Android smoothness vs iOS

corp

So how long until Android will be as smooth and responsive as iOS? I love my Android based phone using Darky's ROM but today I noticed in videos of the Motorola Xoom and etc that the crisp responsiveness and smooth motion is just such a killer feature of iOS. Yes yes...Android can do so much more and chows few more resources but one cannot deny what Apple have succeeded in doing.

K

kingrob

So how long until Android will be as smooth and responsive as iOS? I love my Android based phone using Darky's ROM but today I noticed in videos of the Motorola Xoom and etc that the crisp responsiveness and smooth motion is just such a killer feature of iOS. Yes yes...Android can do so much more and chows few more resources but one cannot deny what Apple have succeeded in doing.

What phone have you got?

I honestly dont know what you're talking about.

Vegeta

Executive Member
My android is faster and smoother than my ipod touch

Sent from my HTC Desire

K

kingrob

My android is faster and smoother than my ipod touch

Sent from my HTC Desire

hehe.....I replaced my iPhone 3G with a Desire HD. It felt like someone enabled turbo mode on my phone. :)

I love my HTC Desire HD. :love:

Keeper

Honorary Master
Smooth Motion? what dat? when I rotate my Galaxy Tablet all I get is a lag and suddenly it's rotated 90 degrees.....there is no animation?

K

kingrob

Smooth Motion? what dat? when I rotate my Galaxy Tablet all I get is a lag and suddenly it's rotated 90 degrees.....there is no animation?

I think you meant iPad. ;)

Bloody agent.

Maddmatt

Expert Member
iOS uses the GPU to render the interface while Android mostly uses the CPU. So when the CPU is trying to do other stuff at the same time you get some stutter.
Android Honeycomb finally adds GPU acceleration in the interface so with the right hardware, it should match iOS in smoothness and can add some cool 3D effects to the interface.
Though on the 1Ghz Android phones the stutter is so rare and minor that it's not much of an issue. And the budget phones with slower CPUs generally don't have decent GPUs that could take advantage of GPU accelerated interfaces anyway.

K

kingrob

iOS uses the GPU to render the interface while Android mostly uses the CPU. So when the CPU is trying to do other stuff at the same time you get some stutter.
Android Honeycomb finally adds GPU acceleration in the interface so with the right hardware, it should match iOS in smoothness and can add some cool 3D effects to the interface.
Though on the 1Ghz Android phones the stutter is so rare and minor that it's not much of an issue. And the budget phones with slower CPUs generally don't have decent GPUs that could take advantage of GPU accelerated interfaces anyway.

I dont know if Samsung's Touchwiz UI is hardware accelerated, but Sense is, so maybe thats why owners of HTC phones dont know what the fuss is all about.

cyb3rt

Yeah this thread is kinda weird... lol. My buddy has a ifone 4 and to be honest the "smoothness" as you call it, is not noticeably spotted by the human eye between the ifone and my Desire...

dabbler

Expert Member
My Galaxy S is as smooth as a baby's bottom ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

cyb3rt

Probably an undercover ifone fanboy trying to stir up the Adroid subforum. Agent :/

corp

Thanks. I now understand. Any idea when they going to give more GPU acceleration support in the mobile versions of Android? I only ask cause I know Honeycomb is for tablet only.

K

kingrob

I have a SGS

Weird. You already running Froyo on your phone?

I can't get confirmation anywhere, but it looks like Touchwiz is also hardware accelerated and uses the GPU a lot. And the Galaxy S does have a bloody good GPU.

4cer

Expert Member
Oke from the Iphone 3GS to the galaxy... was like going from an i3 to an i7.

Shayd

Expert Member
Oke from the Iphone 3GS to the galaxy... was like going from an i3 to an i7.

Hey don't you dis the i3. I have 2 in my house.

Oh and on topic, I have a galaxy s and did thw update to froyo. Smooth like silk here.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

cyb3rt

I have been called many things in the past but that is just below the belt. LoL.

You brought it upon yourself :p But yeah I don't know, it might be your setup that has something wrong with it cause I can honestly say the ifone and my Desire are equally smooth in everything comparable. Whats your setup, droid version, ROM if any, radio, ect. are you running? Maybe that can help explain more