Afrihost - no dealing with Telkom they say

netsurferj

Hi

I am in need of an ISP that 1. knows what they are doing 2. provides you with service they claim to.

Far too often have I found bad ISP service in South Africa and Afrihost rates next to Telkom/MWEB in my books. It is true that they respond next to instantly to any messages sent their way, but the quality of the responses explain why they are able to do this.
I am registered on a pricey 10Mbps setup with them, but am getting a 1Mbps download speed (as per speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3743424389)) and they cannot seem to solve it.

After posting to a Facebook page, I found that "bitco" might be an option but I've been the wireless route (iBurst, Afrihost (mtn), telkom mobile, vodacom, virgin mobile) but these have not proved to be reliable solutions (especially when gaming is involved).

Is there perhaps a solution of a proper ISP (bitco included) out there that can solve this horrid network we, as South Africans, are forced to put up with? (a solution other than immigration, as this seems less of a hassle than dealing with any ISPs I have dealt with up to this point)

Thx

HDS

Expert Member
...did you up your line to 10mbps? What was your line speed before you signed up for that package?

stricken

Expert Member
are you sure your wifi router is not the bottleneck? try the speedtest with a LAN cable into your DSL router.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
If you run the "Fix my Line" tool in Clientzone, it can sometimes sync it to 1Mbps. While their support leaves a lot to be desired, they are second to none in this department. Lack of quality support is a South African problem, unfortunately, and not just limited to Afrihost.

S1ght

Expert Member
I reckon try get a test account from the different ISPs (if they offer) and just test with that to see if it's actually the ISP or if it's Telkom. In all fairness if it is a problem on Telkom's side then there's very little Afrihost can do other than log a fault. You'd be better off sending a PM to TelkomZA.

envo

Expert Member
If you tie your ADSL line up to the ISP, it becomes a blame game. "It's Telkom" and Telkom goes "It's your ISP"

Unbundle your ADSL line and just get a normal account. If you have an issue, use another ISP. Many offer free 1GB accounts you can use to see if your speed increases or your problems disappear.

Also keep in mind your line attenuation and noise on the line (you haven't posted those, but I assume they were perfect before)

Click the link in my signature to sign up for a free account from Web Africa and try them out and see if the speed increases. Afrihost's ridiculous shaping made me almost get a stroke, especially dealing with their support (and anyone saying their support is far superior than any other ISP's need to go back to 2005 when that might have been true at the time)

netsurferj

This.
Try them.
You might just be pleasantly surprised.
You won't be fed company lines, but the honest truth with 100% commitment to resolve your issue.

Unfortunately their website was off each time I tried looking today.

netsurferj

If you tie your ADSL line up to the ISP, it becomes a blame game. "It's Telkom" and Telkom goes "It's your ISP"

Unbundle your ADSL line and just get a normal account. If you have an issue, use another ISP. Many offer free 1GB accounts you can use to see if your speed increases or your problems disappear.

Also keep in mind your line attenuation and noise on the line (you haven't posted those, but I assume they were perfect before)

Click the link in my signature to sign up for a free account from Web Africa and try them out and see if the speed increases. Afrihost's ridiculous shaping made me almost get a stroke, especially dealing with their support (and anyone saying their support is far superior than any other ISP's need to go back to 2005 when that might have been true at the time)

Hi

Thanx, someone at work suggested I join Web Africa and I did earlier today with a whopping instant result of 8.5Mbps without any hassles: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3745076903 (same line etc.)

Clearly more of an ISP issue than the line, but luckily I convinced Afrihost (via multiple emails, facebook messages and live chat) to let go of my line with immediate effect rather than waiting until the end of the month & honour their "double your money back refund" which they were reluctant to give me.