A VDSL setup that doesn't suck? (Including router suggestions)

miltzi

A few months ago I upgraded to 20Mbps VDSL and purchased the PACE 921VNX router.

The router is a complete flop and I have to restart it just about every day when it stops responding. Today I disabled WiFi on it and am using my old Netgear DGN2200 for WiFi to see if it helps with this issue. I wanted to disable DHCP as well and use my netgear for everything besides the internet connection, but I realised the netgear doesn't actually have a WAN port for bridge mode.

After some searching online it seems that there aren't any really good/stable VDSL routers, so i'm planning on buying a new router and using the PACE for internet only.

So I have two questions; a) Am I wrong about there not being any good VDSL modems or modem/router combos?
b) If not, what router do you suggest I buy to use in bridge mode with the PACE as a modem only? I'm so sick of networking issues, i'm looking for a really good router that just won't give me trouble. I considered the ASUS RT-AC66U (http://www.takealot.com/asus-rt-ac66u-dual-band-wireless-ac1750-gigabit-router/PLID28014657), but after reading reviews on Amazon it seems quite a few people say that the router starts needing frequent restarts after a few months of use.

I also had a look at the TP-Link Archer C7, the reviews seem good but why such a low price? A review on takealot also says that the model we currently get in SA is the old model, not the V2.

If my budget is R3000, will I be able to get a router that puts an end to my networking troubles? Does such a router even exist at a consumer level?

(Bonus points for wireless AC/able to buy with ebucks)

Edit: I now realise this should be in the VDSL section. Can it be moved by a mod? (I'm new)

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Maybe you have a dud. I've hardly ever needed to restart my Pace since I've had it. We have one at the office too which is just as stable.

snowwolf

Agree with DrJohnZoidberg. As much as I hate to admit it, the Pace router is pretty decent. I haven't restarted mine in weeks, and I run a number of devices through mine and change the accounts daily.
Perhaps get it swopped out.

Other option for you would be to get a another VDSL router (TP-Link or the like), and get yourself a AC Wireless AP and hook them up. Depends on your need and budget.

mister

Executive Member
I run mine in bridge mode and it has never needed restarting

cobusv

same here i use the pace vnx and mine never needs restarting

miltzi

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted Telkom and hopefully they'll give me a new one. Will post results

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Thanks for the replies. I have contacted Telkom and hopefully they'll give me a new one. Will post results
They're normally pretty good with this. Last time I had an issue with a router they just gave me a new one, they didn't even test the old one first.

miltzi

They're normally pretty good with this. Last time I had an issue with a router they just gave me a new one, they didn't even test the old one first.
Any idea if i'll need the slip? Bought it at a local Telkom store but not sure if I still have the slip.

PsyCLown

Expert Member
I looooove my Billion VDSL router! :D

Sure it does not support 802.11AC but with the money saved (if your budget is R3K) then you can buy yourself an 802.11AC AP and be all happy, if it really makes a difference.

miltzi

Update: I couldn't find the slip but I managed to convince them to exchange it using a printed out bank statement. Heading home with the new router and hopefully no more restarts will be needed. Will post results

miltzi

UPDATE: The new router doesn't seem to need restarting like the other one did, but it is having problems assigning IP addresses occasionally, which a restart fixes. Since Friday I have had to restart it twice owing to it no longer being able to assign IPs to new clients.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

On a separate note, I was having a look at the D-Link DIR-868L as a possible router to use as an AP instead of the PACE. I'm assuming I would be able to turn off WiFi and DHCP on the PACE, and connect it to the D-Link via WAN and use the D-Link as my main router. Is this correct? Also, does anyone know anything about this specific D-Link? The reviews seem very complimentary.

Kalahari stocks it at http://www.kalahari.com/Technology/D-LINK-WIFI-802-11AC-1750-CLOUD-ROUTER-4X-GB_p_48488440

milomak

Honorary Master
seems quite expensive.

i use a linksys wrt-54gl as my ap. wireless and dhcp turned off on the pace.