Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

Budza

Executive Member
Anyone here who has been using the mini R799 UPS from Afrihost for a while who can give me some feedback?
How long have you had it and does it last as in do the batteries still last threw load shedding after let's say a year? Also wonder whether the batteries is user replaceable and if so, are they available somewhere?

I pre-ordered fibre yesterday and didn't choose the UPS option, but now I'm having second thoughts. I know I can get a small computer UPS for a similar price maybe even cheaper, but I like the idea of not having to go from DC to AC only for the router power supplies to take it back to DC again.

Then there is of course the question whether Openserve's equipment in my area have backup power, any way I can try find this out?

Link to UPS? I just got my fibre sorted. I didn't see any option to add UPS.

I've got a 5200mAh UPS LiPo thing that can to 3A in and 3A out. Has a y-cable going to ONT and router. Seems to handle load shedding just fine.

Compare that to my RCT UPS which died after the 1st year of loadshedding :(

MavChat

Expert Member
Anyone here who has been using the mini R799 UPS from Afrihost for a while who can give me some feedback?
How long have you had it and does it last as in do the batteries still last threw load shedding after let's say a year? Also wonder whether the batteries is user replaceable and if so, are they available somewhere?

I pre-ordered fibre yesterday and didn't choose the UPS option, but now I'm having second thoughts. I know I can get a small computer UPS for a similar price maybe even cheaper, but I like the idea of not having to go from DC to AC only for the router power supplies to take it back to DC again.

Then there is of course the question whether Openserve's equipment in my area have backup power, any way I can try find this out?
Had mine for over a year. Runs for 8 hours on my router... And 6 hours on my CPAP machine if there is planned load shedding in the middle of the night :)

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Link to UPS? I just got my fibre sorted. I didn't see any option to add UPS.

I've got a 5200mAh UPS LiPo thing that can to 3A in and 3A out. Has a y-cable going to ONT and router. Seems to handle load shedding just fine.

Compare that to my RCT UPS which died after the 1st year of loadshedding :(

It should have prompt you during checkout if you wanted the UPS.

Here is a link to it.

Budza

Executive Member
Had mine for over a year. Runs for 8 hours on my router... And 6 hours on my CPAP machine if there is planned load shedding in the middle of the night :)
Nice. Beefier than my one, good to know I'd probably get proportionately less run time but still enough to get through all but the worst loadshedding.

It should have prompt you during checkout if you wanted the UPS.

Here is a link to it.

1614779692000.png

GIZZU 8800mAh Mini UPS​

Battery8800mAhPowerVia DC or PoE

R799.00Once-Off

KinsZA

Expert Member
Will we be told once our accounts should have been upgraded for the Openserve speed upgrade on Afrihost's side ?

I understand yesterday you said that its being worked on.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Will we be told once our accounts should have been upgraded for the Openserve speed upgrade on Afrihost's side ?

I understand yesterday you said that its being worked on.

Everyone will be upgraded automatically. The new speeds will just start showing in clientzone and the speedtest will reflect that.

JustJack

Expert Member
Hi @AfriNatic

Just did a speed test: LAN
Ping
4ms
Download
99.31Mbps
Upload
96.89Mbps

Cell wifi:
Ping