Billion router losing sync several times a day

rudivdw

Hi All

I have a "lovely" Billion 800VGT Router that I got from Telkom, but it loses sync several times a day, but then immediate reconnects after that. Some days it doesn't do it at all (that I notice at least). (when it does, the orange light flickers, then after about 30 seconds or so, its stays on again, meaning it's connected, and then I'm online again...)

Anyone else experiencing something like this? Could my router be on its way out, or is it just a crap make?

I have both Afrihost and Telkom accounts, but it does it with both (I also have had a chat with telkom, but they say, as always, nothing is wrong on their side - I have a 4Meg line, and I'm, according to the telkom guy, about 2.5km from the exchange)

Thanks
Rudi

Shiveer

I have a Mega200 supplied by telkom as well, same issue, its reconnects though, wonder if the 10meg upgrade has anything to do with this as this only started happening about a week ago for me?

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
(when it does, the orange light flickers, then after about 30 seconds or so, its stays on again, meaning it's connected, and then I'm online again...)
Same issue with my Telkom Mega 200VWR. Have been using a 2nd hand Netgear for a while now and seems fine.

FredBear

Hi All

I have a "lovely" Billion 800VGT Router that I got from Telkom, but it loses sync several times a day, but then immediate reconnects after that. Some days it doesn't do it at all (that I notice at least).
Is this a new symptom? i.e. was it working 100% before?

spinnaker

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Billion 800VGT router. I had 4 Telkom guys out to my house to check whats the problem, but nothing helped short of dropping my speed on my line. After numerous calls to Telkom, and people coming out to my house to "investigate", I gave up. My logs showed, at various times during the day "ADSL DOWN, ADSL UP".

So I started to fiddle with my settings, and fixed my problem by:

1. Logging into my router through my browser
2. Going to Configuration -> WAN -> ADSL
3. Changing the ADSL (or something like that) setting from "ADSL2+, auto-fallback" -> "ADSL", and ensuring it is set to "G.Dmt"

After doing this my connection has been stable.

The only problem that I sit with now is that I cant get 10mb connection speeds, as the max sync that I get is 8.something. I tried it after the Telkom upgrade this monjth again, but I think it has something to do with my SNR and distance from the exchange.

Hope this helps

poffle

Executive Member
its strange, i can only sync at 2mb regardless... but on my billion router it doesnt get sync, at all nothing.. but on my aztech router it syncs at 2mb but also has the problem of losing sync then reconnecting :( very frustrating

Oom Roekeloos

Router issue

Billion is definitely a good brand, I can vouch for that. I’ve been using a Billion for a couple of years now and never had any issues. This might be a minor firmware issue, if this is the case, you could download the latest firmware from the Sizwe Broadband website (www.sizwebroadband.co.za) and you can upload via the web interface. More likely however is that this is what is known as an intermittent line, meaning your line quality fluctuates, ask Telkom to test the line 3 consecutive times, each test within 5 minute intervals of each other, this should give an indication of how line quality is fluctuating. Also ask that Telkom perform a “port refresh” on your line, this could also greatly improve your line quality.

rudivdw

Hi FredBear, it used to happen in the past as well, but like 2 or 3 times a week, instead of 5-10 times a day, I did recently upgrade from 384k to 4meg, but the first week it was fine too, maybe it started after their big 10meg upgrade or something, but Parklands isn't in the list of areas they covered (even though Telkom's check tool says that my exchange has 10meg available) - my speedtest results is usually about 6.0 - 6.5 megs... I'm actually considdering buying a non telkom issued router, like D-link or netgear, but I'm not in the mood to fork out money if the problem will persist...

rudivdw

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Billion 800VGT router. I had 4 Telkom guys out to my house to check whats the problem, but nothing helped short of dropping my speed on my line. After numerous calls to Telkom, and people coming out to my house to "investigate", I gave up. My logs showed, at various times during the day "ADSL DOWN, ADSL UP".

So I started to fiddle with my settings, and fixed my problem by:

1. Logging into my router through my browser
2. Going to Configuration -> WAN -> ADSL
3. Changing the ADSL (or something like that) setting from "ADSL2+, auto-fallback" -> "ADSL", and ensuring it is set to "G.Dmt"

After doing this my connection has been stable.

The only problem that I sit with now is that I cant get 10mb connection speeds, as the max sync that I get is 8.something. I tried it after the Telkom upgrade this monjth again, but I think it has something to do with my SNR and distance from the exchange.

Hope this helps
thanks spinnaker, will give it a try!

FredBear

Hi FredBear, it used to happen in the past as well, but like 2 or 3 times a week, instead of 5-10 times a day, I did recently upgrade from 384k to 4meg, but the first week it was fine too, maybe it started after their big 10meg upgrade or something, but Parklands isn't in the list of areas they covered (even though Telkom's check tool says that my exchange has 10meg available) - my speedtest results is usually about 6.0 - 6.5 megs... I'm actually considdering buying a non telkom issued router, like D-link or netgear, but I'm not in the mood to fork out money if the problem will persist...
I wouldn't purchase a different router. First try the firmware upgrade and changing the ADSl mode (like spinnaker suggested).
I work with a guy who was experiencing a similar issue, he had Telkom out and they said there was nothing wrong with the line. We also tested the router on another and there were no issues with it.
His issue was eventually resolved only after the copper in his area was stolen and Telkom had to relay new copper.

I'd also suggest giving the guys from Billion a call, they are usually pretty good with assisting you.

spinnaker

thanks spinnaker, will give it a try!
I got my hands on an online manual and the names of the settings, under Configuration -> WAN -> ADSL, you would need to change are:

Connect Mode: ADSL
Modulation: G.Dmt

rudivdw

Ok, got the latest firmware for my router, and the very helpful guy at the Billion company told me to ask the telkom bunch to refresh my port. Trying that now, will keep all updated

Oh, Spinnaker, I tried those settings, but my router will only connect with the ADSL2+ option...

Thanks for all the advice so far...

BILLION Tech

BillionSA Representative
Company Rep
Good day Rudvdw,

All the suggestions given so far on this thread is 100% correct, one additional thing however, sometimes when located far from the exchange, some stability issues can occur on 4mb lines. You could request that Telkom shape your line down to 3mb as check if that improves the stability, if not you can just have the shape it up to 4mb again.

Kind regards

rudivdw

Damn, connection just dropped and reconnected again a few minutes ago - had a chat with Telkom, apparently there is a glitch in the area, so hopefully when that is sorted, everything will be fine...

rudivdw

The Telkom guy was here, apparently there was something wrong in the box on the street. He said he fixed it, I'll now have to see if I still get issues...

schumi

Honorary Master
Same problem, I get this in the error log dslhome:Reading owned node but no read lock acquired, any one know what it means.

Donny31

Hi Rudi

If your problem is solved completely, please let me know what the Telkom techie did. I have the same problem on my Billion 800VGT router and they have tried everything!

Thanks!
Don

CrzWaco

Expert Member
2002:9:10:21:16 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:16 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:17 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:17 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:18 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:18 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:29 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:29 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:29 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:29 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:33 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:33 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:34 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:34 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:36 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:36 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:36 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:36 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:38 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:38 DSL in Sync
2002:9:10:21:49 DSL out of sync
2002:9:10:21:49 DSL in Sync

You get it like this?

rudivdw

Hi Rudi

If your problem is solved completely, please let me know what the Telkom techie did. I have the same problem on my Billion 800VGT router and they have tried everything!

Thanks!
Don
Hi Don

After the telkom guy was here, everything appeared fine, but suddenly I didn't get very good speedtest results (2.3mbps instead of 6.5) - but my connection was very stable. Anyway, a week or so after that I had to restart my router, and I was back on the 6.5mbps speed, but the connection dropping thing started again - you won't believe how frustrated I got!

Anyway, I basically realised that my line cannot handle that big a speed successfully, so I phoned telkom and told them to limit my line to 4megs, which they did, and since then the line has been LOTS more stable (think I only had 1 disconnect since then)... Hopefully someone drives over one of their boxes or steals the cables so that they can replace them and I can also go up to 10megs (telkom's site says my line can handle that speed - yah right!)

Well, at least it's stable now...

Sorry for the late reply!

Cheers
Rudi