Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Yea, 3 different routers later and I came right. Also confusing how it affected local and international speeds differently. New routers and a new switch and it's all sorted ;)
Could be that either the switch, or one of the connecting cables, was limited to slower speeds, though even CAT 5 should do 100Mbps easily :(

CommonSense

So. I am a new subscriber to Afrihost who subscribed to 100/100Mbps line. My link currently is 10/10.

I honestly thought that the complaints I read about their support is overblown.
That is until I experienced the utter incompetence of their support staff.
I can make that statement because I have proof of that on my WhatsApp conversations with them.

It must be staff who probably only recently started or finished the most basic IT courses as the level of answers to basic networking questions is shocking.

Even their understanding of how a Screenshot works is astoundingly lacking.

They even imply that customers are lying when they send screenshots of Speedtest results. That is the worst customer service experience I have had in a long time.

Since I signed up with them and there is a 6 month period before I can move to another service provider.

If this problem cannot be solved effectively and efficiently then I will join the masses who will proclaim that customers should stay away from Afrihost.
Time will tell.

I am so disappointed and frustrated at this moment.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
So. I am a new subscriber to Afrihost who subscribed to 100/100Mbps line. My link currently is 10/10.

I honestly thought that the complaints I read about their support is overblown.
That is until I experienced the utter incompetence of their support staff.
I can make that statement because I have proof of that on my WhatsApp conversations with them.

It must be staff who probably only recently started or finished the most basic IT courses as the level of answers to basic networking questions is shocking.

Even their understanding of how a Screenshot works is astoundingly lacking.

They even imply that customers are lying when they send screenshots of Speedtest results. That is the worst customer service experience I have had in a long time.

Since I signed up with them and there is a 6 month period before I can move to another service provider.

If this problem cannot be solved effectively and efficiently then I will join the masses who will proclaim that customers should stay away from Afrihost.
Time will tell.

I am so disappointed and frustrated at this moment.
I am so sorry about this and thanks so much for emailing me all the details as per our PM discussion.

I really don't believe that this is the general experience, and I think 99% of our guys are super amazing (and much better at dealing with complex technical stuff than me). However, in the service industry, it's always possible that someone needs more training, had a bad day, or maybe just isn't suited for this work. We'll definitely investigate and figure out which one is applicable and take the appropriate action. Our client's experience is the most important thing in our business :(

CommonSense

I am so sorry about this and thanks so much for emailing me all the details as per our PM discussion.

I really don't believe that this is the general experience, and I think 99% of our guys are super amazing (and much better at dealing with complex technical stuff than me). However, in the service industry, it's always possible that someone needs more training, had a bad day, or maybe just isn't suited for this work. We'll definitely investigate and figure out which one is applicable and take the appropriate action. Our client's experience is the most important thing in our business :(
Update.

I am glad to report that after going ballistic here that a 2nd level support Technician who was super efficient diagnosed the problem and contacted Vumatel to sort the problem.

It is sad that I had to go through three/four 1st line technicians who just did the same thing over and over, even though the SPEEDTEST results I showed them clearly showed VOX as my ISP at that stage and not AFRIHOST.

Turns out my line and my neighbours line was swopped around.

The first line technicians are not helping your company out.
AfriMan and Bradley M from the Critical Care Crew pulled the calve out of the ditch it was sinking in.

I now have to see if I can see any difference between the VOX 10/10 line and my Afrihost 100/100 line. Speedtests are showing a magnitude of improvement at least.

Again, sad that the 1st line response team is not really doing a good job, even to the point of implying I am lying to them.

Thanks AfriMan for your assistance.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Update.

I am glad to report that after going ballistic here that a 2nd level support Technician who was super efficient diagnosed the problem and contacted Vumatel to sort the problem.

It is sad that I had to go through three/four 1st line technicians who just did the same thing over and over, even though the SPEEDTEST results I showed them clearly showed VOX as my ISP at that stage and not AFRIHOST.

Turns out my line and my neighbours line was swopped around.

The first line technicians are not helping your company out.
AfriMan and Bradley M from the Critical Care Crew pulled the calve out of the ditch it was sinking in.

I now have to see if I can see any difference between the VOX 10/10 line and my Afrihost 100/100 line. Speedtests are showing a magnitude of improvement at least.

Again, sad that the 1st line response team is not really doing a good job, even to the point of implying I am lying to them.

Thanks AfriMan for your assistance.
In any ISP the first line support guys are there to troubleshoot the obvious issues because holding up 2nd or NOC time with requests like how to setup emails or why my wifi is slow in the other room but next to the router it's fast. Unfortunately this comes at a price where real issues don't always make it to the right people or make it to the right people in time causing frustration.

Cav5034

@AfriMan @pinball wizard

Any update on the Fibre break (SADV) in Summerstrand? Afrihost support has given no feedback from a ticket submitted a couple days ago and SADV support doesn't have an answer. This is over a month with no Fibre and my VDSL gets cut tomorrow if telkom keep to their schedule. For once I'm hoping they don't...

This has been over a month with no Fibre

Mornelius

Also in Centurion... not only are speeds very low, but I keep on getting network disconnects on Afrihost
Ping: 12ms
Download: 1.58Mbps
Upload: 38.59Mbps

It is supposed to be a 100Mbps line

cavedog

Honorary Master
I did not notice any issue last night. Also on Openserve in Centurion.

Freakboy

Expert Member

Just retested connected directly to my EdgeRouter and this is the result.
HTF can upload be correct but donwload only 2% of my speed.
@AfriMan @AfriGuy @Afrigirl @AfriGenie this looks more like shaping to me :unsure:

Update:
This cannot be correct, something has to be broken on their network!!!
Nothing has changed with my setup.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
View attachment 764828

Just retested connected directly to my EdgeRouter and this is the result.
HTF can upload be correct but donwload only 2% of my speed.
@AfriMan @AfriGuy @Afrigirl @AfriGenie this looks more like shaping to me :unsure:

Update:
View attachment 764838
This cannot be correct, something has to be broken on their network!!!
Nothing has changed with my setup.

Packetloss..... Cable provider or hardware failure mate. You need to run a MTR to see if you can identify where the loss is coming from.

If you are on Openserve connect directly to the ONT LAN1 and dial the pppoe connection from your pc or laptop and check again.

Last edited:

Freakboy

Expert Member
Are you on Openserve? I'm in Wierdapark on Openserve and it's perfect....

View attachment 764854
Yes also on Openserve, Wierdaglen.

Packetloss..... Cable provider or hardware failure mate. You need to run a MTR to see if you can identify where the loss is coming from.

View attachment 764860

If you are on Openserve connect directly to the ONT LAN1 and dial the pppoe connection from your pc or laptop and check again.
Ran WinMTR and this is the result:

Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                             192.168.1.1 -    0 |   38 |   38 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   38 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|          165-73-14-17.ip.afrihost.co.za -   32 |   38 |   26 |   13 |   15 |   29 |   15 |
|           169-1-21-29.ip.afrihost.co.za -   25 |   37 |   28 |   12 |   13 |   15 |   13 |
|          169-1-21-234.ip.afrihost.co.za -   17 |   37 |   31 |   12 |   13 |   14 |   13 |
|          169-1-21-235.ip.afrihost.co.za -   30 |   37 |   26 |   12 |   13 |   14 |   12 |
|           169-1-5-241.ip.afrihost.co.za -   11 |   37 |   33 |   12 |   15 |   68 |   16 |
|                          74.125.245.193 -   22 |   37 |   29 |   12 |   13 |   14 |   13 |
|                          216.239.40.199 -   25 |   37 |   28 |   13 |   14 |   21 |   14 |
|                              dns.google -   22 |   37 |   29 |   12 |   12 |   14 |   12 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )
Will try the direct connection to ONT when I get back from trying to renew my drivers license at 9:00.

OCP

Expert Member
We are staying at a guest house in Kommetjie that came with Afrihost fibre - Netflix buffering, kids not able to log into roblox, VPN to office keeps disconnecting.
Max download speed a massive 0.9mbps :-(

Fortunately I brought my 3G router which even with poor reception is not giving us any problems and descents speeds.

So glad I am not a AH client anymore!

Loppas

So glad I am not a AH client anymore!
Afrihost has been pretty damn solid in regards to speeds for the past 5 months for me (getting full 200mb to international anytime of the day) and many others. The only issue their network has is that the routing to eu isn't the best. Honestly sounds like you got a congested line that you are using or bad wifi.

OCP

Expert Member
Afrihost has been pretty damn solid in regards to speeds for the past 6 months for me (getting full 200mb to international anytime of the day) and many others. The only issue their network has is that the routing to eu isn't the best. Honestly sounds like you got a congested line that you are using or bad wifi.
Nha - same problem when I connect laptop via network cable.

Just spoke to home owner and she confirmed she has had numerous complaints from guests right from when the fibre was installed.

Not going to waste my Holliday time on the phone to delightfull AH support (prefer to remain stress and frustration free) but have given her some suggestions.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Nha - same problem when I connect laptop via network cable.

Just spoke to home owner and she confirmed she has had numerous complaints from guests right from when the fibre was installed.

Not going to waste my Holliday time on the phone to delightfull AH support (prefer to remain stress and frustration free) but have given her some suggestions.
Let me guess you use Cool Ideas?

Anyways you experience does not even remotely resemble what I experience on their fibre since pure Fibre was launched.

The cable provider could play a big role and I won't be surprised if it's frogfoot or octotel.

Leitmotif

Expert Member

You've got multiple people in the same area reporting the same problem and you're... advising checking the router.
Are you sure you don't work for Afrihost support?

Line's still not great this morning. Speedtest reports this:

but it's loading like a 2 meg at best and still getting disconnects.