article:
MAC filtering: This is like handing a security guard a pad of paper with a list of names. Then when someone comes up to the door and wants entry, the security guard looks at the person's name tag and compares it to his list of names and determines whether to open the door or not.

Dishonorable mention: Some of you might be wondering why I didn't put WEP in as one of the six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN. In light of recent developments within the last 6 months, it takes only a few minutes to break a WEP based network which makes WEP completely ineffective and a good potential future candidate for the wireless LAN security hall of shame.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Saajid

Expert Member
Could be interference from a number of other devices, including your Garage Door. WiFi operates on an open, unlicensed spectrum, which is used by many other devices. Try changing the channel your WiFi radio is broadcasting on. This might help.

Tassidar

Expert Member
Could be interference from a number of other devices, including your Garage Door. WiFi operates on an open, unlicensed spectrum, which is used by many other devices. Try changing the channel your WiFi radio is broadcasting on. This might help.

Thanks, willco.

Also read that setting the RTS/CTS thresholds might help.

howardb

Expert Member
I have the same problem with my hard-wired router and an Access Point wireless for my laptop - the wireless device will connect for a few minutes, then drop, irrespective of what encryption I use. I have checked all possible interference but cannot see what could be causing this - eventually gave up and hard-wired the laptop by drilling a hole in the wall! Job done.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Microwaves, electric fencing - major culprits. The latter's quite unlikely, but it DOES happen.
As suggested earlier, play around a bit with the channels - some have attributes that decrease transfer speeds, but increase range, stability, etc. for your environment.
I've seen this problem with Zyxel APs. Rubbish things.