Aramex global shopper

Kensei2605

Update from my side phoned AGS
My package was stuck in NY branch from 8/6/2020 until 28/6/2020 - now on its way to Dubai.

My parcel left 23/06 US No updates on app but spoke to someone yesterday said my parcel is in Dubai so seems there is delays to. She said JNB is still closed but as Dee mentioned they are open maybe just not receiving parcels yet only speculating though.

milan188

As promised I am updating you guys with my experience with MYUS.com

I am on their free plan with no consolidation.

Currently they have a backlog of a week in the US.

Their shipping address is in a tax free postal code but some merchants' software do not pick this up so you may get charged tax. I asked the merchant for a refund for the tax afterwards which was processed quickly.

The normal shipping cost for a R1kg package is R551.00 compared to R414.00 (R373.00 with flex) on Aramex. I did receive a $20 voucher towards this because of the delays. So I paid less about R200 for the shipping. There were no additional admin fees charged by MyUS.

Once they processed my package they used the invoice in the box for customs details and it was sent immediately through to the shipping company.

The shipping was through Fedex Economy (you have a choice of various options) which took less than a week to arrive in South Africa.

Fedex's handling fee was R150 for the package. I cannot remember what Aramex charges for handling fee.

Overall good experience considering the issues in the US. For expensive items MYUS might turn out cheaper because of the US tax savings.

Last edited:

xbmcfan

Anyone used Buffalo Express's China shopping service before?

It's similar to MyUS & AGS but just for China.
You can buy things from 1688 or Aliexpress and then an agent goes and buys the physical item and ships it to you, they then add an agent fee too.
You can also buy directly from any shop and send it to their forwarding address.
They also consolidate packages and keep it in their warehouse for up to 60 days, something Aramex Global Shopper doesn't support.
The shipping rates are also cheaper than AGS, currently R399 5-12 days(or R511 for 3-7 days shipping) for up to 1kg vs. R518 what AGS charges. R297 for <0.5kg, if it's a small parcel.
Hope post Covid-19 shipping for all services become cheaper soon.

Tinuva

The Magician
Anyone used Buffalo Express's China shopping service before?

It's similar to MyUS & AGS but just for China.
You can buy things from 1688 or Aliexpress and then an agent goes and buys the physical item and ships it to you, they then add an agent fee too.
You can also buy directly from any shop and send it to their forwarding address.
They also consolidate packages and keep it in their warehouse for up to 60 days, something Aramex Global Shopper doesn't support.
The shipping rates are also cheaper than AGS, currently R399 5-12 days(or R511 for 3-7 days shipping) for up to 1kg vs. R518 what AGS charges. R297 for <0.5kg, if it's a small parcel.
Hope post Covid-19 shipping for all services become cheaper soon.
Woah this could change the way ordering from china for me completely.
Would love to hear if this works same as AGS except with Buffalo from China.

Tinuva

The Magician
At least they give you the Chinese address in, well, Chinese.

Service look kinda rough on the edges but perhaps usable. I suspect the BG0720 is my specific code.

Screenshot from 2020-07-01 16-11-20.png

martin

Expert Member
As promised I am updating you guys with my experience with MYUS.com

I am on their free plan with no consolidation.

Currently they have a backlog of a week in the US.

Their shipping address is in a tax free postal code but some merchants' software do not pick this up so you may get charged tax. I asked the merchant for a refund for the tax afterwards which was processed quickly.

The normal shipping cost for a R1kg package is R551.00 compared to R414.00 (R373.00 with flex) on Aramex. I did receive a $20 voucher towards this because of the delays. So I paid less about R200 for the shipping. There were no additional admin fees charged by MyUS.

Once they processed my package they used the invoice in the box for customs details and it was sent immediately through to the shipping company.

The shipping was through Fedex Economy (you have a choice of various options) which took less than a week to arrive in South Africa.

Fedex's handling fee was R150 for the package. I cannot remember what Aramex charges for handling fee.

Overall good experience considering the issues in the US. For expensive items MYUS might turn out cheaper because of the US tax savings.

That's great feedback, thank you. I've used MyUS in the past for shipping two tablets to South Africa. I just wasn't willing to entrust tablets that were Christmas presents for my kids, that I saved for, for more than a year, to AGS. I came away very impressed on that occasion. They kept me informed throughout the process and I didn't experience any of the anxiety that I sometimes do with when using AGS. I definitely paid a few hundred bucks more compared to AGS but I was prepared to do so for the peace of mind. It's as Dee always reminds us, you get what what you pay for with these services. AGS is still a great budget option but there are definitely items I would never use AGS for. YMMV of course.

MightyQuin021

Hi all, I've just used AGS for the first time, bought second-hand oakley prescription glasses frames (without lenses) off US ebay and had shipped to the Aramex NY depot which ebay shows as delivered to on 24 June. There is no notice of this being received yet on my account on the AGS website. But after reading the posts here about all the delays I guess I should give it another week or so. Does anybody know if I will get charged customs duty on a second-hand item? I paid $50 for the frames

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Hi all, I've just used AGS for the first time, bought second-hand oakley prescription glasses frames (without lenses) off US ebay and had shipped to the Aramex NY depot which ebay shows as delivered to on 24 June. There is no notice of this being received yet on my account on the AGS website. But after reading the posts here about all the delays I guess I should give it another week or so. Does anybody know if I will get charged customs duty on a second-hand item? I paid $50 for the frames
Anything over $35 interests customs, but I have no clue on the HTS code for spectacle frames.
Google it, the codes are the same the world over.
Then look here to see if there is any duty. View attachment LAPD-LPrim-Tariff-2012-04 - Schedule No 1 Part 1 Chapters 1 to 99.pdf

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Anthony the Aramex driver delivering here in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town says they are short-staffed.
If Cape Town is short-staffed it is likely other depots are also.
Bottom line? It may say out for delivery, but it doesn't necessarily mean that day.
Patience people, think zen thoughts. We're half way through 2020. 6 months to go.

stephanvanzyl

Hi guys... anyone recently trying to order anything from China on ebay? My Chinese address is as stipulated on AGS website, but it is not accepted when trying to check out on ebay.

Thanks

Kola_CT

Expert Member

I had something delivered at their Ney York facility on the 22nd, it was listed by Aramex on the 30th and on the way to Dubai now.

Will likely be here mid to end next week.

You can contact them and ask them what duties there will be.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Hi guys... anyone recently trying to order anything from China on ebay? My Chinese address is as stipulated on AGS website, but it is not accepted when trying to check out on ebay.

Thanks
Don't use Shanghai unless you have to. The shipping is way more expensive than NY or UK.
Also, the Chinese don't like sending locally.
Rather send e-packet to NY, or use Hong Kong.

wtg

They seller refuses to ship to South Africa which is why I was planning to use AGS in Hong Kong.

Even DHL Express is having pretty bad delays in Dubai now. I've had two packages from China this month hop between HK -> Dubai -> Bahrain -> Nairobi before arriving in SA.
Did you receive your DHL packages before estimated date? Mine shows departing Dubai still for about a day now...so looks like mine might also go this route. I'm not sure where it's off too after Dubai

stephanvanzyl

Don't use Shanghai unless you have to. The shipping is way more expensive than NY or UK.
Also, the Chinese don't like sending locally.
Rather send e-packet to NY, or use Hong Kong.
So, do I send it from China to US? Sounds a bit weird. Then I might as well send it to SA directly.
Or am I understanding you wrong?

Tinuva

The Magician
So, do I send it from China to US? Sounds a bit weird. Then I might as well send it to SA directly.
Or am I understanding you wrong?
Naw.
Maybe aliexpress sellers don't like sending to China. How do they expect Chinese shoppers not to send to Chinese addresses.