8ta, MTN, Vodacom and Cell C: data prices compared

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Mobile to fixed is the distinguishing feature here. Also for those who can't afford cell call rates, the 1 outgoing for 3 incoming reward might attract a lot of prepaid users.

The data offering is pants.

ike

this article is not fair to cellc, because you cannot include them in the heading and not tabulate their offering. following your logic, since 8ta doesnt have the larger bundle sizes, you should have excluded them completely from the table and had only those with 2Gb and 5Gb. yeah, doesnt make sense to me either. please fix your table...

sunsoffun

Expert Member
:confused: R39 saving on the 1GB.... now thats a shack up, if I have ever seen one. :confused:

Lower your landline prices you faking idiots... before trying to take on mobile. Hell, you barely get landlines right any hows.

I grind me teeth having to pay you all that money every month, now you want me to pay you even more. WHAT EVA!

Last edited:

diabolus

Executive Member
Yea, geepers, just because an offering is packaged different it's suddenly not included at all? With that kind of reasoning all cellphone operators would get away with murder just be doing something weird with their packages "so no one can compare them" . Surely it's not so hard to convert things to a "cost p/MB" table with some fine print?

Anyway here's Cell-C
*By once-off payment we mean that you pay R1,499 for 2GB or R2,999 for 5GB and you automatically receive 2GB/5GB of data every month for 12 months.

Once you've used up your bundle, the out-of-bundle tariff of R 0.39/MB will apply.

The part in bold, THAT is what should be compared. No "But but, blah blah" , it's as simple as that. We are talking up to R2 p/MB vs. 30c p/MB type of ripp offs going on in this space.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
I would rather go without internet than pay these prices! Only if my job or life depended on it would i pay up!! Cell C's 12 month offer just makes everything else look like total carp :p

Jola

Honorary Master
Still think 8.ta is better, their out of bundle cost is far less than mtn and vodacom

AFAIK both MTN and Vodacom have bundles with lower out of bundle cost than 8.ta, for example the Vodacom Advanced Data Bundles.

armitage

Expert Member
Not really that great an offering. "real choice" ... right, more like blue/red president to vote for(can't remember what movie that was from).

milomak

Honorary Master
so the real problem people have is the title of the article. because on reading the article it is clear what they are trying to compare. the prepaid market which the new Cell-C offering clearly is not. This article is aimed at those people who are not looking to be buying equipment but are looking for prepaid that costs the less. so they can move from provider to provider without thinking of what costs have been paid and what services are still due to them.

edit - one other benefit is that the more you add players (even if they act in ogliopoly mode at first) is that as the numbers increase you will start to see competition. typically people will stick to incumbents (mtn and vodacom) and it requires the new boys to be more innovative. so even if it is that small amount, it ultimately benefits consumers.

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
so the real problem people have is the title of the article. because on reading the article it is clear what they are trying to compare. the prepaid market which the new Cell-C offering clearly is not. This article is aimed at those people who are not looking to be buying equipment but are looking for prepaid that costs the less. so they can move from provider to provider without thinking of what costs have been paid and what services are still due to them.
But aren't two of the CEll C offerings essentially prepaid? U pay R999 upfront/once off (hence prepaid) for 2GB x 12 months OR R1999 upfront for 5GB x 12 months. These offers assume the customer has their own compatible HSDPA type modem.

Jola

Honorary Master
How can it be prepaid when you are tied into a 12 month contract?

And VC & MTN are not contracts when you are tied in for two months ? When does it become a contract, when it's two months prepaid, or four, or six, or twelve ?

Or maybe only when you have a fixed-term contractual commitment and it is postpaid ?

Last edited:

zain76

Impressive prepaid pricing for the initial offering. Hopefully this would cause MTN and vodacom to start reveiwing pricing structures. I hate the idea of being locked into a contract and having to use a set amount of data.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Can we please have an article of voice pricing? MTN are still charging R2.85 per minute on an AnyTime 200 and R2.35 per minute on an AnyTime 350 contract! Like WTF! :wtf:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
How can it be prepaid when you are tied into a 12 month contract?

Prepaid is when you have to pay in advance before you can continue using the service. Postpaid is when you use the service, and are billed for it after using it.

A contract is not necessarily related to prepaid or postpaid.

Axis

Have just been to the new Game store at Clearwater Mall and Vodacom are advertising that when you buy prepaid data you get 60% more for free.
That would make them cheaper than 8ta. Can anyone else confirm this??