Afrihost Cell C network problems

barendict

I am creating this new thread with a more specific title (after investigating the issue further) so that people can easily find this when browsing the forum. There currently exists and issue with the Fixed Cell C package offered by Afrihost. The symptoms are random connection disconnects, resets and errors. I have asked Afrihost to indicate this on their Network Status Page as currently it shows "No problems to report on our Mobile and Wireless Network". This is not correct and not fair to their users. A statement here on MyBroadband will also go a long way.
Please see this thread for some background info:
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/cell-c-fixed-lte-data-throughput-experience.971831/

NB: I do have confirmation from Afrihost support that the issue is being raised with the relevant people at Afrihost

Koosie

Seems like its a Cell C issue, im with Axxess and im also getting the exact same issues.

Heno7777

Hey. I am getting the same problem form time to time. Disconnecting. Real frustrating if you are busy live streaming.

///MoH

Experiencing the same with Afrihost. Every hour or so the connection drops. Really frustrating

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Experiencing the same with Afrihost. Every hour or so the connection drops. Really frustrating
Hi ///MoH

Have you raised this matter with Afrihost before?

^MP

///MoH

Hi ///MoH

Have you raised this matter with Afrihost before?

^MP
Not yet, will log a ticket tomorrow. I have to toggle to 3g and then back 4g on my b618 for it to connect sometimes... It's ridiculous

8BitLife

Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem. Been a month on the Cell C Fixed Wireless LTE-A 50GB package through Afrihost. I can say that AT LEAST once an hour the connection drops. It has just been getting worse. It used to reestablish a connection within a minute or two. Now I actually have to restart my router and even then it sometimes won't give me a connection saying 'Your profile is invalid. Please contact your service provider.'

This is getting ridiculous! Logged many complaints with Afrihost over the past month and nothing gets done. Just keep hearing how they are aware of the issue but can't figure out what is causing it.

Not impressed with the speeds either. I live in Blairgowrie which does have LTE-A coverage according to Cell C's own website. On a good day I get maybe 7Mbps down and about 10Mbps up. Again, on a good. More often than not I get 3-4Mbps down and 5-7Mbps up. This while Cell C says on their website I can expect up to 100Mbps on LTE-A. Fair enough, they say up to but still, I would expect to get speeds closer to 100 than 0.

Definitely not impressed with this service. Once the 6 months are up, I'm cancelling.

blade19941

I havent been able to connect to the network since August.
Afrihost keeps saying its my router. I've tested it with other service providers amd it works fine

praetor360

This is getting preposterous, Last month I had saved up about nine gigs of data for a netflix binge day at the end of the month and the apn issue saw it removed, I have logged and asked what they plan to do about it but I have not had any feedback. at this stage my internet died two days ago, no intermittent connection even. changing the apn settings also did not resolve the issue. no one seems to be able to grasp what is wrong which is costing us as the end users a large amount of downtime and money. also looking at other options.

hattter

The best way I have found to force the router to reconnect is installing the huaweiHiLink app "make sure your phone is connected to the wifi", in the app after logging in go to ->Settings(gear in right-hand corner)->Network->NetworkCarier->Network Search "make sure prefered network is 4G or the search will take long"->then spam click on cell c 4G as fast as you can.

might only be me but this works 80% of the time in an instant reconnect try i am curious

recken

I am experiencing the same thing ... it lead me to email Afrihost and demand my money back under the Consumer Protection Act.

Some good news on the Afrihost site now... perhaps they do care after all ... but maybe too late to keep my business.

Afrihost reset every hour.jpg

hattter

I am experiencing the same thing ... it lead me to email Afrihost and demand my money back under the Consumer Protection Act.

Some good news on the Afrihost site now... perhaps they do care after all ... but maybe too late to keep my business.

View attachment 565043
Key word “possible “ might take another 6 months

clouduser

So glad I found this thread. I am having exactly the same problem. I also have to switch my connection on and off and wait until the "3G" chnages to "4G". I have found Afrihost's responses to be slow and utterly unhelpful.
Look at this one, for example:
"The package you have is a Fixed wireless and it is meant to be located on a fixed place and connect to one tower so that it can work very well. I have picked up from above statement I have quoted from you that you are using the sim card on your phone and that simcard is not meant to be used on a phone but selected routers or the one that comes with the packager 'Huawei b315' You wont have good connection or service if you use the simcard on your phone. "

Has anyone had any improvement is service?

hattter

So glad I found this thread. I am having exactly the same problem. I also have to switch my connection on and off and wait until the "3G" chnages to "4G". I have found Afrihost's responses to be slow and utterly unhelpful.
"The package you have is a Fixed wireless and it is meant to be located on a fixed place and connect to one tower so that it can work very well. I have picked up from above statement I have quoted from you that you are using the sim card on your phone and that simcard is not meant to be used on a phone but selected routers or the one that comes with the packager 'Huawei b315' You wont have good connection or service if you use the simcard on your phone. "

nope

NGinCreator

View attachment 565043
Hmm, glad this has an "official" thread. For me this has been ramping up over the past week. I've logged a ticket to switch back to RAIN now. Can't charge migration fees if the service was faulty in the first place.

Bruce_Wayne

Hah Ha I have to laugh.. cellc support told me to switch router off if I don't need connection, So that when I switch it back on it might connect to a less congested tower.. the creativity in their answers, hilarious..
The service and product is crap and I'm sorry I signed up.. Afrihost told me not to go RAIN because their network more congested than Cellc ... but it seems Afrihost is all about BS..

compu

Quick question.... Anyone know how to get your router to point to a different tower? From what I see using the opensignal app, it is currently pointing to a tower that's a bit far away when I have one literally less than 800m away..... Some sort of help would be appreciated