Afrihost Pure DSL

ghostbunny

Line is not even syncing unfortunately so it's a cable break unfortunately and a port reset won't do anything.
My line would not sync after Loadshedding until a port reset was done on the Openserve side. It is a line that was installed today so I hope it is not going to be a continuous issue.

Will see tomorrow as we have Loadshedding at midnight again.

This is the only reason I thought it would be worth a try.

MavChat

Expert Member
Hopefully I don't lose my tongue.
I tasted my line before installation... It was live... Haha.

I ended up logging a fault with Openserve. They came this afternoon and told me that it's an exchange issue and will log it.

It went off once more after that and has been stable since.

Reactions: Yuu

ghostbunny

I tasted my line before installation... It was live... Haha.

I ended up logging a fault with Openserve. They came this afternoon and told me that it's an exchange issue and will log it.

It went off once more after that and has been stable since.
haven't heard back about anything, still down.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Finally got my mums DSL installed on KZN South Coast. Seems like Openserve does not want to install new DSL connections in certain areas even if the cables are there. They had cancelled the order 2 times and confirmed no DSL supported but lucky for her I work for the ISP so managed to get the order approved and it was installed today.

1.png

Screenshot_2021-02-14 Openserve.png

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Finally got my mums DSL installed on KZN South Coast. Seems like Openserve does not want to install new DSL connections in certain areas even if the cables are there. They had cancelled the order 2 times and confirmed no DSL supported but lucky for her I work for the ISP so managed to get the order approved and it was installed today.

View attachment 1020392

View attachment 1020394

Congrats! That is the one extra bonus when you work for an ISP, also its kinda shocking how Openserve is just abandoning most of their copper infrastructure and copper users.

wingnut771

Honorary Master

View attachment 1020392

View attachment 1020394
What speeds are available?

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Up to 10Mbps due to distance. So I got her the 5Mbps and that will be upgraded to 10Mbps next month on a line level.
TIL there is a 5mbps package.

That being said, I would love for Openserve to put out something like a 10/3-5mbps package. Given that a lot of stats are good, but too poor for VDSL high download speeds, when the biggest impact I have noticed on performance has been the amazing 0.75mbps upload... Heck, I would kill for a 5/5 Mbps ADSL.

cavedog

Honorary Master
TIL there is a 5mbps package.

That being said, I would love for Openserve to put out something like a 10/3-5mbps package. Given that a lot of stats are good, but too poor for VDSL high download speeds, when the biggest impact I have noticed on performance has been the amazing 0.75mbps upload... Heck, I would kill for a 5/5 Mbps ADSL.

There is no more 4Mbps ADSL in SA from Openserve.

Pure Connect is:
ADSL 5/1
ADSL 10/1
ADSL 20/1
VDSL 20/5
VDSL 40/10

Copper Connect is:
ADSL 1/1
ADSL 2/1
ADSL 5/1
ADSL 8/1
ADSL 10/1
ADSL 20/1
VDSL 20/5
VDSL 40/10

ghostRgg

Expert Member
There is no more 4Mbps ADSL in SA from Openserve.

Pure Connect is:
ADSL 5/1
ADSL 10/1
ADSL 20/1
VDSL 20/5
VDSL 40/10

Copper Connect is:
ADSL 1/1
ADSL 2/1
ADSL 5/1
ADSL 8/1
ADSL 10/1
ADSL 20/1
VDSL 20/5
VDSL 40/10
I swear. Give me that 20/5 but make it a 10/5 if it all syncs and has good stats and signal. Actually, curious to know if I can push VDSL, but given that we are on the oldest but largest exchange in KZN, I doubt it. Along with it being like 9km away.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I swear. Give me that 20/5 but make it a 10/5 if it all syncs and has good stats and signal. Actually, curious to know if I can push VDSL, but given that we are on the oldest but largest exchange in KZN, I doubt it. Along with it being like 9km away.

You need to be close to the ISAM for those upload speeds.

I saw someone on the South coast in Shelly Beach with the ISAM on their lawn like they can touch it when they open their gate. In cases like that yeah very good line conditions :laugh:

Last edited:

Grouter

Expert Member
You need to be close to the ISAM for those upload speeds.

I saw someone on the South coast in Shelly Beach with the ISAM on their lawn like they can touch it when they open their gate. In cases like that yeah very good line conditions :laugh:
I want an ISAM at my front door... :p

ghostRgg

Expert Member
I want an ISAM at my front door... :p
Why settle for an ISAM when you can move into the basement of the datacentre.

I remember a few years back, I randomly emailed Vanilla in CPT asking if I can move into the datacentre (to live) as a joke. I was surprised when they genuinely took it as serious and were asking all sorts of questions, but the real question is.

Can one sleep in 2x 48U rack?

Grouter

Expert Member
Why settle for an ISAM when you can move into the basement of the datacentre.

I remember a few years back, I randomly emailed Vanilla in CPT asking if I can move into the datacentre (to live) as a joke. I was surprised when they genuinely took it as serious and were asking all sorts of questions, but the real question is.

Can one sleep in 2x 48U rack?
Well, the aircon would be nice at this time of year...