Cell C fixed LTE data throughput experience

barendict

Good morning,

I got the Cell C fixed LTE package from Afrihost earlier this week and at the moment I am feeling disappointed. My downstream throughput is between 3 and 6 Mbps and the upstream between 5 and 10 Mbps. Is this normal? I was hoping for 20Mbps or 15Mbps at a bare minimum. I am in Strand, Helderberg. Anybody else getting the same speeds? If so it is unacceptable, surely? It would come down to relatively small data packages at slow speeds that's more expensive than the alternatives like dsl/fibre. This can't be right.

Koosie

I'm with Axxess on the Cell C 100GB also recieved my goods on Wednesday, using a B315 LTE Route.

In Pretoria East Faerie Glen speedtest on my wifi.

Download: 14-16Mbps
Upload: 18 - 20 Mbps

Hayat3

Good morning,

I got the Cell C fixed LTE package from Afrihost earlier this week and at the moment I am feeling disappointed. My downstream throughput is between 3 and 6 Mbps and the upstream between 5 and 10 Mbps. Is this normal? I was hoping for 20Mbps or 15Mbps at a bare minimum. I am in Strand, Helderberg. Anybody else getting the same speeds? If so it is unacceptable, surely? It would come down to relatively small data packages at slow speeds that's more expensive than the alternatives like dsl/fibre. This can't be right.
Your speeds are faster than most.Cell C throughput is beyond pathetic.

barendict

I am now also getting random connection errors. Connection reset. Connection refused etc. My signal shows 5 bars (full) on the huawei web interface. This is absolutely laughable. Stay away until there is an official response from Cell C.

e4et

Expert Member
This is not good news, I am planning to move to MWEB's of Afrihost's Cell C offering in September :unsure:

Lostee

This is not good news, I am planning to move to MWEB's of Afrihost's Cell C offering in September :unsure:
I am also skeptical now... I am currently waiting for Afrihost's R1 to clear in my bank account so I can verify my bank details. I know for sure than in my building, Telkom is good. A friend of mine is getting between 20 and 30Mbps. But Telkom's 24 month contract is what's stopping me from joining them. But the reviews of Cell C are rather alarming to say the least.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I have two SIM cards (Telkom and Cell C) and alternate between the two depending on my travels (Telkom Smartbroadband Wireless being valid only 31 days while Cell C 200Gb is valid 365).

I basically take the Telkom package when I know I'll spend most of the month in JHB and otherwise use Cell C.

I usually reach around 15Mbps with both even though Telkom has signal bar less than Cell C.

Telkom has more bugs and requires more reboots though.

e4et

Expert Member
I am also skeptical now... I am currently waiting for Afrihost's R1 to clear in my bank account so I can verify my bank details. I know for sure than in my building, Telkom is good. A friend of mine is getting between 20 and 30Mbps. But Telkom's 24 month contract is what's stopping me from joining them. But the reviews of Cell C are rather alarming to say the least.
I just had a look and Telkom has some good prepaid LTE deals for Wireless Prepaid sim holders.
They have a 60 + 60 LTE/LTE-A once off bundle for R555, which for me personally is better that the Cell C 100 gig for R530.

Think I might just stick to the Telkom once off bundles for the time being.

barendict

I have two SIM cards (Telkom and Cell C) and alternate between the two depending on my travels (Telkom Smartbroadband Wireless being valid only 31 days while Cell C 200Gb is valid 365).

I basically take the Telkom package when I know I'll spend most of the month in JHB and otherwise use Cell C.

I usually reach around 15Mbps with both even though Telkom has signal bar less than Cell C.

Telkom has more bugs and requires more reboots though.
I also have a Telkom sim. Getting 2 - 3 bars signal but 20 - 30Mbps throughput without any connection errors. I know people have been giving RAIN a hard time for "temporarily" stopping the sale of fixed LTE but it might be the honorable thing to do to prevent the same situation facing Cell C in certain areas. I would like to figure out how wide spread the issue is.

Hayat3

I am now also getting random connection errors. Connection reset. Connection refused etc. My signal shows 5 bars (full) on the huawei web interface. This is absolutely laughable. Stay away until there is an official response from Cell C.
The messed up part is compared to other providers,Cell C signal always provides full bars on the huawei web interface.Yet the connection speed(if you can connect) is abysmal.

Shamiel_1

I'm with Afrihost for years now and moved from Rain LTE-A to the new Cell C Fixed Wireless 100GB package due to the double data promotion on the Rain LTE-A Network that's coming to an end the end of November 2018 and i'm rather very disappointed i did the move. I'm getting intermittent connectivity, can hardly get onto a simple website it's just crazy. I called Afrihost this morning and the consultant i spoke to told me that their customers are experiencing issues with the network but cannot say when it will be fixed! I will give it a few more days to see if anything changes if not I'm cancelling it with immediate effect before the 60 days runs out :) I'm not complaining here just giving my experience on the package i have.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
The messed up part is compared to other providers,Cell C signal always provides full bars on the huawei web interface.Yet the connection speed(if you can connect) is abysmal.
I have the Cell C fibre router (that allows you to put a sim too), a Zyxel I think, and the bars show correctly on Cell C and Telkom.

barendict

I'm with Afrihost for years now and moved from Rain LTE-A to the new Cell C Fixed Wireless 100GB package due to the double data promotion on the Rain LTE-A Network that's coming to an end the end of November 2018 and i'm rather very disappointed i did the move. I'm getting intermittent connectivity, can hardly get onto a simple website it's just crazy. I called Afrihost this morning and the consultant i spoke to told me that their customers are experiencing issues with the network but cannot say when it will be fixed! I will give it a few more days to see if anything changes if not I'm cancelling it with immediate effect before the 60 days runs out :) I'm not complaining here just giving my experience on the package i have.
So I am also on Cell C fixed LTE via Afrihost and have also today confirmed with Afrihost that it is a known issue. The statement from Afrihost is that their own engineers are working on the problem. So it may or may not be a problem with Cell C. It seems that it might actually reside with Afrihost.

Shamiel_1

So I am also on Cell C fixed LTE via Afrihost and have also today confirmed with Afrihost that it is a known issue. The statement from Afrihost is that their own engineers are working on the problem. So it may or may not be a problem with Cell C. It seems that it might actually reside with Afrihost.
I agree with you this is an Afrihost issue.. I have a dual SIM and my Cell C data on my mobile phone is perfectly fine get way better speeds than on my WiFi connectivity.

I have done a speed test and I see the hosting server is airmobile.co.za which takes you directly to Afrihost site. I've sent them and email saying I refuse to pay for this service as the service is not as promised on their website.

ikramj

Put my sim in cellphone to find best signal in house , when I ran speedtest the service provider comes up as Cell C but when sim is in WebAfrica supplied router (B315) provider shows as Internet Solution.
Why would that be ?

barendict

highvoltage

I also have Cell C Fixed LTE in Bellville. It was great a few months ago but recently my international throughput has skydived, I typically get around 50KB-200KB per second, which is pretty horrible on LTE (used to peak at around 5MB/s not too long ago. WebAfrica's service is also pretty horrible because you can't just report a routing problem, they keep wanting me to re-seat the sim card, reset the router to factory settings, etc even though it clearly has nothing to do with the problem. I have great signal to my closes tower.

Hayat3

I also have Cell C Fixed LTE in Bellville. It was great a few months ago but recently my international throughput has skydived, I typically get around 50KB-200KB per second, which is pretty horrible on LTE (used to peak at around 5MB/s not too long ago. WebAfrica's service is also pretty horrible because you can't just report a routing problem, they keep wanting me to re-seat the sim card, reset the router to factory settings, etc even though it clearly has nothing to do with the problem. I have great signal to my closes tower.
They will probably give you the same response I received which is to state that your house is far away from the closest tower.Your best option would just to cancel and try and obtain a better provider instead of paying for their crappy product.

mcdui

Boston Bellville Cape Town
Router Hauwei B315
Until 6 - 9 months ago I got 20 - 25 Mbps download with an external antenna.
There are 2 CellC towers near me - one just under 1km the other 1km away on the N1
My antenna on 6th floor is directed line of sight to closest.
Ping varies from 30 to 325
Download .66 to 2.4Mbps
Upload 15 - 18 Mbps

Most likely cause is that a while ago the number of CellC sales to users exceeded their capacity.