Alrighty, so here goes with my photos and vids from the DA's march in Johannesburg... for the record, the main march was 100% peaceful and extremely well-organised and well-attended.
Video from under the M1: in case you're wondering, the whole rally wasn't vuvuzelas (there were struggle songs, modern protest songs, multi-denominational prayers and a speech by Mmusi Maimane himself).
[video=youtube_share;9ycTjpH4uQs]https://youtu.be/9ycTjpH4uQs[/video]
Direct link to video:
https://youtu.be/9ycTjpH4uQs
I also took two panorama photographs, which are best viewed high-res:
-
Panorama 1 (Staging area). Porta-potties, organised bus parking, crowd control with metal barriers, handouts of water and posters at the entrance, open-bed sound truck ... clearly this wasn't the DA's first protest march, even if it was a lot of supporters'.
-
Panorama 2 (End of march). Looking at this photograph large and you get a small sense of the scale. Also, not a terribly "white" event for a supposedly whites-only protest day, amirite?
Overall I'm really happy I attended that and I'll definitely do it again. Here's to hoping some more of y'all get a chance to take off work and join the movement!