Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 100 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell C Network Issues: Disconnects, Coverage, Throughput Problems - Report Here

Exclamation Cell C Network Issues: Disconnects, Coverage, Throughput Problems - Report Here

Network Notices
    none

Location specific Problems
    HSPA+ Speeds in Gauteng Region - Known Issue (From Cell C)
    Network Issues since January 1 - Western Cape
    Slow upload speeds in Cape Town
    Network Issues Stellenbosch
    Brackenfell & Kraaifontein
    3G speeds in the Berea Musgrave Morningside area

Known Problems
    Stuck on EDGE, unable to switch to 3G (E1820 / E1752?)
    Connected but no throughput
    Constant Disconnects
    Inbound Connections / Unrestricted APN
    Cell C E1820 External Antenna Connector

Fix in place - Monitoring
    none

Recently Resolved
    Still connected but only able to access Cell C website
    Data bundles not available 2011/02/07
    Cell-C E1820/E1752 Dashboard Software "WCDMA only"
    Motorola Defy from Red Bull Mobile doesn't have RBM portal Fix here: Setting up Android RBM

Self Help
    1) Read the FAQ in this forum.
    2) Read the Cell C FAQ.
    3) Search this forum, and chances are your question has been answered before.

How To Report Issues
    For reporting issues to Cell C Support
    1) Call 084 155 5555 technical helpdesk, free from a Cell C SIM.
    2) Mail online support on [email protected] or PM Cell_C with the following information (all fields mandatory, email preferred)
    First and Last name:
    Contact Number:
    Email Address:
    Number of effected SIM:
    Type of service (pre- or post-paid):
    Physical address, location or Coordinates:
    Time of Issue:
    Dongle / handset used, Make and Model:
    What OS and version are you using on the connecting device (Windows / Mac / Linux):
    www.speedtest.net results (if possible):
    Full description of the problem with as much detail and history as possible:
    Some questions to consider:
    • Data Problem (GPRS/EDGE/3G)?
    • Unable to connect to the Internet?
    • Internet connection times out?
    • Data throughput is very low (<100Kbps)?
    • Data throughput is good but not excellent (<2Mbps)?
    • Cannot access a specific site?
    • Cannot access specific service (e.g. E-Mail, VPN or BlackBerry)?
    • Is this a recurring problem?
    • Have you called in the past Cell-C for the same problem?
    • How long ago have you registered the same complaint?
    • You know of anyone else that experiences the same issue?

For reporting New Problems in this thread (all the information is required)
    Device Manufacturer & Model (e.g. Huawei E1820, ZTE MF190, Not: Black Modem, White Modem):
    Contract Type (pre- or post-paid):
    Existing reference numbers from Helpdesk:
    RAT (2G/3G/HSPA+):
    www.speedtest.net results (if possible):
    Cell ID (if possible):
    RSSI (if possible, see How to check signal strength (RSSI))
    Any other information relevant to the problem:

Moderator Note: Incomplete posts in this thread will be deleted. If you start a new thread to report network/data related issues without the required information it will be deleted. Do your bit to assist the rep so you can be helped in the most efficient manner.
    Last edited by ginggs; 09-06-2011 at 08:04 PM.

I WILL be deleting incomplete posts or new threads relating to network issues. You have been warned.
    53.91% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and SABC censorship.

I have already deleted two posts <sigh>

Can't people read any more?
    53.91% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and SABC censorship.

Time of issue: 10.22am
    Device: Black Cell C modem
    Contract Type (pre- or post-paid): Prepaid
    Existing reference numbers from Helpdesk: n/a
    www.speedtest.net results (if possible): n/a
    Any other information relevant to the problem: Randpark Ridge down for days - with no throughput at all. I've noticed the past 4 days - but plenty of others say around a week. Note this is not just slow ... this is ZERO.

All good, Mr Mod?
    Last edited by Dolby; 24-04-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    All good, Mr Mod?
    Yes fantastic, thank you!

Time of issue: last couple of days
    Device: Black Cell C modem E1820
    Existing reference numbers from Helpdesk: Couldn't be bothered to try, takes too long to answer and I have to pay for the call.
    Any other information relevant to the problem: My internet has been down for days. Mostly no throughput at all even though the modem connects and shows decent signal strength. Intermitantly I can get some slow throughput for a couple of minutes, but that is the exception rather than the norm. My flatmate has exactly the same issue, so you can rule out my PC or any of the normal things you blame.

Time of issue: From 14:00 today (bearing in mind I collected my 'speed'-stick at 13:00
    Contract Type (pre- or post-paid): Postpaid
    Existing reference numbers from Helpdesk: Couldn't be bothered to try, takes too long to answer and I have to pay for the call.
    www.speedtest.net results (if possible): Tried but it was painfully slow so I gave up.
    Any other information relevant to the problem: I checked coverage of my address on the Cell C site and was happy to see that I was covered. Signed up and collected my USB modem today, rushed home and have had nothing but whooshing (NOT) speeds averaging 40Kbps. It takes over 2 minutes just to load a forum page. Where is the speed that everyone's raving about? At this rate I'll be missing my dial-up days. Is this the norm for this area in which case I'm cancelling. I even drove around the area and all I got was EDGE, not a sniff of UMTS.

Quote Originally Posted by gifs View Post
    ...I have to pay for the call.
    You can remove the Cell-C SIM from your speedstick and put it into a mobile phone and call the helpdesk for free.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Time of issue: From 14:00 today (bearing in mind I collected my 'speed'-stick at 13:00

FYI - Randpark Ridge and surrounding areas have been out for 5 days now. A number of others are reporting issues in Randburg and Randpark Ridge too. Don't hold your breath that you'll be whooshing anytime soon. I wonder if they'll give us extra data as we're approaching 20% of the month being down - and using Vodacom as a backup means bread and water for the the rest of the month due to the high costs?

EDIT : But I've had it since December and it actually isn't the norm. I've typically had about 2-3mbps downloads over the months which is ideal for my needs. I must say though, having used Vodacom the past few days I've been getting 5+mbps everytime.
    Last edited by Dolby; 24-04-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    FYI - Randpark Ridge ....
    Thanks for the info. If I'm given the option to cancel what would you recommend? Based on your response I'm inclined to think I should allow myself to be ripped by VC.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    You can remove the Cell-C SIM from your speedstick and put it into a mobile phone and call the helpdesk for free.
    Unfortunately my iPhone uses a microsim.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Thanks for the info. If I'm given the option to cancel what would you recommend? Based on your response I'm inclined to think I should allow myself to be ripped by VC.
    I've used Vodacom, Telkom and Cell C in this area - and the only constantly good one was Telkom.

Vodacom went from bad to worse in 2009 - which caused me to jump to Telkom.
    From Telkom I jumped to Cell C because of cost and - up until 5 days ago - it wasn't too bad either.
    However now that I'm using the VC SIM again, it's performance is the best.

5 months ago I got VC (>1mbps), Telkom (3mbps) and Cell C (3mbps). Now I get VS (5+mbps), Telkom (3mbps) and Cell C (dead) - so tough call

Personally I'd wait a day or two to see if Cell C sorts themselves out as I feel the cost saving over Vodacom is worth slightly slower performance (if it works properly again!)

Time of issue: From 19:00 Thursday 21 April 2011
    Existing reference numbers from Helpdesk: 136475
    www.speedtest.net results (if possible): No Internet connectivity, so test impossible.
    Any other information relevant to the problem: Connects, but there is no throughput at all. Connecting to EDGE works, but WCDMA is dead. When putting the SIM card in my Galaxy i9000, no icons for 3G or HSDPA show up. This immediately tells me that something is wrong. When going to Cell C in Northgate mall, they informed me that the whole of Randburg is out, and nothing is being done to fix it.

I lost nearly 10GB because of useless service in replacing a faulty speedstick. That process took nearly 2 months. Now when i get my modem back, I am going to end up losing another 3GB thanks to this. Well done Cell C.

Time of issue: About five days now
    Device: Black Cell C modem
    Existing reference numbers from Helpdesk: n/a
    Any other information relevant to the problem: Zero thoroughput - this is scandalous!

Guys, has anyone considered approaching the Consumer Forum for a full refund. I am not sure Cell C is geared up to provide such a service on a large scale - clearly they are battling with the technical issues. The call centre is no good.

Quote Originally Posted by gifs View Post
    Time of issue: last couple of days
    Any other information relevant to the problem: My internet has been down for days. Mostly no throughput at all even though the modem connects and shows decent signal strength. Intermitantly I can get some slow throughput for a couple of minutes, but that is the exception rather than the norm. My flatmate has exactly the same issue, so you can rule out my PC or any of the normal things you blame.
    My cellc internet started working some time this afternoon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 100 123451151 ... LastLast