Behind the scenes at Telkom

Matthysdt

Our business ADSL line went down over the weekend.

Logging the fault at Telkom cost our technician four consecutive calls to 10217 of roughly 30 minutes each.

This had me wondering...

www.MYADSL.co.za was started up (back in the day) to help improve the quality of broadband services in SA, and what an amazing job they've done.

However, the infamous 1 hour calls to log a faulty Telkom line has remained a "symptom" (for lack of a better word) despite all the other improvements and milestones reached since "back in the day".

If this wasn't done or suggested before:
I would like to suggest that the MyBroadband team do an "exposé" investigative article in which they go behind the scenes at Telkom to determine the root cause of the bad service on the fault logging lines. Perhaps interview the call center staff, give us some indication of fault logging volumes and peak times vs. hands-on-deck etc.

How about it MyBB?

MickeyD

RIP
No Telkom employee may conduct interviews with the media regarding work related matters unless it has been approved by their corporate communications division.

Matthysdt

No Telkom employee may conduct interviews with the media regarding work related matters unless it has been approved by their corporate communications division.
So, get Telkom's approval. They [mostly] come to the party with topics involving MyBB.
It's for the benefit of the consumer, surely MyBB is up to the challenge. Could also be a great PR exercise for Telkom.

Last edited:

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
When my second cousin from the US visited us for the first time in SA he was shocked to learn that we have only one telecoms provider and he said in the US they have about 10. Competition = better service, because you can always switch providers if it takes too long to fix your line. But with a monopoly they can take as long as they like because you have no other choice really.

He said when his internet went down it took them two hours to show up at his door to fix it.

MickZA

Executive Member

ponder

Honorary Master
So, get Telkom's approval. They [mostly] come to the party with topics involving MyBB.
It's for the benefit of the consumer, surely MyBB is up to the challenge. Could also be a great PR exercise for Telkom.
They will not allow their staff to speak freely to the media.

ttygt

When my eleventh cousin from Albania visited us for the first time in SA he was shocked to learn that we have a telecoms provider and he said in Albania they use telegrams. The have no competition and no service, so you can never switch providers if it takes too long to send your telegram. So with a monopoly they can take as long as they like because you have no other choice really.

He said when his telegram went down it took them two days to show up at his door to fix him for complaining.

ellyally

Expert Member
When my eleventh cousin from Albania visited us for the first time in SA he was shocked to learn that we have a telecoms provider and he said in Albania they use telegrams. The have no competition and no service, so you can never switch providers if it takes too long to send your telegram. So with a monopoly they can take as long as they like because you have no other choice really.

He said when his telegram went down it took them two days to show up at his door to fix him for complaining.
He must be from a low pop area... according to http://www.internetworldstats.com/ as of dec 2013, 60% of albania had internet, south africa at same time only 48%. And they probably have 10x our speeds... :D

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic

Trying to be funny?

alqassam

Expert Member
When my second cousin from the US visited us for the first time in SA he was shocked to learn that we have only one telecoms provider and he said in the US they have about 10. Competition = better service, because you can always switch providers if it takes too long to fix your line. But with a monopoly they can take as long as they like because you have no other choice really.

He said when his internet went down it took them two hours to show up at his door to fix it.
Yes but in many small towns they also have a single provider with 512kps lines etc. Its not all bells and whistles

ellyally

Expert Member
Yes, but can you imagind how slow it must be even with 10x our speeds, when the only website available is www.albania.gov.org.
Why is that? Did I miss something? I thought they were all up and running?

Not trying to be funny or anything, but the several mmo's I play on eu servers generally have an albanian or two running around... Also just look at something like game tracker and the shear volume of local gaming servers hosted there... you saying they can play online and talk on vent/ts etc but not browse the web?

Last edited: