Afrihost double data: good and bad news

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The double ADSL might just convince me to stay with them for another few months.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Bad news: Afrihost Double Mobile Data is ending December 2014.
Good news: Axxess Double Mobile Data, with 3 months rollover, is not.

abbott10k

Time to move over to Axxess then. This will be my last month with Afrihost for sure...

krycor

Honorary Master

But if Afrihost owns Axxess and it's also via MTN i don't see this lasting beyond Jan 2015 (or basically whatever they defined as 'summer')? can't remember when Axxess review is come to think of it.. I have the Afrihost+ thingy.. meh still evaluating if its worth keeping as only use is dbl + 0.5 Gb but at 75% of the cost (2+2).

ps. wish i could have one account(mobile data) for all my sims.

Last edited:

purejimcn

Time to move over to Axxess then. This will be my last month with Afrihost for sure...

just cancelled my 2 5+5 gig accounts with Afrihost and signed up at Axxess... this price change was just too much, 50% value decrease or 33% price increase is just too much. I'm actually sad because Axxess and Afrihost are literally 1 company but Afrihost's deal is only maybe worthwhile for guys on 10+10 deals, even then it's a 20% price increase!

abbott10k

But if Afrihost owns Axxess and it's also via MTN i don't see this lasting beyond Jan 2015 (or basically whatever they defined as 'summer')? can't remember when Axxess review is come to think of it.. I have the Afrihost+ thingy.. meh still evaluating if its worth keeping as only use is dbl + 0.5 Gb but at 75% of the cost (2+2).

They just said as long as possible, if I can remember. But when they stop, I'm sure someone else will pick up the baton.

purejimcn

at this rate its better to go mtn direct than use afrihost...

JimM

Expert Member
It's odd that Afrihost don't think that they will lose mobile data customers...

If the independent survey results are accurate then some 56% of their clients will be off!!

Only 8% are showing that they will subscribe to the R99 surcharge.

42% also indicated that they are hoping that double data would stay... How many of these will join the bye-bye brigade is yet to be seen...

Simple independent survey is here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/665009-Take-the-Afrihost-Double-Data-Survey

Totempole

Expert Member
Whoops. Cancelled my capped account with them thinking ADSL double data was also set to end. Have reactivated it. :)

Not sure I want to stay with them though. I can get the same deal elsewhere and not have to worry about losing half my data subscription.

Will have to discuss the Mobile data subscription with my brother though, since he's the one using and paying for it. Will most likely cancel or at the very least downgrade. :(

1GB for R99 will be fine until a better deal with another provider comes along.

EDIT: Actually :) Axxess sounds good.

Last edited:

Sodan

Expert Member
Okay guys, what are the alternatives? I'm in Gordon's Bay. Can anyone recommend a good WISP in the area?

CeeBee

Expert Member
thats nice.... now if only telkom can fix the f*n adsl line already, then i may just be able to use it.
alas... looks like i'm gonna have to move away from Afrihost, getting all Telkom'ed out

kianm

Honorary Master

Have cancelled one of my sims and will cancel the other one once I have received from Axxess. 2 good reason to go to move
1 : The 3 month roll over.
2: The double data. (probably short lived)

PS: I know AH owns Axxess

purejimcn

It's odd that Afrihost don't think that they will lose mobile data customers...

If the independent survey results are accurate then some 56% of their clients will be off!!

Only 8% are showing that they will subscribe to the R99 surcharge.

42% also indicated that they are hoping that double data would stay... How many of these will join the bye-bye brigade is yet to be seen...

Simple independent survey is here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/665009-Take-the-Afrihost-Double-Data-Survey

I think the problem there is very few people actually responded to the survey... but if they bring the double mobile data back I will go back to them, it will just cost them another round of sim and delivery costs...

LCBXX

Honorary Master
It does not really matter who owns who. The one ISP continues offers something which the other has announced they will not post December 2014. No brainier for me.

MickeyD

RIP
I was one of the first AH customers who signed up for the free MiFi device plus mobile data.

Now?

About to cancel.

Where to?

Not finalised yet but the Telkom All networks mobile data offer looks good. So far.

Other options for 2 or 2.5GB of mobile data per month?

Electron1

Expert Member
I was one of the first AH customers who signed up for the free MiFi device plus mobile data.

Now?

About to cancel.

Where to?

Not finalised yet but the Telkom All networks mobile data offer looks good. So far.

Other options for 2 or 2.5GB of mobile data per month?
Same for me, also considering my options...