Android Auto (Google Assistant) vs Apple Carplay (Siri)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yes, and on that note, I came across something the other that that is, in my opinion, just fliipin daft. An example:
The lower bar that is always displayed during navigation.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/7TWJCuPPvK4;context-place=forum/android-auto
I just cannot see why that is a proper and official answer. There are so many ways to implement such a request safely and and simply. Ironically, there are other on-screen buttons that fade away during navigation and return when the screen is tapped.
Yeah, it takes up a bunch of space that could be better utilised. It's not so bad if your phone is in landscape mode.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
One thing I'll give Google Assistant credit for is the option to type to it unlike Siri that forces you to talk.

It's great for moments like these sitting at your desk and not wanting to talk to your phone like a twat but needing to test something.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Yeah, it takes up a bunch of space that could be better utilised. It's not so bad if your phone is in landscape mode.
It's a real pain in the ass if you're using a head unit and not the phone display.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
For a moment I thought maybe you are into something and there's a second layer hidden away from Google Maps.

But nope it's right there.

It just doesn't correlate the words to it for some reason and Google instead.
Have you setup your commute under preferences > getting around?

EDIT: I'm too late :mad:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I find Google Music horrible to navigate compared to Apple Music I must say.

But I haven't spent enough time with it just yet to really hate on it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Bah it can take me to home and work but still can't navigate my contacts.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yes my contacts are fully populated.

None of these issues on iOS.

Same contacts from same Google account.
ATM it looks like it doesn't work, unless you label them individually like home and work addresses.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That is ****ing retarded.

Not even directly on your phone?
You want to know what's even worse? Once you add the label it asks you which entry you want to go to - the one from the label or the one from your contacts.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Can confirm. Assistant can't load address from Contacts. What's rather hilarious though is that contact details of the few contacts I had updated showed up as cards on my head unit, so that they may take up space and irritate me until I swipe them away.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Looks like AA received an update overnight. Hopefully resolves a few issues.