Anthro

Expert Member
Hi guys, installed PiHole on a South African VPS.. blocking about 2.6mil advert domains.
Use this as your DNS to stress test it for me if you can !
[REMOVED]

Last edited:

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Saw this:
MyBB.jpg

Also, my web browsing is a lot slower now. Going to change back to 8.8.8.8 to confirm if it is DNS or just the Neotel 5mbps fibre acting up again...

Anthro

Expert Member
hmm okay will take a look,
I do block display.mybroadband.co.za which is where they host most the adverts
Ive turned off the blocking for now, tell me if the resolution is quicker ?

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Why a VPS? I have it running on a raspberry pi and its super quick. Don't even notice a slowdown.

Anthro

Expert Member
Why a VPS? I have it running on a raspberry pi and its super quick. Don't even notice a slowdown.
Have been running a Pi for about 6 months now, so wanted to expand and see whats up and,
Im always tinkering :) wanted to host one for my friends with some decent caching and blocking.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Have been running a Pi for about 6 months now, so wanted to expand and see whats up and,
Im always tinkering :) wanted to host one for my friends with some decent caching and blocking.

What you can also try is point the Pihole to OpenDNS. You can create a free home account, and flag what you want to block, incase Pihole misses some new malicious link, etc.

Anthro

Expert Member
What you can also try is point the Pihole to OpenDNS. You can create a free home account, and flag what you want to block, incase Pihole misses some new malicious link, etc.

Busy doing that at the moment , just trying to figure out how I am going to verify the damn mail lol

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
Ok, made some changes... please let me know how it is currently, if possible

ThatGuy_ZA

Good work!

I've got two pi-holes at home but I was wondering why you're only blocking 36 domains? I've got >100 000 domains on my block list.

Thor

Honorary Master
Good work!

I've got two pi-holes at home but I was wondering why you're only blocking 36 domains? I've got >100 000 domains on my block list.
I also run Pihole yet youtube ads stills appear.

Anthro

Expert Member
Good work!

Was tinkering to see what may be the issue, at first I was sitting at about 2.6mil domains, wanted to see if the amount of domains was the cause for speed issue or what.
I will up the list as I go along.
Q: Why 2 Ph-Holes ? redundancy or load balancing?
With regards to the display.mybroadband.co.za, it seems that is also where they host news - i blocked that as it showed adverts, so will find another way

Thor, with regards to Youtube, they are clever - in hosting the advert on the Youtube.com domain - so its a slippery slope to block

Last edited:

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Nice idea but a word of warning, you should really not use a DNS server you don't absolutely trust.
It's easy enough for anyone in control of the server to redirect your banking traffic to a fake site.

Not suggesting you are, Anthro, just pointing out the obvious for anyone wanting to do this - it's an enormous security risk.

So those who understand this and know what they are doing, feel have at it. For testing purposes, no biggie. Don't use it for day to day.

ThatGuy_ZA

Q: Why 2 Ph-Holes ? redundancy or load balancing?

Redundancy - I reboot my primary Pi every now and then so it's useful to have the second one. Pi-Hole is also super lightweight so it doesn't put much of a load on my Pi's.

Anthro

Expert Member
Has anyone managed to block YouTube ads using Pi-hole?

Very difficult, because they host it in many times on the YT site.
Adblock plus (and more recently Ive been using Adlblock Genesis Plus) filters out the url patterns and blocks nicely

static_sa

Expert Member
Adblock plus (and more recently Ive been using Adlblock Genesis Plus) filters out the url patterns and blocks nicely

I have just added googleadservices.com to the whitelist and it seems to have gotten rid of the continues ad I was seeing.

Hopefully all their ads start with that domain :D

Thepax

Yup and it has gotten more difficult since the now get their ads directly injected in the video stream.