Windows 10 (1809) Is out

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Erm Microsoft you forgot to change File copy to dark mode, I mean it is part of File Explorer...

Conack

Expert Member
Truth be told, Windows 10 has become my favourite Windows version ever. Kudos to MS for this.
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...atest-windows-10-update.980415/#post-22209517

Ja no it's the best. :unsure:

I've started rolling out W8 again for clients the last 2 months because people are properly gatvol of W10. (Self included, for a variety of reasons).

W7's support timeline is only until 2020 I think, so W8 seems like the longer term option and is much of a muchness imo.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Windows 10 fan boys are going to grin through it and love it, even if it's the last damned thing they do.

genetic

Honorary Master
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/warning-–-don’t-download-the-latest-windows-10-update.980415/#post-22209517

I've started rolling out W8 again for clients the last 2 months because people are properly gatvol of W10. (Self included, for a variety of reasons).

W7's support timeline is only until 2020 I think, so W8 seems like the longer term option and is much of a muchness imo.
I suggest you start rolling out XP and DOS too.

Got some 80GB ATA IDE drives if your clients need...

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...atest-windows-10-update.980415/#post-22209517

Lol. I unknowingly cussed it

I haven't any issues personally though, and still like a lot of what they've done with it

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/warning-–-don’t-download-the-latest-windows-10-update.980415/#post-22209517

You cannot argue that Windows 8 is any good, that thing was garbage and why I had only W7 machines until W10 came out. It's completely made for a touch interface and is so disjointed with certain apps.

Conack

Expert Member
You cannot argue that Windows 8 is any good, that thing was garbage and why I had only W7 machines until W10 came out. It's completely made for a touch interface and is so disjointed with certain apps.
Actually, you're right - I won't argue that it's "good", but comparing it to W10, it's sadly better... (in my opinion, and especially from what I hear from clients who can't stand being forced to update which sometimes take hours and with bizarre problems as a result / gets their default apps reset, all sorts of popups while working, privacy questions, ads in the Start menu, significantly higher data usage per month, etc.)

As for Windows 8.
You can simply ignore the touch interface / use the normal Windows 7 settings & features. I totally agree that the touch interface was/is useless for the most, (except for folks with touchscreens ofcourse) but here's the thing: You're NOT forced to use it. Just use the W7 version of the same system interface, (which incidentally is what one has to do with Windows 10 as well).

@genetic:
K.

Edit:

Reason for going Windows 8 is due to Microsoft's OS Support timeline:

Windows 7 SP1: January 14, 2020
Windows 8.1 : January 10, 2023

Windows 7's deadline is just too close, so 8 will have to do.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Last edited:

Apogee

I can vouch for the fact that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (1809) is still working.

Swopped out a HDD for a SSD yesterday on a system that was previously legally activated.

Installing a clean copy of 1809 did not want to activate, but it did via the upgrade route.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I know some times you can defer updates for up to a few months...or was it a year? Anyway I'm not sure why this is not available all the time.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Now that the update is rolling out again, more problems are being discovered.

if you've deployed 1809 and/or KB4464330 to HP laptops, you're gonna have a bad time.

Bluetooth is also buggered on some Realtek chipsets and Intel Wireless-ac/BT combo cards.

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Now that the update is rolling out again, more problems are being discovered.

if you've deployed 1809 and/or KB4464330 to HP laptops, you're gonna have a bad time.

Bluetooth is also buggered on some Realtek chipsets and Intel Wireless-ac/BT combo cards.
Thanks. That's plenty of them!

Seriously

Honorary Master
I can vouch for the fact that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (1809) is still working.

Swopped out a HDD for a SSD yesterday on a system that was previously legally activated.

Installing a clean copy of 1809 did not want to activate, but it did via the upgrade route.
Good to know. Any link to method?

Everyone complaining about windows should just go to linux. Will suit you well. You have alternate choices.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Good to know. Any link to method?

Everyone complaining about windows should just go to linux. Will suit you well. You have alternate choices.
That's a kuk attitude, this update has been pretty bad and people have reason to be pissed off.