Windows 8.1 unwanted TAP-Win32 Adapter issues

sitnet

Good afternoon all :)

I recently formatted and re-installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop (MSI GE-60 0nd) due to some unrelated issues. After a few weeks of usage I realized that Windows keeps installing these TAP adapters:

tap1.PNG
tap2.PNG

I have done a lot of research, and these adapters are for the OpenVPN software package. The problem is that OpenVPN is not, and has never been installed on this laptop, and I do not use any form of VPN or any tunneling software.

I have followed various suggestions to remove these adapters, such as deleting their registry keys and even deleting the drivers in the Driver Store. Nothing has worked, they keep on coming back after I restart. And they duplicate, there have been as many as 20 of these adapters.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of these?

FartyMarty

Did you possibly use a tool for activating?

Good afternoon all :)

I recently formatted and re-installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop (MSI GE-60 0nd) due to some unrelated issues. After a few weeks of usage I realized that Windows keeps installing these TAP adapters:

View attachment 167507
View attachment 167509

I have done a lot of research, and these adapters are for the OpenVPN software package. The problem is that OpenVPN is not, and has never been installed on this laptop, and I do not use any form of VPN or any tunneling software.

I have followed various suggestions to remove these adapters, such as deleting their registry keys and even deleting the drivers in the Driver Store. Nothing has worked, they keep on coming back after I restart. And they duplicate, there have been as many as 20 of these adapters.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of these?

sitnet

@FartyMarty This Windows is the original OEM that came with the laptop. I did a system refresh and no activation was necessary as it is pre-activated. Office on the other hand... Might that be the cause?

@Arthur I did not install TrustConnect.

slvR

Expert Member
did you use kms or something for office?

just get libre office and leave the yarring to us

sitnet

@Woodlands Okay, know what the problem is. Hahaha and I've been "yarring" longer than you've been walking this earth my friend =D

@All, thanx for help, found the problem. Not really a problem, just didn't realize it was necessary for some of the software I have installed.