Afrihost Pure DSL

ghostbunny

Why settle for an ISAM when you can move into the basement of the datacentre.

I remember a few years back, I randomly emailed Vanilla in CPT asking if I can move into the datacentre (to live) as a joke. I was surprised when they genuinely took it as serious and were asking all sorts of questions, but the real question is.

Can one sleep in 2x 48U rack?
Both of us wouldn't be very comfy

ronald911

Expert Member
Finally got my mums DSL installed on KZN South Coast. Seems like Openserve does not want to install new DSL connections in certain areas even if the cables are there. They had cancelled the order 2 times and confirmed no DSL supported but lucky for her I work for the ISP so managed to get the order approved and it was installed today.

View attachment 1020392

View attachment 1020394
How far south?

Totempole

Expert Member
There is no more 4Mbps ADSL in SA from Openserve.

Pure Connect is:
ADSL 5/1
ADSL 10/1
ADSL 20/1
VDSL 20/5
VDSL 40/10

Copper Connect is:
ADSL 1/1
ADSL 2/1
ADSL 5/1
ADSL 8/1
ADSL 10/1
ADSL 20/1
VDSL 20/5
VDSL 40/10

What's the difference between Copper Connect and Pure Connect?

Totempole

Expert Member
Copper Connect requires a voice service with Telkom. Pure Connect does not require any voice service and is DSL only.
I see.

So would my Telkom Voice line with a DSL service managed by Afrihost be classified as Copper Connect?

Zeus07

It's hard to get PureDSL when Openserve/Telkom's coverage map is so F***ED that no service provider believes that there is ADSL in my area.
I've been using ADSL over here for the last 10 years....

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
It's hard to get PureDSL when Openserve/Telkom's coverage map is so F***ED that no service provider believes that there is ADSL in my area.
I've been using ADSL over here for the last 10 years....

Can you confirm your address with me in a private message let me have a look for you?

ghostbunny

Tech guy came today to resolve the cable issue. Connected, but defaulted back to being interleaved instead of on fastpath.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
@AfriNatic

Hi, I was wondering if you could give some insight, I have a friend who just bought a new (demo) PC, he asked me to set it up with some programs via teamviewer. I noticed that the internet was slow and choppy, upon investigation I saw that his Edge was displaying results in Polish, I googled his external IP and saw it was some range pointing to Czech.

I asked him to do google his IP on another machine on the same network and it was normal AH range. I cleared the DNS cache, checked for VPN software, viruses and there were no issues. I changed his DNS, asked him to turn router off for 15 min and try again, checked for proxies. Nothing.

The PC was reset in windows so im thinking should I format it to make sure its not some dodgy file or have you any idea of this?

Thanks.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
@AfriNatic

Hi, I was wondering if you could give some insight, I have a friend who just bought a new (demo) PC, he asked me to set it up with some programs via teamviewer. I noticed that the internet was slow and choppy, upon investigation I saw that his Edge was displaying results in Polish, I googled his external IP and saw it was some range pointing to Czech.

I asked him to do google his IP on another machine on the same network and it was normal AH range. I cleared the DNS cache, checked for VPN software, viruses and there were no issues. I changed his DNS, asked him to turn router off for 15 min and try again, checked for proxies. Nothing.

The PC was reset in windows so im thinking should I format it to make sure its not some dodgy file or have you any idea of this?

Thanks.

Good morning,

That is odd. I assume it's on our ADSL service right? The Openserve IP range has not changed in quite a while so if the issue started happening recently it's related to something else/ Perhaps a language setting on the computer itself.

If you can pm me the IP address or the account details I can just have a look and make sure everything is running as it should.

ADSL doesn't have that great upload speed and that might be why it is feeling sluggish when you remote into his computer.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Good morning,

That is odd. I assume it's on our ADSL service right? The Openserve IP range has not changed in quite a while so if the issue started happening recently it's related to something else/ Perhaps a language setting on the computer itself.

If you can pm me the IP address or the account details I can just have a look and make sure everything is running as it should.

ADSL doesn't have that great upload speed and that might be why it is feeling sluggish when you remote into his computer.
Thanks, do you want his real IP or the Czech one?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks, do you want his real IP or the Czech one?
If he is getting an IP other than an Afrihost IP that would mean he has some sort of malware of VPN that is doing that. We will not allocate them a Czech IP.

ryudswift

Hi I've bought pure dsl last year because rain latency was just atrocious in my area.
My line speed I bought is 10/1. I know it operates at 8/1 i think but to be completely honest, my download speeds have not yet gone over 700kB/s (actual). Basically that would mean I have a 6/1. Upon checking under my router settings it shows

Upstream Speed362 kbps
Downstream Speed6399 kbps

My question is: Do I downgrade the line so I can pay less for actual use or change ISP's once again.

I've been waiting for Fibre since last year June to be setup in my area, since the timeline for most ISP shows 2-3 months, it 7months and no word, no info on when it will actually be up and running.
So I'm stuck with a dsl that cannot keep it up long enough and LTE that is way worse. Other option is buy starlink in the mean-time and wait till it's fully functional.

If there is anyway afrihost could assist with the, please do, i'm all ears (eyes).

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Hi I've bought pure dsl last year because rain latency was just atrocious in my area.
My line speed I bought is 10/1. I know it operates at 8/1 i think but to be completely honest, my download speeds have not yet gone over 700kB/s (actual). Basically that would mean I have a 6/1. Upon checking under my router settings it shows

Upstream Speed362 kbps
Downstream Speed6399 kbps

My question is: Do I downgrade the line so I can pay less for actual use or change ISP's once again.

I've been waiting for Fibre since last year June to be setup in my area, since the timeline for most ISP shows 2-3 months, it 7months and no word, no info on when it will actually be up and running.
So I'm stuck with a dsl that cannot keep it up long enough and LTE that is way worse. Other option is buy starlink in the mean-time and wait till it's fully functional.

If there is anyway afrihost could assist with the, please do, i'm all ears (eyes).
I would downgrade to 5mb as that's all your line can handle.

ryudswift

I fully understand but telling me that the line can handle 8/1 and im getting much less, i might aswell change to 4/1 or something and get the full strength from that.

ryudswift

Afrihost themselves. I must have it on a ticket somewhere or an email. Also the contractor that installed the line said the same thing.

But hey, I'll have to go look for the proof before anything would be done about it.

The problem isnt just that. I do test regularly with speedtest .net and googles speed test. I have yet to see that rev counter go over 5Mbps to be honest. It's a good day when it's around 3Mbps which is average half a day, the rest of the times it fluctuates from 1-5Mbps.