Afrihost Fibre Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azteca

Afrigenie. If I change my router will anything need to be done on your side? I know Vox locks the MAC address of your router and wanted to find out if Afrihost did the same?

I do plan on changing mines next month.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Afrigenie. If I change my router will anything need to be done on your side? I know Vox locks the MAC address of your router and wanted to find out if Afrihost did the same?

I do plan on changing mines next month.

If you change the router we'll probably need to reset the MAC address as well. Just let one of us know here and we'll get it reset for you. :)

Azteca

Thanks AfriGenie. I will get in touch with you when I am ready to swap.

Please check your PM's, I am having an issue with Afrihostplus+ benefits not working and your support guys are not helping.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Thanks AfriGenie. I will get in touch with you when I am ready to swap.

Please check your PM's, I am having an issue with Afrihostplus+ benefits not working and your support guys are not helping.

AfriGenie should be in a bit later, but will follow up with him :)

Igor III

Yay!!! ... finally OpenServe finished installing their fibre lines in our area and Afrihost is now also offering capped fibre packages, but it seems I missed the boat as AH's R4K offer expired last month :(

The ~R3K installation cost for an existing ADSL client is kinda making the competitors offers more attractive.

Just for the record, if I sign up for an AH capped fibre package, do I lose my available data currently on my ADSL account, or would it be possible to migrate the roll over to the fibre package (seeing that I will be using OpenServe)?

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Yay!!! ... finally OpenServe finished installing their fibre lines in our area and Afrihost is now also offering capped fibre packages, but it seems I missed the boat as AH's R4K offer expired last month :(

The ~R3K installation cost for an existing ADSL client is kinda making the competitors offers more attractive.

Just for the record, if I sign up for an AH capped fibre package, do I lose my available data currently on my ADSL account, or would it be possible to migrate the roll over to the fibre package (seeing that I will be using OpenServe)?

Your Capped DSL account will remain separate to your Capped Fibre account. If you do opt for Capped Fibre I can't see any reason why we can't roll-over your Capped DSL data over. ;)

Igor III

A few questions regarding Openserve fibre and Afrihost :)

I understand that the beauty of the Openserve fiber system is that one can use DSL data on it. Having said this, it kinda makes financial sense to order my fiber from a different supplier and use my Afrihost capped data on it. Not only will I save on the installation costs applicable to Openserve fiber from AH, but one also will have a substantial saving on the price of the data.

The question I do have is this: (apologies for my ignorance), On the Openserve fiber system, do one set up your data provider similar to what one would do with a DSL network?

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
A few questions regarding Openserve fibre and Afrihost :)

I understand that the beauty of the Openserve fiber system is that one can use DSL data on it. Having said this, it kinda makes financial sense to order my fiber from a different supplier and use my Afrihost capped data on it. Not only will I save on the installation costs applicable to Openserve fiber from AH, but one also will have a substantial saving on the price of the data.

The question I do have is this: (apologies for my ignorance), On the Openserve fiber system, do one set up your data provider similar to what one would do with a DSL network?

If I understand your question correctly, Openserve is the only provider that connects using a PPPoE protocol to connect to fibre. This means that the setup of your router is pretty much the same as DSL.

Igor III

If I understand your question correctly, Openserve is the only provider that connects using a PPPoE protocol to connect to fibre. This means that the setup of your router is pretty much the same as DSL.

Thanks AF, that makes some sense :)

MongooseMan

Expert Member
Hi AfriFella

I have a question regarding switching to Fibre:
My current situation is that I have a capped 10Mb Afrihost managed ADSL line, and would like to switch to 40Mb Capped Fibre (my area is supplied by OpenServe.)

I assume I need to:
- Cancel my current Afrihost plan
- Cancel my Telkom line

What is the best time of the month to do this so that I get
a) A fast turn around
b) The lowest period of "double pay" (for both the ADSL portion, and the Telkom line)

Also, I assume that if I do it in the next month I will also get the free Fibre modem and wifi router?

Ares1000101

I would like to know the exact thing as above, except my telephone line is managed through telkom.

Igor III

Not sure if this will be of some help ............

Openserve recently rolled out FTTH in my area. My ADSL Data is with AH and my DSL line rental is with Telkom. After shopping around, I opted for the following, based on my current needs:

FTTH line was ordered from ISP Afrika (installation was completed within three working days) - I opted for this, as the overall costs was much cheaper and included free installation.
Because the fiber line is Openserve, I intend using my existing AH DSL data on my fiber line.

Telkom has a "special" process for cancellation of DSL lines. If your line is directly from Telkom, complete the cancellation form and submit it to Telkom (my understanding is that this is a long process, as you are at the mercy of Telkom's efficient staff to process your request). From some of the threads on this forum, it appears that if your line is supplied via a third party, the cancellation process can even take longer.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Hi AfriFella

I have a question regarding switching to Fibre:
My current situation is that I have a capped 10Mb Afrihost managed ADSL line, and would like to switch to 40Mb Capped Fibre (my area is supplied by OpenServe.)

I assume I need to:
- Cancel my current Afrihost plan
- Cancel my Telkom line

What is the best time of the month to do this so that I get
a) A fast turn around
b) The lowest period of "double pay" (for both the ADSL portion, and the Telkom line)

Also, I assume that if I do it in the next month I will also get the free Fibre modem and wifi router?

I would recomend first signing-up for the Fibre product, then only once the installation is complete cancelling your DSL Line. The installation timeframes vary quite a from area to area.

We will not bill you for the Fibre until it is up and running. If you then request the cancellation of your DSL account and your DSL line before the 23rd of the current month, the cancellation will be effective from the end of the current month.

The current promotional information for each provider is available during the sign-up process. :)

MongooseMan

Expert Member
I would recomend first signing-up for the Fibre product, then only once the installation is complete cancelling your DSL Line. The installation timeframes vary quite a from area to area.

We will not bill you for the Fibre until it is up and running. If you then request the cancellation of your DSL account and your DSL line before the 23rd of the current month, the cancellation will be effective from the end of the current month.

The current promotional information for each provider is available during the sign-up process. :)
Thanks, signed up last night.

Just a few comments:

I had to enter my address 3 times, once for availability check, once for installation, and again for modem delivery. Your sign up process really should make that less onerous.

Despite the sign up process telling me the R647 modem was free, I received an invoice via email for it. I assume that that is a mistake, but if I get charged I'm going to be rather unhappy.

Lastly, when on your fibre landing page, you speak about Openserve, but during the sign up process you stop doing that and speak only about Telkom. Now, I know that they're essentially the same, but most people wouldn't, and that would confuse, and concern them.

Aside from that, looking forward to a much faster and more reliable Internet experience, hopefully my ADSL and telephone line cancellation also goes smoothly.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Thanks, signed up last night.

Just a few comments:

I had to enter my address 3 times, once for availability check, once for installation, and again for modem delivery. Your sign up process really should make that less onerous.

Despite the sign up process telling me the R647 modem was free, I received an invoice via email for it. I assume that that is a mistake, but if I get charged I'm going to be rather unhappy.

Lastly, when on your fibre landing page, you speak about Openserve, but during the sign up process you stop doing that and speak only about Telkom. Now, I know that they're essentially the same, but most people wouldn't, and that would confuse, and concern them.

Aside from that, looking forward to a much faster and more reliable Internet experience, hopefully my ADSL and telephone line cancellation also goes smoothly.

You will have received an invoice to for the modem as a matter of procedure. :) All of our products and services are invoiced.

Thanks for the feedback!

Igor III

Not sure if this will be of some help ............

Openserve recently rolled out FTTH in my area. My ADSL Data is with AH and my DSL line rental is with Telkom. After shopping around, I opted for the following, based on my current needs:

FTTH line was ordered from ISP Afrika (installation was completed within three working days) - I opted for this, as the overall costs was much cheaper and included free installation.
Because the fiber line is Openserve, I intend using my existing AH DSL data on my fiber line.

Telkom has a "special" process for cancellation of DSL lines. If your line is directly from Telkom, complete the cancellation form and submit it to Telkom (my understanding is that this is a long process, as you are at the mercy of Telkom's efficient staff to process your request). From some of the threads on this forum, it appears that if your line is supplied via a third party, the cancellation process can even take longer.

Update on Telkom line cancellation - apart from receiving a notification from Telkom that they received my cancellation application, I have not received any further contact.

Decided to hand deliver my cancellation notice to the local Telkom outlet/shop ......... cancellation of my DSL line was finalised with immediate effect (I would recommend this option for those that have their AH fiber connection up and running).

Azteca

Hi AfriGenie.

Please check your PM. Really getting frustrated in dealing with your support guys.

MongooseMan

Expert Member
Signed up last week.
Fibre provider is Openserve.

1. How long until they make first contact, because I've heard nothing from them so far?
2. Is there any way to monitor the progress, because it essentially seems like "sign up and wait for a call that may never come" at this stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.