Windows 7 users are taking their time upgrading to Windows 10

rambo919

Honorary Master
Everything I do is GUI, I seldom use the terminal.
As an example, when it comes to tagging multiple mp3 files I generally needed to switch through multiple (mostly terrible) linux apps to get the functionality I need, in windows there is one. I completely forgot which was the best linux one tbh, probably puddletag. Also remember having the same difficulty with bulk renaming apps but then again the windows one's kinda suck too unless you are an expert at common expressions.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Amazing this thread. Same old same BS. ALL the so-called trouble people have with WIN 10 home or Pro can be summed easily.
Just sort out how YOU want the machine to be. Sort out how YOU want to handle updates.
Sort out how YOU want to handle driver updates.
READ up about how to handle App updates properly.
Then issues with Skype WILL not happen just as one example.
Driver updates for specific things can and should be set to only happen when you want them to happen.

Don't be led by the nose. Or, are you guys all sheep?

Last edited:

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
As an example, when it comes to tagging multiple mp3 files I generally needed to switch through multiple (mostly terrible) linux apps to get the functionality I need, in windows there is one. I completely forgot which was the best linux one tbh, probably puddletag. Also remember having the same difficulty with bulk renaming apps but then again the windows one's kinda suck too unless you are an expert at common expressions.

I unfortunately cant help with the mp3 rename, but there is a bulk rename in nautilus (gnome file manger).

Attachments

• batch-rename-nautilus.png
    batch-rename-nautilus.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 14

ponder

Honorary Master
Definitely not. Windows 10 had quite a few updates in regards to this and has finally improved scaling between different resolution screens plugged into the same device, plus fuzzy fixes if scaling is adjusted on them.

There are a gazillion pages on the web covering this topic, it's a real thing. MS changed from rgb subpixel rendering to grayscale rendering to cater for phones & tablets which looks ok on small high dpi screens. This all started with Win8 which I skipped and it's very noticeable to a lot of people.

"The cause for Office, Modern UI and IE10 to look so bad is that they use a new graphics rendering API offered in Windows 8 (and with updates on Windows 7, too).
The new font rendering engine offered by this new API simply doesn't have Clear Type implemented. So unless Microsoft patches this new API to support Clear Type, no program using this API will ever be able to do so.
The reason why Firefox (and Chrome, to an extend) are able to use Clear Type is because they still rely on the old Windows font-rendering API.

This is a bad decision by Microsoft, but their reasoning behind that (from what i think) is also quite clear: It is based on the assumption that their future will be in the tablet market. Since ClearType only works in one direction (horizontally, that is), it is totally useless if you rotate the tablet. The other thing is animation: if you animate a Clear Type anti-aliased font, its boundaries will start to flicker. And since Modern UI is a lot about animations and transitions, this would offer a bad experience.

Last thing is the much higher ppi (pixels per inch) offered by tablet screens (>200ppi) in respect to computer monitors (mostly <=120ppi), where grayscale-anti aliasing is totally sufficient for crisp fonts.
And the worst thing: the Surface has a display with only 148ppi! So fonts look crappy on their reference design tablet.

The bad thing is: no one can help you with the font rendering problem. You're on your own, as a consumer. For me that meant to downgrade back to Office 2010, ignoring Modern UI and all apps completely and ditching IE 10 (but hey, that's a no-brainer, isn't it?)."

I have no words to describe the mess Microsoft created in the font rendering in Windows 10.

Just look at this explorer window. Some elements like title bar and address bar have a grayscale antialiasing, the rest has cleartype enabled.

Ok, let's open ClearType Tuner and select a third option on a third page which is a grayscale cleartype.

And guess what, it's still the same! This tool has no effect at all on the cleartype's color settings.

Disabling cleartype is no option, as the text becomes a total mess.

Here's some light reading to go over.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rry-text/f52a2002-d748-485c-8b9c-4862806ea94a
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3i69wy https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3htg1y https://msfn.org/board/topic/174172-font-rendering-is-a-mess-in-windows-10/
https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1267300-was-the-win-8-font-rendering-issue-fixed-on-windows-10/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...y/1d811744-2b48-44df-a20f-ed97c651b239?auth=1
https://ledstrain.org/d/47-anti-aliased-fonts-can-damage-eyesight-writeup/2

lotus123

Switched from Win 7 and Office 2016 to Win 10 Pro and Office 365. Light years ahead, and I doubt I could go back now without taking a productivity hit.

Added 2 extra bits of software to make it really work well:
Stardock Fences to keep the desktop clean
QTTabbar extends Windows Explorer with tabs, Multimedia preview on hover, etc

My R0.02:
If you have an older PC/laptop on Win7 and that's working okay for you then leave it as is.
If you have a newer computer and you want better functionality and productivity then Win10

Edit: FWIW, I'm running on 1903 now, no issues.

ponder

Honorary Master
Amazing this thread. Same old same BS. ALL the so-called trouble people have with WIN 10 home or Pro caned be summed easily.

There is no fix for my gripe wrt font rendering.

Reactions: Swa

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Amazing this thread. Same old same BS. ALL the so-called trouble people have with WIN 10 home or Pro caned be summed easily.
Just sort out how YOU want the marine to be. Sort out how YOU want to handle updates.
Sort out how YOU want to handle driver updates.
READ up about how to handle App updates properly.
Then issues with Skype WILL not happen just as one example.
Driver updates for specific things can and should be set to only happen when you want them to happen.

Don't be led by the nose. Or, are you guys all sheep?

I don't know how to tell you this, but unless you have Win 10 pro most of this can't be done. Also highlights another difference between Winblows 10 and Win 7. Switch off Win 7 updates is one setting. ONE!! Turning them off in Win 10 involves a dozen complicated work around steps and even then you are only delaying the moment that it switches it all back on and asks you to update making you go through the steps again to get it to go away for a few days. It is a PAIN!! And no, I'm not updating it, for the same reason I don't update anything unless it stops working - if it ain't broke don't fix it. And it was Windows that taught me this profound lesson. Oh you MUST update everything because yaddah yaddah security yaddah yaddah etc. So I did. HA! How to break your computer in one easy step! Now this driver isn't compatible with that driver and that software I use every single day doesn't want to work with that thing that has no updated, and that didn't update properly, and then this bit doesn't want to talk to that bit ... 2 days later I just rolled the entire system with system restore and NEVER again!!

With windows - if it ain't broke, and everything is working and talking to each other and nothing is conflicting - DO NOT "FIX" IT!!!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I have both. I deliberately did not upgrade one machine to pro. I have no problems with it. I can do all that I need. On win 10 home, it s just a little bit of a challenge.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I have both. I deliberately did not upgrade one machine to pro. I have no problems with it. I can do all that I need. On win 10 home, it s just a little bit of a challenge.

can you please do a post going through step by step (idiotproof fashion) on how to switch the damn updates off permanently in win 10 home? Because I've done all the steps I can find on the internet and it still asks every few days if it can update. Doesn't actually update, but it asks.

For clarity I have win 7 on my PC and win 10 on an laptop I was gifted which was 'kindly' updated for me as an additional 'gift' because of 'you have to update' type thinking. Guess which system constantly needs fiddling with to keep working and which one doesn't?

Swa

Honorary Master
If I had any choice I would upgrade my machines back to Windows 7.
My brand new machine that exclusively has Windows 10 drivers has had numerous issues with driver changes that I never asked for.
Considering it is used in a live environment where stability is critical, it does not help my stress levels.

Words can describe my hatred towards Windows 10. But I dont want to get banned from the forum.
Well said.

There is no fix for my gripe wrt font rendering.
As well as a lot of other things like updates. Simply no way to really disable them and they will still be forced in some way. People who say it's customisable just don't know what they're talking about and are only customising it in the way MS wants them to. Sigh

ponder

Honorary Master
As well as a lot of other things like updates. Simply no way to really disable them and they will still be forced in some way. People who say it's customisable just don't know what they're talking about and are only customising it in the way MS wants them to. Sigh

Yeah the whole update thing is not kosher, I'm happy to leave mine on to do as it pleases but others might not.

quovadis

Executive Member
There are a gazillion pages on the web covering this topic, it's a real thing. MS changed from rgb subpixel rendering to grayscale rendering to cater for phones & tablets which looks ok on small high dpi screens. This all started with Win8 which I skipped and it's very noticeable to a lot of people.

Lol. Are you serious? You're referring to 3-6 year old issues affecting mostly idiotic people who run their displays at non-native resolutions. ie. those that buy a FHD or 4K panel and then change the resolution to 1366x768 because "the text is too small"

Dangerboy33

From my point of view, being a penetration tester, Windows 7 is a hackers dream. Use windows 10 for my daily emails, internet browsing, etc, Windows 10 is the best. Hell, even Kali Linux is better than windows 7

Swa

Honorary Master
Lol. Are you serious? You're referring to 3-6 year old issues affecting mostly idiotic people who run their displays at non-native resolutions. ie. those that buy a FHD or 4K panel and then change the resolution to 1366x768 because "the text is too small"
If windows was rendering correctly it would work.

ponder

Honorary Master

It's not a bug or 'issue', it's by design. It started with Win8 and it's still present as of 14:10 3 July 2019 by design in Win10.

Can you point me to the patch or new os update that changes this design please?

Edit: From your reply it's clear you don't even realise what the issue is. It has zero do with scaling and people running non native resolutions on their panels but keep on shooting your mouth off.

Last edited:

rambo919

Honorary Master
Win10 is still a bandwidth hog, some people don't notice because they have fibre..... you notice when there are 4 win10 pc's on a 2mb line... every week especially mondays there are a few days where the internet dies because all 4 start downloading "something" that's neither an update nor a store update.... I have looked nothing is running on the surface.

The update situation has improved with the latest feature update yes by M$ still pretty much has it's head up something's ass.

wbot

Executive Member
This brings me back to my Android argument - how long are users (not offices etc) going to try and ride the wave of 7's remaining lifespan until it's too late to go to 10 (too expensive / hardware compatibility), leaving Droid the only option left?
What am I missing here? :unsure:
Personally I'll continue using it until the day I buy a game that won't work on 7. No reason for me to upgrade otherwise and I'm more than happy with 7 which is the best OS since XP. I only really use my pc for gaming.

Not sure I understand the other bit about Android being the only option left if 7 dies and it being too late to switch to 10......

Swa

Honorary Master
Personally I'll continue using it until the day I buy a game that won't work on 7. No reason for me to upgrade otherwise and I'm more than happy with 7 which is the best OS since XP. I only really use my pc for gaming.

Not sure I understand the other bit about Android being the only option left if 7 dies and it being too late to switch to 10......
I'll use it until games no longer support it, then I'll use Linux.

rambo919

Honorary Master
I'll use it until games no longer support it, then I'll use Linux.
Lets just hope linux finally does the unimaginable and finally properly competes with windows at some point. ATM LM and Valve seems to be doing the only real work on that end.