Amending the Constitution on land is becoming unavoidable

BTTB

Amending the Constitution on land is becoming unavoidable
This has been my niggling thought over the last couple of months as events unfold in South Africa, pre 2019 Elections.
I cannot help but think that the current ANC top guys thought that using this controversial issue pre-election was to drum up votes going into the elections. The problem will arise if the ANC does not secure a 50% majority and needs to make a coalition with a smaller party like the EFF, then the land expropriation without compensation issue will become a self fulfilling prophecy as I can vouch that the EFF will not go into a coalition with the ANC without this question being addressed according to their own manifesto.
It is with this in mind that I think we need to be very afraid and reading Max Du Preez's comments, it might well be wiser for the ANC to address the issues before elections while they still have the power than leaving it to an unknown outcome post 2019 elections.

Any form of Mugabe style land invasions or land being grabbed illegally from private land owners will catapult South Africa into a recession it may not recover from and put us on an even worse path than we are as we muddle our way through a decade of Zuma ilk corruption.

Last edited:

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
That's why I am not buying any form of property and I keep my assets in SA to the absolute minumum

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Gave up on buying property ages ago and have now secured a foreign passport, writing was on the wall years back

Quicks

Another ANC success story. They must be careful what they wish for they might just get it.

BBSA

Executive Member
I doubt the EFF will get enough votes to give the ANC/EFF coalition enough votes to change the constitution if the ANC gets less than 50% of the vote.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Good article and points out something I think we already knew:
This underlines something I have written about many times: the land debate is almost more about history, symbolism, redress, justice and black dignity than about land itself.
It does make me think perhaps I should think about working abroad for a few years and earning a passport somewhere else. If poo hits the fan, I stay there, if not, I come home.

Tander

Expert Member
I'm not sure why all the fuss. The ANC are guaranteed to get more than 50% next year. So no need to speak of coalitions and what have you. The land issue will also just go away. Its all about elections... and whats one more unfulfilled promise to the masses, anyway?

konfab

Honorary Master
It simply doesn't feel right that black people have less access to land than the white people whose ancestors openly started arriving in 1652.
Some hate facts
Most of their ancestors would not have had access to land anyway as the land was controlled by tribal chiefs. Grouping all black people together as one group who collectively owned the land is being completely ignorant of the historical facts.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
In regards to foreign passport, not so easy for some of us with no ties or relations overseas.. if I could I would have secured it decades ago. BUT, I keep my options open.

I'm not sure why all the fuss. The ANC are guaranteed to get more than 50% next year. So no need to speak of coalitions and what have you. The land issue will also just go away. Its all about elections... and whats one more unfulfilled promise to the masses, anyway?
I am not so sure about that, this time...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I doubt the EFF will get enough votes to give the ANC/EFF coalition enough votes to change the constitution if the ANC gets less than 50% of the vote.
Yeah..

I expect the ANC to get around the 52/53% range and for the EFF to stay roughly where they are... so it will even out to 60%.. so unless they can convince the smaller parties making up 6% of Parliament, they will fall short.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
66% to change Section 25 as it falls within Chapter 2 of the Constitution.

R13...

Honorary Master
They do run a real risk of falling below 50%, well at least they did if they'd get Zuma on until next year. In the meantime the Zuma years have allowed the likes of the EFF to rise, the DA to make significant inroads in municipal elections. Ironic that that some of the reasons cited for them losing so much ground to the DA was Malema (during his tenure as ANCYL prez, and his increased racist rhetoric even then).

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Yeah..

I expect the ANC to get around the 52/53% range and for the EFF to stay roughly where they are... so it will even out to 60%.. so unless they can convince the smaller parties making up 6% of Parliament, they will fall short.
And you don't think smaller parties will jump at the opportunity to be king-maker and milk it for all its worth?

Tander

Expert Member
They do run a real risk of falling below 50%, well at least they did if they'd get Zuma on until next year. In the meantime the Zuma years have allowed the likes of the EFF to rise, the DA to make significant inroads in municipal elections. Ironic that that some of the reasons cited for them losing so much ground to the DA was Malema (during his tenure as ANCYL prez, and his increased racist rhetoric even then).
Keeping Zuma would have been the death of the party. I think Cyril has saved them from loosing power with all the new dawn BS. I just don't think its even remotely possible for them to loose next years elections. They could literally do nothing until then and they would still win by majority.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And you don't think smaller parties will jump at the opportunity to be king-maker and milk it for all its worth?
I don't know to be honest...

The smaller parties are the worry, some will want to be king maker and others will want to avoid the shyte storm it will generate.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
The ANC are winning by a landslide next year and EWC will become reality.

Anybody that thinks differently is in for a horrible shock, so best prepare yourselves.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
I don't know to be honest...

The smaller parties are the worry, some will want to be king maker and others will want to avoid the shyte storm it will generate.
So far, I can only think of three parties I am 99.9% sure of, wont jump ship. COPE, the DA and FF+. The rest are wild cards. IFP, NFP, AGANG, UDM, PAC and if the ANC can offer them enough, they will side with this issue and milk the situation. Think the ACDP is also a "safe" bet to side with the 3 99.9% safe bets mentioned earlier. I mean, there is that commandment in that book they claim they follow about not stealing.