Android set to dominate mobile

hawker

Honorary Master
Hopefully they can sort out the fragmentation issues.

Otherwise, go Android!

I love my HTC Desire :)

Lydon

Expert Member
Fragmentation is exactly why I'm wary of Android. I prefer having certain standards in place.

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
This is a great article 10/10

If OEMs could be forced to produce updates within a certain time frame from a new Android release it could help. I would love to see WP7 rise tbh

The one thing which I thought was that if Google become more restrictive with their source-code it may alienate Android fans and developers. on the other hand it means a much better situation regarding Androids fragmentation.

On a Side note: the conspiracy theorists who think that Google are purposefully witholding the Honeycomb source code because they want to "take a new direction" can go die somewhere, if they want to hold onto the source code they can do so as long as they see fit.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
After drowning my BB I have ordered a Motorola Defy, which will be my first taste of Android.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
I still fail to see what all the fuss about fragmentation is. I don't know anyone who has been affected. As for those not buying an Android phone, and using fragmentation as an excuse, it is mainly a problem for developers not end users.

Shayd

Expert Member
I have no idea why fragmentation is stated as such a problem. All new devices are coming 2.2+ and pretty much all programs run on this.

Anyhow the android marketplace automatically filers out apps that don't run on your device so how would you notice.

I am sure some are blaming fragmentation on the fact that their device cannot run one program or another. If you buy a wildfire or similar spec device then obviously you cannot run hd games. This has nothing to do with fragmentation and everything to do with the device.

Sent from my apple stomping, berry crushing droid! Samsung Galaxy S.

OMB

Mountain Man
Nice article, my current contract expire in July and am already thinking of my next phone (have had an HTC Snap for the last 18 months and very happy with it), have been toying with either moving to RIM with a BB Torch (wife has one and she loves it), or else sticking with HTC and trying out Android, this article may just have helped in my final decision so long as I can get a decent contract when it's time to renew.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Fragmentation is a non-issue. Here's the latest report from Google on version distribution.

If my maths holds out (although I make no guarantees), that's 93.6% of devices on Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread, which have minimal compatibility issues between them. As Android matures, fragmentation will become less of an issue, not more so.

Oh, and obligatory :rolleyes:

drukkie

Expert Member
fragmentation? never had an issue...like the guys said above all new devices are 2.1 up...i'm on my second one and never had issues...
sounds like steve trying to pull a fast one LOL....frag is a non issue to the end consumer...and if app devs want to keep on developing they need to suck it up.

personnally i like all the upgrades!! a new faster smarter interface every 6 months? perfect!

stricken

Expert Member
Only 14% of the developers in the study felt that fragmentation was not an issue at all.

i.e. only 14% of developers can actually code properly. like Roman said, its contamination thats the problem, not fragmentation which is fairly simple to manage.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Makes sense that Android will dominate... it is by far the best of the current lot of Mobile OS's. Having used pretty much all of them (except maybe Microsoft's newest), I must say that Android blows all of the others out of the water.

stricken

Expert Member
except maybe Microsoft's newest

dont even bother. if you have even the slightest need to make your phone your own - i.e. customization / skins / etc.. then Winmo7 like iOS, is in the stoneage.

I can understand that Apple wants to protect content distribution and software quality, but TELLING ME HOW MY INTERFACE SHOULD LOOK?! that was the last straw. Android FTW.

K

kingrob

Best decision I ever made was to ditch my iPhone for a HTC Desire HD.

And with Gingerbread and Sense 3.0 soon to be released for the Desire HD, I couldn't be happier!

Apple's iPhone will go the same way as their computer division, where they end up having a 5% share of the market.

RIM is going south & with the new pricing for 2GB data bundles from CellC and Vodacom (R149), why pay R59 a month for a crappy internet experience on a tiny screen and plastic phone?

Windows Phone won't last, cos like stricken just said, people want to personalize their phones & Windows Phone does not allow any of that.

Go Android!!

Skankhunt

Expert Member
The only reason why I didn't go Android a few weeks ago, is because it's touchscreen and I dont like touchscreens :(

BeVonk!

Executive Member
If it goes the way of desktops/notebooks its perfectly fine with me. The masses can have as much Windows/Android as they want. I'll take the Mac/iOS.

Macs selling well