Afrihost Pure DSL

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I've just had the Openserve technician here, and everything is up and running with my Pure DSL product. Two tips:

1) Do not let the the Openserve technician leave until they change the profile of your connection from ADSL to VDSL. If you ordered a 20Mbps connection they will leave it on an ADSL profile by default unless you specifically ask them to change it to VDSL. Rather do that when the technician is here, because he just phones someone at Openserve and within 1 minute the router disconnects and reconnects with a VDSL profile.

2) You can use your ADSL PPPOE authentication details from Afrihost by just changing the password in your Afrihost Clientzone. You don't need to wait for Afrihost to do anything.

Reactions: Yuu

deweyzeph

Executive Member
BTW, did anyone else get offered a free ADSL router by the Openserve technician? I never ordered a router from Afrihost, and even if I had, I would assume it would be delivered by Afrihost themselves.

However when the Openserve technician arrived, he had a Telkom-branded D-Link ADSL router in a shrink-wrapped box, so never opened before. @cavedog, @AfriFella do you know why Openserve would be giving people free ADSL routers when they arrive to install the Pure Connect product? Is this normal? I declined the offer because I already have a much better ADSL router and the technician couldn't explain who would be paying for this router, or how it could be free. All he could tell me is that they are instructed to give it to new Pure Connect clients if they want it.

• Love

elriconess

BTW, did anyone else get offered a free ADSL router by the Openserve technician? I never ordered a router from Afrihost, and even if I had, I would assume it would be delivered by Afrihost themselves.

However when the Openserve technician arrived, he had a Telkom-branded D-Link ADSL router in a shrink-wrapped box, so never opened before. @cavedog, @AfriFella do you know why Openserve would be giving people free ADSL routers when they arrive to install the Pure Connect product? Is this normal? I declined the offer because I already have a much better ADSL router and the technician couldn't explain who would be paying for this router, or how it could be free. All he could tell me is that they are instructed to give it to new Pure Connect clients if they want it.
I think it's still Openserve's property in regards to the Pure Connect product, so when you leave Afrihost that you don't have to wait for the next ISP to give you a router.

nad_isa

took out pureadsl product on 11 june as well as a stopgap for fibre which is rolling out in my area.

at this rate they will trench, lay fibre, install and provision the fibre faster than setting up an adsl line of which the infrastructure is already available in my home (I'm on normal adsl currently).

waiting patiently....:cautious: maybe it will still happen in 2020

cavedog

Honorary Master

So Pure DSL or (Naked DSL as known by most) does not come with free routers from Afrihost. Clients that need ADSL or VDSL routers are free to source one themselves or get one from Afrihost if they require one. Why technicians are offering clients a Telkom branded D-Link router I can't say because the setup of R999 that is currently offered free on promotion does not include a router.

• Wow

mathebus

Happy July everyone... This actually stretched over into July. I can't believe it. Although the API did fail and my order went through manually on June 17th. Still, it's July. Craziness I tell you.

shahedgh

Thank you, your assistance has been great, the best i've received, compared to that from your support/technical/accounts team that were lost in the short grass, the progress we have made in the last hour outshines the frustration of the last two weeks. Thx again.
@cavedog - to the rescue again - Thank You , i see this morning in my mailbox i have my credit note , appreciate your assistance :)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
So Pure DSL or (Naked DSL as known by most) does not come with free routers from Afrihost. Clients that need ADSL or VDSL routers are free to source one themselves or get one from Afrihost if they require one. Why technicians are offering clients a Telkom branded D-Link router I can't say because the setup of R999 that is currently offered free on promotion does not include a router.
Thanks, I thought so. So why the hell was this Openserve technician offering me a shrink-wrapped router? Very strange.

That excuse has already worked. Think about it. By the way, I bet it was either @Valentine Steenkamp or @nad_isa or @mathebus who finally snapped ... and then snapped the cables in retribution.
LMAO! Cables go crack crack! Bolt cutters go SNIP SNIP!!

Huehuhehehe you got me thinking of ideas here @"D" :ROFL:

I would have gladly taken credit for that but alas it was not me.. I cannot think of a more generic copy/paste excuse from Openserve than saying "there's faulty cables".. I bet the company dog also ate that particular technicians briefing for the call out on the way as well.. How unfortunate

• Love
Reactions: "D"