Afrihost Pure DSL

BlackStatic

What's really strange is that when the ADSL went dead, I logged into my Mikrotik router and noticed that my WAN connection (the PPPOE connection) was being flooded by ICMP pings from a Telkom IP address. Traffic was trying to go out via the WAN but no incoming packets were coming back EXCEPT for these ICMP packets from that Telkom IP address. So the PPPOE connection was still up at the time of the outage. Very strange. Also strange that it happened at exactly 12am.
That's the same time my connection died today too...

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Terrible day, since 12 our ADSL has been dead.

Line is up and running, but PPPOE is utterly dead. The helpdesk said there's an "area" issue, but wouldn't that be a line issue? Our line itself is fine.

Just a question, we have a billing dispute (about 8 months of double billing) with Telkom prior to moving to Afrihost entirely, could this be Telkom shutting off the connection post migration to Afrihost?

Hi,

This is unlikely. Did we manage to log a fault for you? If not you get send me a pm with your clientzone email so I can have a look and log a fault for you if required.

All4one

Let me dive in since its the best option on my plate. No fibre here, I don't even see the cars or workers digging up trenches:cautious:. Will let you folks know how fast they respond and deliver as well as the actual speed performance.

LabAnimal

Expert Member
Terrible day, since 12 our ADSL has been dead.

Line is up and running, but PPPOE is utterly dead. The helpdesk said there's an "area" issue, but wouldn't that be a line issue? Our line itself is fine.

Just a question, we have a billing dispute (about 8 months of double billing) with Telkom prior to moving to Afrihost entirely, could this be Telkom shutting off the connection post migration to Afrihost?
This is exactly what happened the other night, but came right after a few hours being down.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
This is exactly what happened the other night, but came right after a few hours being down.

If the dslam/isam loses backhaul then that is usually the first symptom. The line will sync fine however pppoe will fail because it can reach a radius server past the dsl/isam/exchange

If the exchange is down then you will likely lose sync.

RVR

Expert Member
Hi guys, anyone still recommends this product and is openserve doing good on their installations?

Can't afford to wait to long to get them to come and do any installation

mathebus

Hi guys, anyone still recommends this product and is openserve doing good on their installations?

Can't afford to wait to long to get them to come and do any installation
I've been with PureDSL since they launched. Openserve took quite long to come and install, but once done was quite worth it. Remembering that it's still a DSL product, the speeds are good, there's rarely if ever an outage, and if there is it's my area due to Openserve. P2P is good, Netflix is extremely good. Basically it's bang4buck if you don't have Fibre, and you can just forget about an Telkom number + ADSL line rental fee. 11/10 recommend

Grouter

Expert Member
I've been with PureDSL since they launched. Openserve took quite long to come and install, but once done was quite worth it. Remembering that it's still a DSL product, the speeds are good, there's rarely if ever an outage, and if there is it's my area due to Openserve. P2P is good, Netflix is extremely good. Basically it's bang4buck if you don't have Fibre, and you can just forget about an Telkom number + ADSL line rental fee. 11/10 recommend
I will second ALL of this.
But I'm with Vox - 20 Mbit VDSL @ R675 pm. Excellent product, and agreed: Best bang for buck if fibre isn't available.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Pure DSL is a great option if Fibre is not available and you are relatively close to the exchange. It offers uncapped, Unshaped and unthrottled data but it's still the old copper lines that where there before so Pure DSL is not a different network. IF you had DSL before and it was really bad then getting pure DSL might not be a better option as you will still experience the same issue.

RVR

Expert Member
Pure DSL is a great option if Fibre is not available and you are relatively close to the exchange. It offers uncapped, Unshaped and unthrottled data but it's still the old copper lines that where there before so Pure DSL is not a different network. IF you had DSL before and it was really bad then getting pure DSL might not be a better option as you will still experience the same issue.
My line takes 20mbps. Wouldn't mind that. Although im concerned with openserve taking their time considering I have an ongoing contract and can't afford to pay two bills.

Grouter

Expert Member
In this part of the world (Garden Route) openserve use contractors. They came to install a PureDSL line for me within 48 hours of placing my order online.
So it can happen quickly, just depends on your local openserve techs and how jacked up they are.

RVR

Expert Member
In this part of the world (Garden Route) openserve use contractors. They came to install a PureDSL line for me within 48 hours of placing my order online.
So it can happen quickly, just depends on your local openserve techs and how jacked up they are.
I remember for adsl it took really long but that time I had no ongoing contract so wasn't too concerned.. But it's different now unfortunately.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Installation really depends on the area and the availability of technicians to do the installations. In most cases it's Openserve technicians that does the installations for ADSL/VDSL.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Installation really depends on the area and the availability of technicians to do the installations. In most cases it's Openserve technicians that does the installations for ADSL/VDSL.

then why is there such a HIGH installation fee coupled to pure|naked ADSL ?

yea, yea I know its free via Afrihost ... but R1000-R2000 that some charge makes ZERO sense :X3:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
then why is there such a HIGH installation fee coupled to pure|naked ADSL ?

yea, yea I know its free via Afrihost ... but R1000-R2000 that some charge makes ZERO sense :X3:

It's a fee that Openserve charges. It would cover the installation if you need a new line install.

Grouter

Expert Member
I ordered puredsl from Vox.
Openserve contractors came within 48 hours, ran a new dropwire from the pole, new line though the roof, through the ceiling, new wire to the wall socket. Connected me up at the exchange, changed modulation to VDSL, stayed to ensure I was up, syncing and had internet, then left.
Cost: R0.00.
Not sure who paid for all that, but it weren't me. I just get billed by Vox R675 pm.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Openserve contractors came within 48 hours, ran a new dropwire from the pole, new line though the roof, through the ceiling, new wire to the wall socket. Connected me up at the exchange, changed modulation to VDSL, stayed to ensure I was up, syncing and had internet, then left.
Not sure who paid for all that, but it weren't me. I just get billed by Vox R675 pm.
I think the deposit just figuratively changes hands so the installation pays for itself. I noticed this when telkom "refunded" me my deposit but I never received anything.

RVR

Expert Member
What exactly do they install? I had a phone line before. I still got the part where the phone plugs into just no phone or active voice line. What else would they need to do to connect me to Pure dsl.

I admit, its a small area to work in, our couches are actually hard to move

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
What exactly do they install? I had a phone line before. I still got the part where the phone plugs into just no phone or active voice line. What else would they need to do to connect me to Pure dsl.

I admit, its a small area to work in, our couches are actually hard to move

If that is the case they will just link you up with the exchange. In some cases people are covered for DSL but the line is damaged or they need a new line installed in which case Openserve will physically install a new cable for them.