Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

cavedog

Honorary Master
You've got multiple people in the same area reporting the same problem and you're... advising checking the router.
Are you sure you don't work for Afrihost support?

Line's still not great this morning. Speedtest reports this:

but it's loading like a 2 meg at best and still getting disconnects.
I'm about 700m from Wierdaglen on Openserve and on Afrihost pure fibre. I have a 200/100 line and it's perfect.

What do you want me to say? The Afrihost network is Sh**? Surely if it was their network I will be complaining too right?

So what is left on the list.... Openserve and your hardware. You can't troubleshoot Openserve network can you so rule out your own equipment then you are left with Openserve. Then get Afrihost to Log a fault with Openserve.

Countless times people have complained in this very same thread about how poor Afrihost is when it was hardware related or even cable provider related.

Mornelius

Chatted to Afrihost support:
"There seem to be a problem with openserve in centurion at the moment i do have 4 other client that are having the same problem"

Edit: I asked for an ETA:
"We do not have an ETA for not unfortunately"

Last edited:

Leitmotif

Expert Member
What do you want me to say? The Afrihost network is Sh**? Surely if it was their network I will be complaining too right?
Eh, I'm just on edge because there's been no response from Afrihost's reps here and SA companies have a habit of taking the example of someone being fine and twisting it around to "our other customers are okay, this is an issue with your side, not our responsibility to fix". I'm sure you can see how your response pattern matched to that.

I'm glad you're getting full service, I just wish we were.

Freakboy

Expert Member
Yes also on Openserve, Wierdaglen.

Ran WinMTR and this is the result:

Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                             192.168.1.1 -    0 |   38 |   38 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   38 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|          165-73-14-17.ip.afrihost.co.za -   32 |   38 |   26 |   13 |   15 |   29 |   15 |
|           169-1-21-29.ip.afrihost.co.za -   25 |   37 |   28 |   12 |   13 |   15 |   13 |
|          169-1-21-234.ip.afrihost.co.za -   17 |   37 |   31 |   12 |   13 |   14 |   13 |
|          169-1-21-235.ip.afrihost.co.za -   30 |   37 |   26 |   12 |   13 |   14 |   12 |
|           169-1-5-241.ip.afrihost.co.za -   11 |   37 |   33 |   12 |   15 |   68 |   16 |
|                          74.125.245.193 -   22 |   37 |   29 |   12 |   13 |   14 |   13 |
|                          216.239.40.199 -   25 |   37 |   28 |   13 |   14 |   21 |   14 |
|                              dns.google -   22 |   37 |   29 |   12 |   12 |   14 |   12 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )
Will try the direct connection to ONT when I get back from trying to renew my drivers license at 9:00.

Ok tried the direct connection to the ONT and nothing changed, still the same shitty speed.
Logged a fault support and this is the reply I got. Where do they get these people:

Hi XXXXXX

Trusting you are well and thank you for your valued email

Please log in to the set up page by typing 192.168.0.1
on a google page. Username is admin, Password(should be the one you created when setting up the router)
Click on >Wifi>Basic settings>Change region to SA>Automatic channel selection> Deactivate auto channel selection> Go to channels and change
channel>Apply and run a speed test. Please choose from channel 1-11.

Have a great day further

Regards
Whoever wrote this didn't even read my ticket as I mention I have a EdgeRouter and connected directly to it without any Wifi. And how can they suggest 192.168.0.1 as the login page?!?!? They do know you can change your IP range :X3:

Wrote a "nice" reply stating stop wasting my time & money and just escalate my issue higher up.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Eh, I'm just on edge because there's been no response from Afrihost's reps here and SA companies have a habit of taking the example of someone being fine and twisting it around to "our other customers are okay, this is an issue with your side, not our responsibility to fix". I'm sure you can see how your response pattern matched to that.

I'm glad you're getting full service, I just wish we were.
I get your frustration and would respond the same way. I was merely trying to say that I'm around the corner from some of the complaints on Openserve and Afrihost and it's fine my side. Not trying to rub it in that your net is not working.

All that said it does seem like an Openserve outage or issue on a certain route affecting clients.

Sollie

Executive Member
I'm about 700m from Wierdaglen on Openserve and on Afrihost pure fibre. I have a 200/100 line and it's perfect.
Gr8 4u - give yourself a noddy badge. :)

Axxess (upsteam ~ Afrihost)/Openserve/same area/same ****.
~30% packet loss.

I doubt everybody suddenly had cable/router problems. In fact a kind of deja vu, this seems to be happening once a month now. Packet shedding?

Posting here to avoid numpties being instructed by their ISPs to do dodgy things - like diagnose WiFi connects as above, swap cables, or get into arguments about acct nrs (true story).

Freakboy

Expert Member
And love how they now suddenly update their network status page with a Low Impact update for the whole of Centurion when people are getting 1/50th of their network speed and their PPPoE connection keeps disconnecting because the fibre line drops every couple om minutes...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Gr8 4u - give yourself a noddy badge. :)

~30% packet loss.

I doubt everybody suddenly had cable/router problems. In fact a kind of deja vu, this seems to be happening once a month now. Packet shedding?

Posting here to avoid numpties being instructed by their ISPs to do dodgy things - like diagnose WiFi connects as above, swap cables, or get into arguments about acct nrs (true story).
If you did not want a response why did you post here? Looking for a circle jerk with others experiencing slow speeds it seems.....

Toxic :rolleyes:

TRZ214

I have 5000ms ping, 0.60 download and 0.11 upload here on my 50/5 line on Vuma in Kensington. Somethings not right.

Sollie

Executive Member
If you did not want a response why did you post here? Looking for a circle jerk with others experiencing slow speeds it seems.....

Toxic :rolleyes:
Simple. So that people don't go fixing things that's not broken - just because some dude refuses to accept that a whole neighbourhood has issues on OpenServe because he is fine. That is toxic.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Simple. So that people don't go fixing things that's not broken - just because some dude refuses to accept that a whole neighbourhood has issues on OpenServe because he is fine. That is toxic.
So hardware doesn't break? Who said I refused to accept anything I said rule out your own hardware then you know who to blame before making silly statements about the whole Centurion being affected when it's not and well Centurion is not exactly a neigbourhood it pretty big if you haven't noticed.

The fact that you think because a certain area is off and experiencing issues it's the whole area pretty much says a lot.

gottagoon

Expert Member
I'm here reading this thread. You guys know stuff. I feel like a Moron. Luckily being called a Moron doesn't worry me.
So I won't worry.i just know stuff too.

Sollie

Executive Member
before making silly statements about the whole Centurion being affected when it's not and well Centurion is not exactly a neigbourhood it pretty big if you haven't noticed.
So silly of me - apologies.
~30% packet loss.
Unfortunately I'm not a pigeon chess exspurt, so I'm outta here ...

naeem.ally

Does anyone have afrihost with Vuma running on a UniFi solution?
Is there any specific settings that I need to setup, my wan port did not want to refresh the ip address today, not sure if it was a glitch or a settings issue.

BravoDrie

I am basically down in Wierda park. 0.29 Mbps down and 48.17 Mbps up. Been like this since late morning.

Freakboy

Expert Member
I am basically down in Wierda park. 0.29 Mbps down and 48.17 Mbps up. Been like this since late morning.
Do they reply on Hello Peter? Wonder if we all post there now if they will try and get some feedback for us. Getting tired of the support guys knowing €$~% all and telling me to reboot router & wait

Reactions: OCP

BravoDrie

Do they reply on Hello Peter? Wonder if we all post there now if they will try and get some feedback for us. Getting tired of the support guys knowing €$~% all and telling me to reboot router & wait
I don't think so - if they can't even update their website once every 6 hours, I doubt they will reply anywhere. It is very frustrating.

Reactions: OCP

Freakboy

Expert Member
I don't think so - if they can't even update their website once every 6 hours, I doubt they will reply anywhere. It is very frustrating.
My line is now basically dead. PPPoE on my EdgeRouter can't connect and keeps dying after few second if any connection is made.