Afrihost Pure DSL

ph0nix

I would STRONGLY recommend that Afrihost make it VERY clear to users of their ClientZone mobile app that PureDSL will require a "port" of an existing ADSL line to Afrihost.

I have been an Afrihost customer for more than 10 years now. First on ADSL, and then switching to FTTH when it became available in my area. Recently I have taken over my mom's Telkom account as she has now retired, and we all know that parents and technology just don't mix. I also cancelled the over-priced ADSL service she was subscribed to with the intention of moving it to my existing Afrihost account. The existing service terminated yesterday (2020-11-30), and I used the ClientZone mobile app to sign up for a new ADSL service with Afrihost.

I provided the details of the ADSL line and location, and selected the package needed, and specifically selected the option indicating that the line was an existing Telkom/OpenServe line. In the ClientZone app the new product was shown as "Pending" and the username and password was provided for the ADSL service. This morning I followed up with Afrihost support as the order was still showing as "Pending". When I asked for an ETA the support rep informed me that it would be between 7 - 14 days, but still did not clarify that the delay might be because of the "port" that needs to happen.

I accept that it is my responsibility to read, understand and accept the terms and conditions of a service before placing/subscribing to said service. However the "process" is only made clear if you come through the "front door" so to speak, i.e. sign-up from the Afrihost website.

I have subsequently requested that the order be cancelled with Afrihost, which they are now unable to do because they are in a "billing cycle". This now leaves me up the proverbial creek, as Afrihost has already requested Telkom/OpenServe that the line be "locked", meaning that I am unable to use the line with any other ADSL provider offering just simple ADSL connectivity.

None of the support (or accounts) staff at any point in time bothered to clearly articulate the process, which is very disappointing. Only after I spoke to a support person from an alternative ADSL service provider did they explain the process to me, which Afrihost confirmed when I contacted their support again.

This whole experience has just been tedious, and I am afraid that after 10 years with Afrihost, our relationship will be coming to an end. (Hopefully the annoying "Gian" spam will end too).

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I would STRONGLY recommend that Afrihost make it VERY clear to users of their ClientZone mobile app that PureDSL will require a "port" of an existing ADSL line to Afrihost.

I have been an Afrihost customer for more than 10 years now. First on ADSL, and then switching to FTTH when it became available in my area. Recently I have taken over my mom's Telkom account as she has now retired, and we all know that parents and technology just don't mix. I also cancelled the over-priced ADSL service she was subscribed to with the intention of moving it to my existing Afrihost account. The existing service terminated yesterday (2020-11-30), and I used the ClientZone mobile app to sign up for a new ADSL service with Afrihost.

I provided the details of the ADSL line and location, and selected the package needed, and specifically selected the option indicating that the line was an existing Telkom/OpenServe line. In the ClientZone app the new product was shown as "Pending" and the username and password was provided for the ADSL service. This morning I followed up with Afrihost support as the order was still showing as "Pending". When I asked for an ETA the support rep informed me that it would be between 7 - 14 days, but still did not clarify that the delay might be because of the "port" that needs to happen.

I accept that it is my responsibility to read, understand and accept the terms and conditions of a service before placing/subscribing to said service. However the "process" is only made clear if you come through the "front door" so to speak, i.e. sign-up from the Afrihost website.

I have subsequently requested that the order be cancelled with Afrihost, which they are now unable to do because they are in a "billing cycle". This now leaves me up the proverbial creek, as Afrihost has already requested Telkom/OpenServe that the line be "locked", meaning that I am unable to use the line with any other ADSL provider offering just simple ADSL connectivity.

None of the support (or accounts) staff at any point in time bothered to clearly articulate the process, which is very disappointing. Only after I spoke to a support person from an alternative ADSL service provider did they explain the process to me, which Afrihost confirmed when I contacted their support again.

This whole experience has just been tedious, and I am afraid that after 10 years with Afrihost, our relationship will be coming to an end. (Hopefully the annoying "Gian" spam will end too).

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. The old ADSL service which is called Copper Connect we no longer offer. We are therefore not able to migrate an existing ADSL line to a Pure DSL offering.

The Pure DSL service only comes with a new install. If this is still pending you can cancel the order no matter what time of the month it is. Since we would have placed a new order for a Pure DSL line we would have no control over your old ADSL line that you wanted to migrate to Afrihost and we will not be be able to lock the line. I'm not sure who exactly told you that but that is totally wrong.

If you are still unsure or if something went wrong please send me a private message with your clientzone email address so I can have a look at what transpired and advise accordingly.

ph0nix

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. The old ADSL service which is called Copper Connect we no longer offer. We are therefore not able to migrate an existing ADSL line to a Pure DSL offering.

The Pure DSL service only comes with a new install. If this is still pending you can cancel the order no matter what time of the month it is. Since we would have placed a new order for a Pure DSL line we would have no control over your old ADSL line that you wanted to migrate to Afrihost and we will not be be able to lock the line. I'm not sure who exactly told you that but that is totally wrong.

If you are still unsure or if something went wrong please send me a private message with your clientzone email address so I can have a look at what transpired and advise accordingly.
Hi all,

Let me just give credit, where credit is due. When we are frustrated we sometimes forget to thank the people that make an effort to help us.

@AfriNatic was onto my issue very quickly, has clarified the situation for me, and has provided me with a starting point to get my issue resolved. Thank you very much for that!

src926

Hi. Are PureDSL accounts locked to the line? I was told it would work on another line (not concurrently), but I haven't been successful.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi. Are PureDSL accounts locked to the line? I was told it would work on another line (not concurrently), but I haven't been successful.

Hi,

Our Pure DSL accounts gets locked to the DSL line. Once you connect to the account from the DSL after an hour or so that number gets added to the radius lock and other lines will not authenticate even if you disconnect the ADSL line.

Totempole

Expert Member
Hi,

Our Pure DSL accounts gets locked to the DSL line. Once you connect to the account from the DSL after an hour or so that number gets added to the radius lock and other lines will not authenticate even if you disconnect the ADSL line.

Oof. This seems like somewhat of an unnecessary restriction.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Oof. This seems like somewhat of an unnecessary restriction.

It's a restriction to prevent people from sharing accounts. These accounts are uncapped unshaped and unthrottled. It would be easy for clients to share this account with friends and family that needs to do large downloads that are on capped DSL or Fibre.

rambo919

Honorary Master
It's a restriction to prevent people from sharing accounts. These accounts are uncapped unshaped and unthrottled. It would be easy for clients to share this account with friends and family that needs to do large downloads that are on capped DSL or Fibre.
So basically it encourages external HDD sharing :ROFL:

rambo919

Honorary Master
BTW I am syncing on 12MB and downloading at that speed on a 4MB puredsl account.... did telkom extend their trial?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Openserve have made some changes to the 4Mbps Pure Connect offering.

The speed has been bumped to 5Mbps now. This means a sync rate of 6400Kbps to get a throughput speed of just over 5Mbps.

We are waiting for the official confirmation from Openserve to make the relevant changes on the website. Current 4Mbps Pure DSL clients should see the increased speed already.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Just after load shedding?
Not exactly after loadshedding, but around about that time.

Edit: Confirmed its not an issue from Afrihost, all good that side. Seems there is some area issue with Openserve, hoping to get it resolved soon.

Last edited:

MavChat

Expert Member
Not exactly after loadshedding, but around about that time.

Edit: Confirmed its not an issue from Afrihost, all good that side. Seems there is some area issue with Openserve, hoping to get it resolved soon.
My line would not sync after Loadshedding until a port reset was done on the Openserve side. It is a line that was installed today so I hope it is not going to be a continuous issue.

Will see tomorrow as we have Loadshedding at midnight again.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu