Afrihost Pure DSL

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Afrihost themselves. I must have it on a ticket somewhere or an email. Also the contractor that installed the line said the same thing.

But hey, I'll have to go look for the proof before anything would be done about it.

The problem isnt just that. I do test regularly with speedtest .net and googles speed test. I have yet to see that rev counter go over 5Mbps to be honest. It's a good day when it's around 3Mbps which is average half a day, the rest of the times it fluctuates from 1-5Mbps.
I think you have a dodgey line and you need to log a fault so that it starts syncing at 10mb.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi I've bought pure dsl last year because rain latency was just atrocious in my area.
My line speed I bought is 10/1. I know it operates at 8/1 i think but to be completely honest, my download speeds have not yet gone over 700kB/s (actual). Basically that would mean I have a 6/1. Upon checking under my router settings it shows

Upstream Speed362 kbps
Downstream Speed6399 kbps

My question is: Do I downgrade the line so I can pay less for actual use or change ISP's once again.

I've been waiting for Fibre since last year June to be setup in my area, since the timeline for most ISP shows 2-3 months, it 7months and no word, no info on when it will actually be up and running.
So I'm stuck with a dsl that cannot keep it up long enough and LTE that is way worse. Other option is buy starlink in the mean-time and wait till it's fully functional.

If there is anyway afrihost could assist with the, please do, i'm all ears (eyes).

Hi,

Sorry for the poor experiencing you have been having.

Can you send me a pm with your clientzone email address for me to have a look at the line.

Changing ISPs will unfortunately not resolve the speed issues if the line has a low sync rate. I want to have a look at the line sync rate and stats and possibly log a fault for you if the line stats are bad.

ryudswift

Thing is, it's easy to bounce to different ISP's. I was with afrihost from the beginning. Left Afrihost because of data issue to do with double data.

I was with Rain when it started but since I got issues with throttling and no joy with a fix, even after I build an antenna stand and setup my router with the Antenna, I was supposed to be getting 15Mbp but got around less than 100kBs daily for more than 3 months.

I was with webafrica too, their plan fell away so moved back to afrihost. I dont mind the ups and downs on the line but when I have to work online and cannot even login because of a low spike... it defeats the purpose. I usually buy gigs from my phone to when I need to work.

Hoping fibre would sort this out but that too is something that might not materialize within the next month. I'm still getting the 2-3month wait period response.

ryudswift

Hi,

Sorry for the poor experiencing you have been having.

Can you send me a pm with your clientzone email address for me to have a look at the line.

Changing ISPs will unfortunately not resolve the speed issues if the line has a low sync rate. I want to have a look at the line sync rate and stats and possibly log a fault for you if the line stats are bad.
its exactly this.

mikekaplan

Can someone please clear up something for me.
I live in Sedgefield where there is no fibre. Have recently replaced dstv with netflix but am using a lot of "data" - I'm on a wifi network from Cloud Connect but the connection is only 6mbps and is capped and throttled - going to a higher level 6mbps package gives me 7 day FUP of 70gb and a monthly one of 300gb - this will cost R799 p.m.
I want to switch to afrihost pure DSL. I caled them and they said I can get a 10mbps connection at R697p.m.
It's a newish house and there is no Telkom line. Afrihost say that Openserve will come and install an adsl line at no cost. Is this correct? Also need to buy an ADSL modem.
There is a connection point at the bottom of the garden bordering our neighbours..
Sorry for the long story but I'm confused.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I live in Sedgefield where there is no fibre. Have recently replaced dstv with netflix but am using a lot of "data" - I'm on a wifi network from Cloud Connect but the connection is only 6mbps and is capped and throttled - going to a higher level 6mbps package gives me 7 day FUP of 70gb and a monthly one of 300gb - this will cost R799 p.m.
I want to switch to afrihost pure DSL. I caled them and they said I can get a 10mbps connection at R697p.m.
It's a newish house and there is no Telkom line. Afrihost say that Openserve will come and install an adsl line at no cost. Is this correct? Also need to buy an ADSL modem.
There is a connection point at the bottom of the garden bordering our neighbours..
Rather save your money and get it through Axxess.
1616077603609.png

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Also try Axxess at R395 for a 10 Meg dsl line.. They are afrihost sister company and also quite good.. I'm. Waiting for my 5 meg to be installed at R295 pm.. But waiting for Openserve techs are taking their time

mikekaplan

Just found a Vox offer - 10mbps line @ R375 p.m. Can't find any info about who installs what line and whether it is free or not - any info o Opera Snapshot_2021-03-18_162405_shop.vox.co.za.png n this?

Grouter

Expert Member
Linteg Fibre are currently installing fibre in Island Village and Montage Village in Sedgefield.
They are also busy trenching for fibre conduits in much of the rest of Sedgefield.
Coming soon to a dorpie near you @mikekaplan - Fibre!

Last edited:

Grouter

Expert Member
Thanks @Grouter . Any idea of the time frame? - I'm on the island...
No, sorry. But they are busy - Island village are getting individual houses hooked up as we speak.

I also see on Sedgefield Locals Facebook Page that someone said Herotel (who are the umbrella group for your CloudConnect Wireless) are also trenching.
They have done Smutsville, Flamingo, Bleshoender, Swallow and many other streets. They have also water-drilled under the N2 already to hook up with the new Liquid Telecoms fibre backhaul link that was put in last year from PE * to George.
So, not sure when it's going live but.....it's imminent!

* Sorry: Gqeberha!

Grouter

Expert Member
As an aside, ADSL on the Island is pretty much limited to 4Mbps as a result of the distance from there to the Telkom Exchange in Duiwe Laan. It is what it is...
To get that 10 Mbps deal from Vox you quoted above you would need a top notch piece of copper between you and town. Not likely.

Pulserider

Afrihost when are you guys going to revise your pricing a bit on the ADSL to be inline with Axxess?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Afrihost when are you guys going to revise your pricing a bit on the ADSL to be inline with Axxess?

No word on that yet unfortunately.

We have given the free upgrades to existing clients if their lines supported the upgraded speeds.

Pulserider

No word on that yet unfortunately.

We have given the free upgrades to existing clients if their lines supported the upgraded speeds.
Hopefully soon! You guys where always the leaders by bringing out great value for money and then other had to follow. I mean the ADSL pricing is a great example where Afrihost is R300 more expensive than Axxess... which should be the other way around.