Cell C fixed LTE data throughput experience

Boston Bellville Cape Town
Router Hauwei B315
Until 6 - 9 months ago I got 20 - 25 Mbps download with an external antenna.
There are 2 CellC towers near me - one just under 1km the other 1km away on the N1
My antenna on 6th floor is directed line of sight to closest.
Ping varies from 30 to 325
Download .66 to 2.4Mbps
Upload 15 - 18 Mbps

Most likely cause is that a while ago the number of CellC sales to users exceeded their capacity.
:mad::mad::mad: And cell c rep on mybroadband refuses to respond to any of these threads.

retsila

I'm with Axxess on the Cell C 100GB also recieved my goods on Wednesday, using a B315 LTE Route.

In Pretoria East Faerie Glen speedtest on my wifi.

Download: 14-16Mbps
Upload: 18 - 20 Mbps

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am in Durbanville and have been on Cell-C Fixed LTE-A now for three months. My account is with M-Web and I have a Huawei B-315 router. Use various flavours of Windows, Linux, Raspbian, and Android.

Signal strength is never a problem - all bars always. However, network and service stability is a problem. Recently there have regular times when you cannot connect for short periods of time - during the day (office hours) and during peak hours. Sometimes the router will indicate it has lost its connection and cannot connect.

The speed is generally acceptable - using SpeedTest I will get up to 3-8 Mbps during peak hours and up to 20 Mbps outside times.

What is concerning (for me) is that after midnight Cell-C seems to be running tests and the network is often unstable. I run automated processes which need to connect to time sensitive applications on the Internet and these network outages really shunts me around - an my apps then often fail to connect.

Overall, the service has been much better than my ADSL service - which went down at least once a month for several days at a time and then the techies would only come and fix it on a Sunday (overtime !), and over time the line performance kept getting degraded.

My requirement is network stability rather than ultimate speed..... And network stability in our area is definitely a problem.

retsila

With LTE-A the coverage of a mast is dynamic and may dynamically shrink to manage traffic to less than 800m !

Mista_Mobsta

I am on CellC Fixed LTE-A and can definitely confirm the erratic network throughput. Earlier in the year (Using Huawei 618-B router) I was regularly getting 35-45MB/s Down and 20-30MB/s Up. Lately I struggle to get anything more than 10MB/s Down and Up at the best of times. Signal strength also fantastic as CellC base +- 200m from my house. Wonder if there is a way to monitor GSM area traffic as could be that peak time users have increased substantially in my area due to lack of fibre availability?

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
I am on CellC Fixed LTE-A and can definitely confirm the erratic network throughput. Earlier in the year (Using Huawei 618-B router) I was regularly getting 35-45MB/s Down and 20-30MB/s Up. Lately I struggle to get anything more than 10MB/s Down and Up at the best of times. Signal strength also fantastic as CellC base +- 200m from my house. Wonder if there is a way to monitor GSM area traffic as could be that peak time users have increased substantially in my area due to lack of fibre availability?

Hi Mista_Mobsta

Please PM us the number in question/ID number and you location.

Additionally, please provide us with the number that we can reach you on.

^MP

HerZeLeiD

Cell C has always had a terrible network overall when it came to internet. Bad download speed and bad pings especially if you connect to EU servers. Friend in Durban got Cell C fixed recently and he has the same issues I had in Cape Town. Terrible download speed and packetloss. Suppose it's just "okay" if you don't play online games.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Cell C has always had a terrible network overall when it came to internet. Bad download speed and bad pings especially if you connect to EU servers. Friend in Durban got Cell C fixed recently and he has the same issues I had in Cape Town. Terrible download speed and packetloss. Suppose it's just "okay" if you don't play online games.

Hi HerZeLeiD

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Please PM us the number in question/ID number, as well as your location.

We also request that you provide us with a number that we can reach you on.

^MP

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Depends where you are, the south of the country has always had bad speeds and the north is usually fine. It was due to different equipment from different manufacturers being installed in the two areas.

I don’t know if it is still the case.

highvoltage

Boston Bellville Cape Town
Router Hauwei B315
Until 6 - 9 months ago I got 20 - 25 Mbps download with an external antenna.
There are 2 CellC towers near me - one just under 1km the other 1km away on the N1
My antenna on 6th floor is directed line of sight to closest.
Ping varies from 30 to 325
Download .66 to 2.4Mbps
Upload 15 - 18 Mbps

Most likely cause is that a while ago the number of CellC sales to users exceeded their capacity.
Yeah in De La Haye, Bellville I also have towers close by and my signal is great. Obviously some router or something close by that has a problem, but they are unwilling to look into it.

Bruce_Wayne

Dear Bruce

Thank you for contacting Cell C regarding your network speeds.

Please advise if you're still experiencing issues with the network?

^NZ
yes certainly am.
Earlier today I was getting around 7 to 8 down which is kind of acceptable, now it's half and I assume it'll be the same as yesterdays a bit later.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi Bruce_Wayne

When did you start experiencing an issue regarding connection?

^MP