ChrisjanWust

I would like to research and report on South African hosting providers' uptime (percentage of time website is online and accessible) as well as connection speed (miliseconds to reach site). While most web hosts claim 99.9% uptime, from experience I know this to be false.

For the investigation I need sites to test from each hosting provider - Hetzner, Afrihost, Hostking, Gridhost, Webafrica, you name it - ideally as many as possible websites per host as most use more than one server. So if you are willing to share your URL, web host and hosting plan (if possible), that would be amazing!

I believe I speak for more than myself saying this will really be appreciated. Currently there is little to no real-world data on which to base your choice of web host in SA.

Thor

Honorary Master
I would like to research and report on South African hosting providers' uptime (percentage of time website is online and accessible) as well as connection speed (miliseconds to reach site). While most web hosts claim 99.9% uptime, from experience I know this to be false.

For the investigation I need sites to test from each hosting provider - Hetzner, Afrihost, Hostking, Gridhost, Webafrica, you name it - ideally as many as possible websites per host as most use more than one server. So if you are willing to share your URL, web host and hosting plan (if possible), that would be amazing!

I believe I speak for more than myself saying this will really be appreciated. Currently there is little to no real-world data on which to base your choice of web host in SA.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/842012-Afrihost-down

Also - http://hostingweb.co.za/

ChrisjanWust

Thor

Honorary Master
Go to each host, get one of their clients and setup a monitor done.

I don't find this investigation of much use.

ChrisjanWust

Go to each host, get one of their clients and setup a monitor done.

I don't find this investigation of much use.
If you don't own a website it won't be useful, but for those of us who do, this is quite important to avoid being ripped off. Obviously approaching a host would seriously influence the neutrality of the experiment.

Thor

Honorary Master
If you don't own a website it won't be useful, but for those of us who do, this is quite important to avoid being ripped off. Obviously approaching a host would seriously influence the neutrality of the experiment.
If you use a ISP as a web host then your opinion doesn't mean much...

Digital Ocean, domains.co.za, OVH those are the options.

Otherwise you plugg your own and go rent a rack in one of the data centers.

ChrisjanWust

That is like saying if you own a Corolla, your opinion doesn't mean much. Off course it does - most people are in that market and need factual advice. Very few have the money/skill/time for those options you mentioned.

Thor

Honorary Master
That is like saying if you own a Corolla, your opinion doesn't mean much. Off course it does - most people are in that market and need factual advice. Very few have the money/skill/time for those options you mentioned.
Then stick to afrihost.

ChrisjanWust

Then stick to afrihost.
That, again, is like buying the Corolla based on what Toyota's pamflet promised. This is exactly why such an experiment is necessary - to give facts on which to base your decision.

If there are helpful people out here, I again ask of you to join me in this investigation.

ChrisjanWust

but afrihost may not be the best. and that is what they are researching?

Edit. btw. I am using cloud africa at the moment. so far uptime is really good.
Thanks DeathStrike, only saw your reply now. Do you monitor your site? If so, could you be more specific regarding how good their uptime is and what monitor you are using?

DeathStrike

Expert Member
Thanks DeathStrike, only saw your reply now. Do you monitor your site? If so, could you be more specific regarding how good their uptime is and what monitor you are using?
I use free new relic account to monitor the server. will have to login later and check what the uptime is.

Thor

Honorary Master
but afrihost may not be the best. and that is what they are researching?

Edit. btw. I am using cloud africa at the moment. so far uptime is really good.
I pointed that out yes, He can't afford the best hence I said then stick to afrihost.

ChrisjanWust

Thor, your contributions to this post has been nothing but negative. I think that you are on a different level of hosting and therefore don't understand the point of this experiment. Please keep in mind that this idea would require a lot of effort from my side and it is to the benefit of the community.

Axxess is offering free shared hosting (Linux & Windows) for 6 months and also free co.za domains. Might be worth looking at?

https://www.axxess.co.za/hosting
I checked it out - it's indeed a great deal and you get a free SSL certificate! Cybersmart also offers a wonderful deal: totally free hosting, you just have to pay R75/year for the domain. I've been monitoring their uptime and it's... ok - 99.54% according to UptimeRobot and 98.32% according to UptimeDoctor (anyone got any info on who's the more trustworthy of these two, because there is a clear discrepancy). However, most of the down-time was between 2 and 6am. For now I'm reasoning why go for higher priced hosting when your users are from SA? Which is why I started this post.

Last edited: