Windows 10 (1809) Is out

who.dat

Expert Member
One of my laptops got the update on Wednesday but I only got around to rebooting and completing it this morning.

First thing I noticed was the laptop felt more sluggish. Perhaps it just needs time to settle in, I know that sounds weird when talking about a machine, but we are all used to the idiosyncrasies of Windows by now.

Secondly, that laptop was used as a media server so I had shared a few folders residing on it. Our other laptops (not updated as yet) could no longer access the mapped network drives. Started asking for passwords when none were set. I went in to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings, selected the "All networks" drop-down section and found that "password protected sharing" had been re-enabled despite it being previously disabled by myself. Once toggled all was well.

Still waiting for the other machines to get the update and will check out the rest of the new features.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Anyone tried to add some of these features yet? Keep on getting Installed failed, for any of the features I try to install, not only the ones below (haven't looked into it yet, will google later)

View attachment 562331
1538736320378.png
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...dows-10-1809-rsat-tools?forum=win10itprosetup

EDIT:
In regards to games,
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9l2yld you will see slight performance uplifts especially for those running 2nd gen AMD games.

https://thewincentral.com/windows-1...es-new-features-so-far-categorized-changelog/
Other interesting features are:
if device has light sensor, you can set it to increase visibility outdoors

I don't seem to have the sets option under my settings, running W10 Pro.

Game Mode Improvements
New options are now available for Game Mode that are expected to improve the gaming experience on desktop PCs. Gamers on PCs with many background processes may also see performance improvements when they toggle “Dedicate resources” in Game bar.​
From the reddit thread:
Game mode does force all-core boost at 4GHz on my 1700X and turns off all power saving features.
Yeah, it's been like this since Game Mode was introduced, but you had to manually enable it if Microsoft didn't have the app whitelisted in the compatibility database. I usually forced Game Mode in benchmarking apps so I didn't have to manually switch to my Gaming power profile.
Starting with 1809, it's enabled in pretty much every game, so long as it's recognized. You can still force enable it by using the game bar (Windows button + G), Settings, then check "Remember this is a game".
For certain things, Game Mode might hinder lightly threaded boost clocks, since modern processors downclock other cores to boost and gain some extra TDP headroom.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Sets also removed in gpedit yet is available in insider track, must have picked up a serious show stopper bug to be removed like that.
Sad. That looks like a great feature to have for grouping. Would maybe even make me replace Notepad++ as my default mini-trash clipboard. :D

Jola

Honorary Master
Having Bluetooth problems on my notebook with the new version.

BT completely unstable.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
BT cant send files to my phone anymore, Receive from the phone still works fine also Headphones sound and Mic.
Never connected my phone via bluetooth before, but just enabled it on my phone, right-clicked on a file on my laptop, clicked sent to bluetooth device, showed my phone, accepted the code prompt and file sent, and phone can send to pc as well

Last edited:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Never connected my phone via bluetooth before, but just enabled it on my phone, right-clicked on a file on my laptop, clicked sent to bluetooth device, showed my phone, accepted the code prompt and file sent, and phone can send to pc as well
Ditto on my Home PC, work laptop is a no go. Its a shame cause I was planning on resting my Home PC and not the work one.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Ridiculously big update, over 3GB....for what!!?

More bloatware and bad design having to essentially reinstall the devices entire O/S for a few sugar coated changes....

Kids who call themselves programmers/designers today...
The last update was 8gigs aka Vanilla > 1803.