8ta, MTN, Vodacom and Cell C: data prices compared

Ispy

PREPAID: apples with apples

8.ta pricing is PREPAID. are we comparing apples with pears ??

q12485

Strange not to include Cell C pricing for broadband? Also, Telkom only launched with 7.2Mbps HSPA offering vs Cell C's HSPA+?

BBSA

Honorary Master
Strange not to include Cell C pricing for broadband? Also, Telkom only launched with 7.2Mbps HSPA offering vs Cell C's HSPA+?
From the article:

When it comes to data bundle prices 8ta is fairly competitive, but Cell C remains many times cheaper than the rest of the market. Cell C’s latest offering however does not offer small data bundles, and hence require a fairly large upfront investment, which may be too much for some consumers to afford.

bradlesliect

I'm sorry but when its comes to all these corps with cellular and data bundles...I am a sceptic....

...I say...the proof is in the pudding. May the BEST SERVICE one win!

8ta .... WELCOME TO THE RING! READY, SET, FIGHT!

CellC, Neotel and Virgin came with similar promises and offerings....and...?

BGE

Expert Member
Sorry RPM but this article is a joke, it's easy enough to include large data bundles and post-paid... why not?

Cell C 2GB Package (12 month contract): R62.5/GB
Vodacom 2GB Package (24 month contract): R192.50/GB

Cell C 5GB Package (12 month contract): R50.00/GB
Vodacom 5GB Package (24 month contract): R189.00/GB

I would have included MTN, but found the site down when looking for their contract data rates:

HTTP/1.1 404
Connection: close
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:22:24 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

TwoCents1000

Sorry RPM but this article is a joke, it's easy enough to include large data bundles and post-paid... why not?
Try not to show your ignorance, OK?

If you compare a new offering you pick the competitive offerings that best match it. Simple really.

8ta launched small, pre-paid bundles with a small(ish) recurring monthly fee.

Cell-C offers an effective 12-month contract for larger bundles. And in a strange move, make people pay the full contract value up front. In that sense they're standing alone, taking ALL your money upfront. Wham, bam, thank-you ma'am....

So how would you like to compare the two as equals?

If you want to compare data rates normalised over all offers, it's already been done numerous times and will be done again. (cue next mybb article :) )

Last edited:

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Both MTN and Vodacom are prepaid.

We dont have 8tas postpaid yet which should be cheaper

BGE

Expert Member
That was just my 2cents worth... :p

Read the subject line... Data prices: 8ta vs MTN vs Vodacom vs Cell C

There is no mention of pre-paid only... and it indicates 'vs Cell C'... and the article doesn't...

Last edited:

Joe Average

Cell C 2GB Package (12 month contract): R62.5/GB
Vodacom 2GB Package (24 month contract): R192.50/GB

Cell C 5GB Package (12 month contract): R50.00/GB
Vodacom 5GB Package (24 month contract): R189.00/GB

I would have included MTN, but found the site down when looking for their contract data rates:

HTTP/1.1 404
Connection: close
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:22:24 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

+1 Cell C is definitely the flavour of the month - but their real test awaits in JHB.

DavidP

What epic reporting fail? How could you not work out how to compare with cell C in a table.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
CellC's real test is in Gauteng, where there is a higher concentration of people and one Ook. ;)

The article's headline is misleading, I was expecting CellC's data to be on the table as well...

But the pressure is building - there is no going back.

McT

The Humble Scot!
CellC's real test is in Gauteng, where there is a higher concentration of people and one Ook. ;)

The article's headline is misleading, I was expecting CellC's data to be on the table as well...

+1

Antonf

Expert Member

+1

Polo786

I dont know if it is everywhere but in the Paarl\Stellenbosch region you can get a Nokia 5230 + Modem and Sim(2GB*12 months) for R145 a month

Last edited:

CeeBee

Expert Member
jaa, but does the 8ta data roll over? makes big diff if not
telkom's wcdma data bundles do not roll over & last for 2 months

vzta22

Cell C's network is HSPA+, if they are included in the comparison we would not compare apples with apples.