Windows 7 Beta Out!!

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
The windows 7 beta has been officially released! It is availble on MSDN from today to MSDN subscribers and will be availble to the general public from tomorrow. I suppose it is the 7000 build available from last week, but haven't checked. It can be downloaded from Microsoft.com from tomorrow. It should be noted however that only 2.5million copies would be made available.

More info on the Windows 7 Blog

For all you people worried about power consumption and energy efficiency, have a look here on the Engineering Windows 7 blog

cerebus

Honorary Master
oh man.....I just don't have the bandwidth right now

What a temptation.....

Messugga

Honorary Master
I'm VERY curious as well about this. I'm still using XP, but it seems the companies who develop the software I work on are putting some faith in Windows 7, which is something they weren't prepared to do with Vista, and are starting to actually make their software compatible with the new OS.
I'll probably need to get a better laptop to run it though, since I'd be having XP in a VM 90% of the time for the first few months. Interesting times.

LFX

Expert Member
installed lastnite, looking good so far, no driver installations required is the biggest plus for me, it is quite fast and responsive, as others have noted before, but we all know that this swiftness degrades over time as the registry etc gets bogged down with 3rd party installation and configuration changes.

The Windows 7 Beta only supports Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 upgrades. So if you intend to do an upgrade – be sure it is on a PC running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1. We are not yet announcing anything regarding finalized upgrade paths for Windows 7.

Does this mean you need to have Vista before you can run Windows 7? Surely not - I love my XP :p

Necuno

Court Jester
The windows 7 beta has been officially released! It is availble on MSDN from today to MSDN subscribers and will be availble to the general public from tomorrow. I suppose it is the 7000 build available from last week, but haven't checked. It can be downloaded from Microsoft.com from tomorrow. It should be noted however that only 2.5million copies would be made available.

I don't see the link via msdn- suppose its still coming then.

LFX

Expert Member
Does this mean you need to have Vista before you can run Windows 7? Surely not - I love my XP :p

well whoever upgrades from a full os to a beta is foolish to say the least. rather create a partition and dualboot with your existing os. im currently 'quad' booting win7beta with 2 xp installations and vista. won't mention the linux installs for fear of starting a war in this thread. :p

bekdik

Honorary Master

Remember this is BETA, so MS will be making a bunch of assumptions re the environment and from the comment it would appear that they assume vista drivers.

The release versions will, no doubt, include drivers.

Amida

Expert Member
I have the bandwidth if some has access to MSDN maybe we can trade.

thriel

I have the disc already, downloaded it a couple of days ago :)

its only a 2.4GB download. ( 32bit version )

cerebus

Honorary Master
how big is the 64 bit version? If someone has it on a dvd perhaps we can talk?