Activating ADSL Line without paying for voice line impossible?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Is it at all possible to get a Telkom ADSL line without paying for the voice line rental aswell? This really feels like we're living in the stone ages if that's the case. I only use my work phone for calls, and my cellphone for mobile browsing and emergencies, adds up to R50 max a month, so the voice rental alone would be more than 2 times that.

My problem is that I really have no use AT ALL for a voice line.

Does anyone know of any ISP's offering something where that is for free? R111 plus R300 for just the line seems ridiculously exorbitant for South Africa.

This means I will pay minimum R600 a month for uncapped 1Mbps

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Not yet no.

Thanks HavocXphere. Judging by that reply, does it mean you have come across info somewhere that this will change soon, or am I reading things that I want to?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I have stayed away from anything of Hellkom as long as I could, but now I need more bandwidth and I am learning about ADSL as fast as I can.

Thanks again.

Executive Member
Telkom bundles the voice line and DSL line. It's not possible to get them separately at this time.

Naked DSL is hopefully something we will have in the future. At this point, you're forced to join the rest of us and get a voice line you don't need or use.

Pada

Executive Member
Ho3n3r:
There are lots of threads/articles regarding Naked ADSL & Local Loop Unbundling, which all relates to this.

It would probably be a couple of years (I suppose not before 2015) before we'll be able to get DSL without having to pay for telephone/voice line rental too.

If ICASA could just get their act together, then we can see this happening sooner, as well as for all the costs coming down too.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Telkom bundles the voice line and DSL line. It's not possible to get them separately at this time.

Naked DSL is hopefully something we will have in the future. At this point, you're forced to join the rest of us and get a voice line you don't need or use.

Thank you. So for now I will stay away from ADSL until users are respected. Which seems to be a long wait.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Problem is ADSL is so much more efficent depending on what you use it for that a lot of folks pay the "tax" as it works out better than going with the alternative.

Still Bull though.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
You could try uncapped lite from MWwEB for R350/month all inclusive and avoid making calls from your landline.

Pada

Executive Member
DrYes, that R350pm (all inclusive) still excludes the voice line rental that you'll have to pay Telkom!

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Thanks Pada, Kosmik and DrYes.

My point is I HATE having to pay for stuff I don't want. And I don't want voice line.

I have Vodacom 3G 2GB + 2GB, which is good, but I need an ADSL line for online gaming, and uncapped for downloads. The thing I DON'T need is voice line rental.

How is this good Business? One of my Portuguese colleagues just showed me their main provider in Portugal, where you pay 44 Euros(R450) for 15Mbps line, 30 TV channels and a bunch of other stuff I've never even heard of.

Why is it justifiable for Telkom to charge us almost that just for the bloody line?!

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
You could try uncapped lite from MWwEB for R350/month all inclusive and avoid making calls from your landline.

Sorry, but I cannot find the 'MWEB Uncapped Lite' Product on their website. I would prefer at least a 1Mbps line, does this product include that?

Thanks again!

Yuu

Executive Member
You can take the 384 option as all 384 (subject to exchange etc) will be upgraded starting June this to year to 1MB so slow speed now...then get an upgrade for free.

At this point we don't know if MWEB and other iSPs will be charging a seperate fee as 1MB will be upped to 2MB aswell.

For being safe on above, stick with Telkom, if you don't mind waiting for official word then take the one from Mweb :p.

Either way, as said above, ADSL is efficient and we just gotta pay sadly.

/crazy idea, you could always ask the neighbour to cancel his landline, route a line from your adsl line to his house and ask him to foot the VOICE portion every month lol /end crazy idea...

Sorry, but I cannot find the 'MWEB Uncapped Lite' Product on their website. I would prefer at least a 1Mbps line, does this product include that?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yuu how solid is that info RE the start of June? Everyone kinda knows about it but I haven't seen anything official announcement type thing. Did I miss it?

noxibox

Honorary Master
Is it at all possible to get a Telkom ADSL line without paying for the voice line rental aswell? This really feels like we're living in the stone ages if that's the case.
Used to be the same in the UK. £10 per month for voice line whether you wanted to make calls or not.

My point is I HATE having to pay for stuff I don't want. And I don't want voice line.
You'd pay the same anyway. They'd just call it ADSL-only, but it would cost more.

How is this good Business? One of my Portuguese colleagues just showed me their main provider in Portugal, where you pay 44 Euros(R450) for 15Mbps line, 30 TV channels and a bunch of other stuff I've never even heard of.
In the UK we had a broadband provider and we got a lot of services for a fairly low fee, but that was separate from the BT line rental. Thing is you simply cannot really compare the prices. South Africa's population needs to grow a lot or become much more concentrated.

Why is it justifiable for Telkom to charge us almost that just for the bloody line?!
Because they can.

Yuu

Executive Member
Its what i picked up from all the threads but i can't confirm it being true so at this point take it with a pinch of sour salt :p.

Yuu how solid is that info RE the start of June? Everyone kinda knows about it but I haven't seen anything official announcement type thing. Did I miss it?

@Ho3n3r regarding the analogue portion, telkom says it pays for mainting it and that they are selling adsl at below cost (well from my understanding) so hence why they never drop it / seperate it. Come naked adsl then we shall see for real.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Its what i picked up from all the threads but i can't confirm it being true so at this point take it with a pinch of sour salt :p.

@Ho3n3r regarding the analogue portion, telkom says it pays for mainting it and that they are selling adsl at below cost (well from my understanding) so hence why they never drop it / seperate it. Come naked adsl then we shall see for real.

Jis, I really hope this could happen! Does a 384 line ever go higher than 384 when network usage is low? I could do with it if overnight downloads are fast enough...

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Nope. Can never go faster.

Essentially 40kB/s is the limit (=384kbps minus overheads)