ABSA NotifyMe costs 48c per e-mail

Do you feel crooked when charged 48c for an e-mail notification by ABSA?

• Yes

Votes: 196 98.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

IRVING

Then just choose sms, i dont think u would want notifications of old transaction in your inbox when you can get instant alerts on your cellphone whenever

Nuro

Expert Member
Then just choose sms, i dont think u would want notifications of old transaction in your inbox when you can get instant alerts on your cellphone whenever
The problem is, even their sms service is shoddy sometimes. I have waited over 2 hours for some messages to be delivered.

SinghDude

Chief Sports Analyst
Even 48c for an SMS is ludicrous.

ABSA, like most banks will milk you dry , they will generate income from any revenue stream

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
The problem is, even their sms service is shoddy sometimes. I have waited over 2 hours for some messages to be delivered.
Mine have always be instant, but I do often get SMSs well after the 10PM time limit I set up

Beetman

Similar sms service is FREE with many other banks....
For instance on my FNB Cheque account and Kulula Credit Card sms alerts are free....
Think Capitec has a similar free service....
Not a good move by ABSA...

dougatthewoods

I've got an account with ABSA where banking is free if you keep a certain balance, but they charge R5 for emailed statements? WTF! Again, great margins!

People would prefer email over sms as you can keep a history in a folder. And smartphones allow for easy access to email...

rph72

Executive Member
FNB's Incontact is free for SMS & email.

Did ABSA perhaps partner with Vodacon for this NotifyMe?

bierman

WELL this makes me smiling knowing i work for FNB, FNB gives free cellphone banking, free online banking, free incontact.

THe one reason why In-Contact is free with FNB is becuase they only send out a sms for purchases from R100 and more. If they had to change it so you get a sms for a 1 cent for instance then they will end up charging, and most people now a day's transact R100+ each time, ( good tip is to just check yout statement still for ANY STRANGE amounts )

superskully

Expert Member
Have the instant alert - for cheque and CC - both have been instant.
Cheque account i dont pay - included in package - but CC i do.
Also have discovery cc - and there i dont pay.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
FNB ftw, I pay one monthly fee, and everything I do costs me absolutely nothing, unless I am desperate and draw from another bank's ATM or forget my card, and need to send money to an FNB atm using my phone banking. ( which is damned epic )

mjkelly

I dont feel ripped off by ABSA's bank charges, simply because I don't bank with them. And if YOU do, I am dumbfounded as to why! :whistling:

Jabberwocky

Expert Member
Shame on you Absa... capilatising on crime like that.
lol at absa`s marketing response. Its even sadder than the 48c ripoffs. Looks a bit automated.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
NotifyMe is free on certain packages. Also with regards to an SMS being late, keep in mind that a SMS is a best effort service , not guaranteed whereas email is a lot more controlled as to delivery/sending and failure.

rorz0r

Executive Member
FNB's Incontact is free for SMS & email.

Did ABSA perhaps partner with Vodacon for this NotifyMe?
inContact is free, ie. notifications coming to you. They do charge however if you want to make a payment and want the recipient to receive an email/sms/fax. Generally easier to download the thing yourself and email it for free though.

TitanKing

Absa sends very high quality emails through premium servers that is why it costs 48c per email. These emails even have a fragrance.

Oh and Absa does not like stupid Afrikaners like myself :/

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
Capitec bank. You even get free sms notifications. Capitec is growing at an exceptional rate. Do the warning lights not flash for ABSA already? Change or die. It's as simple as that. And to be honest, I hope in time it's the latter.