Will this fan setup work?

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
I got a "new" computer case And I just wan't to know if the way I set up the fans, will work well to cool the case, (blue and red lines show how I think it will work)

Top fan brings in cool air then washes over the motherbaord and other stuff, then the hot air is pulled out by the bottom fan

http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data/500/fan.jpg

Thanks in advance

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Rule #1 on fans in PC cases: Fans extract air, always !!!!!

A PC case is designed for optimal airflow when fans extract air. Notice the fan on your CPU, its blowing away and not towards you CPU.

Your more than welcome to ignore this warning. Give your rig a few weeks and you will need to clean all the dust out.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Rule #1 on fans in PC cases: Fans extract air, always !!!!!

A PC case is designed for optimal airflow when fans extract air. Notice the fan on your CPU, its blowing away and not towards you CPU.

Your more than welcome to ignore this warning. Give your rig a few weeks and you will need to clean all the dust out.

so you rekkon I must make them both blow out? I'v heard of negative air flow, I used it on my old case, but the problem is somethims I have overheating problems...

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I thought the front fans sucked air in, and the back fans sucked air out?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master

Only on very few cases will I recommend this. One in particular is the Chenbro Xspida II (old case I know). It has an air filter in the front of the case.

With modern PCs, exhaust fans are more than sufficiant. If cooling your harddrives is an issue then get a special fan for your HDD.

F

Fudzy

Lol, interesting thread. My new rig is using a Coolermaster CM690, its got fan ports on every side! :eek: From what I've read you want an equal in out from whatever angles you have fans on.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja

My case only has two spaces at the back for fans, non at the front

Lol, interesting thread. My new rig is using a Coolermaster CM690, its got fan ports on every side! :eek: From what I've read you want an equal in out from whatever angles you have fans on.

I was reading on wikipedia about cooling methods and when you have negative air flow (more fans blowing out, less fans blowing in) the its lowers the amount of dust that collects inside your computer, so negaitive is better

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Only on very few cases will I recommend this. One in particular is the Chenbro Xspida II (old case I know). It has an air filter in the front of the case.

With modern PCs, exhaust fans are more than sufficiant. If cooling your harddrives is an issue then get a special fan for your HDD.

hmm nice case :D

xpiderii.jpg

Rosaudio

First Officer
I have a fan sucking in at the front, then a fan exhausting at the back. And another exhaust on the side

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Also note that some PSUs come with their own fan that also "extracts" air to the top-rear,which you'd just be sucking right back in with that setup :p

xrapidx

Honorary Master

Thats why I'm asking, most of my cases have had filters in the front - so I've just been trying to figure out why they would filter outbound air.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Interesting read....

Inflow fans certainly attract the dust...

I have one 12cm in on the front, matched by one 12cm out at the back and a loud 25cm in on the side....Seems to work for me.

TheRift

Expert Member
No-one has mentioned this, but that fan setup is a crap idea: heard of a short circuit before? Air comes in on one fan, then sucked out almost immediately by the other fan right above it, the other fan will then suck that outgoing air back in again.

I usually run more intakes, more often they sit on the hard drives. Leaving no fan on my drives with just an exhaust fan caused nonsense. With the new H50 installed I keep some fans on the side panel to offer some cooling air for the radiator since I had no intention of turning other fans around. Besides, with the rear fan quite close to the meshed side panels, more air gets pull in and straight out rather than the hot gathering air.

TheRift

Expert Member
I've also never heard of a CPU fan that sucks air up from the heatsink. I think people sometimes look at the fan blades and get the wrong idea about which way they're going to spin. And with all those power caps, etc, sitting right near a socket and producing heat I'd rather not pull that air through a heatsink.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I've also never heard of a CPU fan that sucks air up from the heatsink. I think people sometimes look at the fan blades and get the wrong idea about which way they're going to spin. And with all those power caps, etc, sitting right near a socket and producing heat I'd rather not pull that air through a heatsink.

Yeah, mine definitely pushes air onto the heatsink, which makes sense, since it is er hot...