Your recommended apps for Mango

AJKock

Evernote - Best Note taking program
gMaps - Travel, Routes using Google Maps
Pomodoro - Based on the Pomodoro Technique to help you focus and take breaks every 25 min

lariato

For news-reading I recommend Pulse, Weave and Fuse.

For a nifty Local Scout replacement, check out From Here.

Also, games-wise, I've been playing Penguin (Tiny Wings clone) and I just downloaded LegendsofDescent. But if you're looking to go local, I'd recommend trying out The Harvest, by local devs Luma Arcade.

I wrote an article for iafrica.com last month, if you guys are interested, covering some essential apps.
http://technology.iafrica.com/features/744471.html

lariato

Pulse and Weave I'd say are the two best "Flipboard"-like aggregators. Although I've heard some good things about NextGenRedaer (or is it NexGenReader?)

AJKock

The HTC App has updated its weather app. Now has single tile support and new animations (or maybe I just never noticed this before).
I like Microsoft's Weather App (beautiful and simplistic), but it doesn't have Live Tile support yet. Can you believe?

AJKock

If you are a scholar or student, you might find this useful:

Class Scheduler is an easy to use timetable app for pupils and students.

Simply create your subjects and assign a color. With the Double Period feature, you can create lessons with just a finger tip. A lesson will take place on different days in different rooms? No problem – an individual room can be assigned to each lesson.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/2840f039-0471-e011-81d2-78e7d1fa76f8

AJKock

Get more from Bing Vision

What is Bing Vision:
Bing search is no longer just a search engine in WP Mango, it offers a Shazam-like music recognition service and visual search named Bing vision. What Bing vision allows you to do is to read barcodes on any product (and get all the information about it) and you can also scan any text, and translate it to almost any language you want.

How do I get it?
All you have to do is change your “Browser & Search Language” to English (United States). To do that, navigate to “Region + Language” menu located in the Settings screen.