Android Auto (Google Assistant) vs Apple Carplay (Siri)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you actually get yours from the Play Store?
Yeah. I used my Getflix VPN to install it but I wasn't sure if it would continue to update it without the VPN - seems like it does.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah. I used my Getflix VPN to install it but I wasn't sure if it would continue to update it without the VPN - seems like it does.
Oh then I must try that because Tunnel bear on the phone didn't work so I'm guessing you VPN your whole network setup.

The APKMirror does fine but need to manually update then.

Either they havent uploaded it or I had the latest already from reinstalling on the weekend.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Oh then I must try that because Tunnel bear on the phone didn't work so I'm guessing you VPN your whole network setup.

The APKMirror does fine but need to manually update then.

Either they havent uploaded it or I had the latest already from reinstalling on the weekend.
No, I only use the VPN on individual devices when necessary. Not sure how to set up my router to do it and I'm fairly certain I wouldn't even if I knew how to.

Looks like I'm currently on version 3.0.570554-release

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No, I only use the VPN on individual devices when necessary. Not sure how to set up my router to do it and I'm fairly certain I wouldn't even if I knew how to.

Looks like I'm currently on version 3.0.570554-release
Okay then I'll try Tunnel bear again.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hmm weird even on the US account it won't let me find it on store.

Must hate the device and not be compatible.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Mention what device it is so we all know to avoid it.
Talking to me?

Well it's a POS Android so it really doesn't matter.

But it's the FNB Conexis X2 because I'm not spending my own money on a Droid. Either way it's not officially supported in SA so loopholes are required regardless.

As has been evidenced the other two Droid users have the same problems...so it's not a device issue.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Talking to me?

Well it's a POS Android so it really doesn't matter.

But it's the FNB Conexis X2 because I'm not spending my own money on a Droid. Either way it's not officially supported in SA so loopholes are required regardless.

As has been evidenced the other two Droid users have the same problems...so it's not a device issue.
Yup & I see.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So much cleaner and more user friendly than AA :crying:

Oh, and it works.
Ja at this rate I'm thinking of leaving my old 5S in the car permanently with the Telkom SIM that I has 3GB a month and I don't use at all right now just to use Apple Carplay instead.

I find it highly amusing (read irritating) that Google Play Music is on Carplay...but Apple Music isn't on Android Auto because that's really my biggest issue at this point.

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ja at this rate I'm thinking of leaving my old 5S in the car permanently with the Telkom SIM that I has 3GB a month and I don't use at all right now just to use Apple Carplay instead.
I considered doing the same thing but I'd have to forward all my calls to it while I was in the car or forgo the handsfree aspect.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I considered doing the same thing but I'd have to forward all my calls to it while I was in the car or forgo the handsfree aspect.
Yeah that was the part I realised soon after posting.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hyundai stock image of CP running on the new Hyundai Santa Fe (in Korean)