Bad Driving thread

MKFrost

Expert Member
N1North toll road

Guys in big cars (like Toyota Fortuners etc) comes up zooming behind you, and nearly crashes into you as they expect you to move over into the yellow lane for them.

.!..

their big ego's will be their downfall... wish we could force roadhogs like these to drive underpowered Hyundai i10's... :D
If its safe to do so then why not just give way?

In my opinion the fact that so many want to act like traffic officers on our roads by trying to enforce the law leads to more accidents and incidents of road rage than by just being polite and getting on with your own business...

Had this same argument yesterday with somebody that said that he will stay in the right lane as long as he keeps to the speed limit. So nobody driving over 110km/h (his actual speed on the GPS in the 120 zone) has the right to pass him. He will rather agitate the whole world behind him and possibly be the cause of an accident with people forcing their way around the left than just moving over for a couple of seconds.......

Same happened when on a single lane, refused point blank to move over to the yellow even though it was safe to do so. At a stage I could count almost 20 cars all sitting right on our rear bumper....

PS: Not aimed at you in any way or form and I get what you are trying to say yes, far too many who also think its their God given right to squeeze past you at any cost etc.......

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If its a single carriageway, there is no "giving" way legally, the car behind is legally allowed to pass by crossing over into the oncoming lane, if the lane markings are striped.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If its safe to do so then why not just give way?

<snippysnip>

PS: Not aimed at you in any way or form and I get what you are trying to say yes, far too many who also think its their God given right to squeeze past you at any cost etc.......
Thanks.

I do give way, but only when it's safe to do so, and will NOT do at night.

But what grates my carrot is that they come zooming up to you, and expect you to move over long before they arrive on your butt.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If its a single carriageway, there is no "giving" way legally, the car behind is legally allowed to pass by crossing over into the oncoming lane, if the lane markings are striped.
Exactly. Or they are so impatient to pass, they'll force you off even if there's oncoming traffic. :sick:

flarkit

Executive Member
+1 on that. The yellow lane is not a "give-way-so-that-impatient-twits-can-save-2-minutes" lane. Seen enough near-misses where a pedestrian or stationary vehicle suddenly "appears" in the emergency lane.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Do not agree, it is stated that you should give way should it be safe to do so....

The answer is simple, and clearly laid out in Regulation 298A of the National Road Traffic Act which refers to yellow lines......

The only exception for normal motorists is if you are travelling on a single carriageway road with one lane in each direction. In this case it is permitted to move into the emergency lane to allow faster moving cars to pass you. However, the Act clearly states that if you are moving aside to allow vehicles to pass, you can only do so during daytime hours, which means between sunrise and sunset. By law you are required to make sure that you have at least 150m of visibility ahead before you move over....

Last edited:

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
And there is a difference between being polite and being an ******
If it is during dusk or later I will not move to the yellow lane.
And I only move during daylight IF I can see faaaaar ahead.
Else I'd rather be a safe bitch that a polite-dead motorist...

Driving in the fast lane, when on the freeway... Only when over taking.
But at the same token I won't move out the slower lane when some idjit, driving 160, wants to over take there, coz the equal idjit in the fast lane is driving 150....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And there is a difference between being polite and being an ******
That there is... but the law is relatively clear, its a permission to do so, not an instruction, and it has very clear guidelines on when you may do as the law permits you to do.

Again, coming up behind someone at pace, and then expecting them to just shuffle over into the emergency lane is not on. I no longer drive a car that can easily outpace the speedlimit, but when I did, if I was coming up behind someone in a single carriage road, I would slow down, flash them once or twice (if it was during the day), if they didn't move out I would just wait for a decent sized break in the oncoming traffic and overtake them. Given the conditions of our roads I would never expect someone to move fully over into the emergency lane.

MKFrost

Expert Member
That there is... but the law is relatively clear, its a permission to do so, not an instruction, and it has very clear guidelines on when you may do as the law permits you to do.

Again, coming up behind someone at pace, and then expecting them to just shuffle over into the emergency lane is not on. I no longer drive a car that can easily outpace the speedlimit, but when I did, if I was coming up behind someone in a single carriage road, I would slow down, flash them once or twice (if it was during the day), if they didn't move out I would just wait for a decent sized break in the oncoming traffic and overtake them. Given the conditions of our roads I would never expect someone to move fully over into the emergency lane.
We are on the same page here, was just mentioning that it will not kill some people to move out of the way and here I'm thinking of those who drive 40/60 in a 100 zone and refuse to move over and those on a dual carriageways/highways who hog that right lane like there is no tomorrow.

If I come up on somebody and I see that they are not attempting to move out of the way I slow down and fall in until such time as I can pass. I do this without being an **** i.e. I do not drive onto their bumper to see whether they will move or not. Usually its clear as you approach that the other driver has seen you and that they are making plan to move or not.

I personally believe that there is an increase in the number of people who have appointed themselves as traffic officers and who are trying to enforce the law and by doing so actually cause more havoc on the roads. Case in point, went to Cape Town yesterday and came up on a car on the N2 (merc 230e I think it was). Person sat in the right lane doing about 105km/h and I slowed down. He could move over but did not so I flashed once. Nothing. Flashed again and nothing. I could see the person looking in his rearview mirror. I again flashed and nothing. I then indicated to move to the left and as I did he did the same thus blocking me from passing on the left.

I stayed in the right lane and passed him. As I went pass he shot back into the right lane and sat on my bumper. I increased speed to just under 140 but he sat there as if stuck with glue. He eventually slowed down and opened a gap between us after about 5km and after I relayed, via my rearview mirror, what I thought about him in all the languages I could muster.

It's things like these i.e. this 'I own the road' attitude, that gets to me. People are way too involved in the lives of others instead of focusing on their own lives. So what if you have to move to the left to let somebody pass... if its safe to do so do it.

Rather let the **** (if that is what you think of him/her) pass and go kill themselves somewhere else than doing so while trying to force themselves pass you and in the process maybe take you with them.

isie

Honorary Master
Rather let the **** (if that is what you think of him/her) pass and go kill themselves somewhere else than doing so while trying to force themselves pass you and in the process maybe take you with them.
+1000

supersunbird

Honorary Master
MKFrost, why did you even flash him? I just prepare to pass on the left when I approach and see no action (and if the view is clear enough to see no other slower vehicles on the left).

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
MKFrost, why did you even flash him? I just prepare to pass on the left when I approach and see no action (and if the view is clear enough to see no other slower vehicles on the left).

I
6) The driver of the second vehicle may make the driver of the first vehicle aware that he or she intends to overtake the first vehicle by giving the driver thereof a visible signal by means of flashing the headlights of his or her vehicle.
Keep left, pass right.

http://www.arrivealive.co.za/pages.aspx?i=822

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Pffffft, if there is enough space for me to pass on the left there is enough space for him to be in that lane and if he doesn't go there, I go there if safe to do so (light flashing is seen as agro action by those not fimiliar with the law on it, I dont have the capability to stop them and educate them)...

Often I drive in the left most lane of the highway between PTA and JHB and on the R21. Flows more freely than the other lanes generally. So am I wrong in doing that too?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You are supposed to pass on the right.

I stick to this religiously now, and I've found that keeping to the rules of the road, when the people around you do as well helps to keep the traffic flowing properly... Its actually amazing how much better traffic flows when everyone is following the same rules and not trying to get one up for themselves.

MKFrost

Expert Member
I think a large contributing factor is all the 'commercial' traffic on our road like trucks etc.. People have a tendency to want to drive on the right as you are constantly moving to the right to pass one or other lame **** truck doing 60 in a 120 zone.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You are supposed to pass on the right.

I stick to this religiously now, and I've found that keeping to the rules of the road, when the people around you do as well helps to keep the traffic flowing properly... Its actually amazing how much better traffic flows when everyone is following the same rules and not trying to get one up for themselves.
Ok, I am referring to a 2 or more lane situation where the person is in the right hand lane, to overtake on the right I would either need to overtake on the grass middlemannetjie or transision through concrete somehow, so I undertake in a safe manner.

On a single lane road I am patient, I dont expect the person to move into the emergency lane (if there is one) if they do it on their own. I wait patiently for a very safe overtaking oppertunity.