Amobia

biohazard

Hey guys

I'm considering joining Amobia in Jhb (residential use).

Wondering what others have experienced by way of:
actual throughput
interference from thunderstorms
general service

I am no gamer, but want to use Skype. This was not possible with another WISP I was with before (perhaps the latency was massive given that their bandwidth was satellite based).

Any advice welcome...

Thanks

j@w

Amobia is one of your biggest & oldest wisps and no big problems that i've heard/read before.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
They dropped their prices down to R69 per GB - not as low as ADSL but at least a step in the right direction. I am very happy with their service after almost 3 years now.

Inevitable

Amobia are excellent! They even went so far as reconfiguring their netowork to work on xbox live for me. Really cool. Not using them anymore only because bandwidth is far cheaper on ADSL. But you get excellent speed on Amobia.

foX2delta

In Cape Town they have no international access since yesterday...
Well i'm on the cape town side and can say i have internation access, maybe it was telcom...

Nothing but good things to say, have done be well and as far as cost, you've got to remember wireless will aways be more, but great service and friendly.

mikez69

excelant service!! really quick to install, i just got uncapped 384 line and im really happy. i orderd my telkom line last year may 2009 nd still waiting. i live in glenanda jhb south, so not like i live on a farm. but all i can say speeds are good hitting 10kbs- 42kbs on torrents, and im 3km from Amobia tower. Would recomend to any 1 and i will be letting my neighbours know too. THANKS AMOBIA

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Very glad you are happy with them. The guy that bought my CPE put a 2mbps unshaped (2GB cap) account on it and he is also very impressed with it. Their service really is top notch and you don't have two or more companies to deal with it you have problems - line on ADSL you have Telkom and your ISP.

I'm still a fan of Amobia even though I'm on M-Web 4mbps uncapped ADSL.

mikez69

Like i said im on 384 uncapped these are my speeds. PING: 364ms DOWNLOAD: 479kbs UPLOAD: 225kbs ... this test was to New York . I love Amobia. How many gigs u getin off 4mbps line @Rouxenator??

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I send them an email about three months ago if they covered centurion and they said no, but they will soon expand to get greater coverage. But I can't see any progress on their coverage map. Does anyone know if they build more highsites recently and if they cover centurion yet?

mikez69

i spoke to one of the tech guys while they were installing my cpe, they said they were going that same day to look at a possible new site. but cant rember where, unfortuently there is only 2 guys running the gauteng region. they did however say they will be geting another 2 guys in to train.... and they said next area would be benoni, boksburg... hope that helped. if i were you id give them a call and just keep bugging them,im sure they will help you... excelant service. do they know that you are intrested in being a member phonejunky???

Mr.Jax

Expert Member
Ag, they seriously need to start covering the centurion area, I'm a guaranteed sale....**** telkom

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I am also a gauranteed sale. I emailed them about two months ago, but I could make more of a fuss I guess. I also stay in centurion, but we would probably not be in the same tower range. Atleast mtn said they will be putting up a 3G tower soon.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Just out of interest phoneJunky, what type of account will you be getting? Capped or Uncapped? Their uncapped accounts are basically M-Web uncapped and their capped accounts are WebAfrica unshaped accounts.

sapr3.techie

I am also a guaranteed sale if Amobia extend their coverage to the Boksburg area.

Their prices are very reasonable and they seem to have many happy customers.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I would either get the 1 Mbps or 2 Mbps uncapped account. Do any of you guys no how you can add a hotspot in your area, or do you have to have a telkom line to do this?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I used a Linksys WRT54GS with my Amobia connection. I am actually thinking of selling it for about 400 bucks. PM if you are interested.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Am I allowed to do the install myself?

Wug stuff would probably not work on it eitherway, it would have been cool if I could have used all the same equipment to run the wug and amobia.

Rouxenator: we currently don't have coverage, but when we get I will look you up to see if it is still available.

Last edited: