Bl1zz4rd

I have had Black Ops since it came out and aside from a couple of immediate errors, the game has been working fine.

Suddenly, when I tried to open the multiplayer the other day, it says "connecting" briefly, then "fetching stats" and then stays on "fetching stats" for about 5 minutes.

After the 5 minutes, and error message comes up saying the "Black Ops server is unavailable" - but at exactly the same time, friends of mine are playing the game.

When I try verifying the cache, it starts downloading an 8MB patch. Once that finishes, the error remains and when I quit the game and verify again, the same download starts AGAIN. What is going on here?? The game has worked without error for ages and now suddenly, it stops. I have already tried deleting the config files as well as the "Clientregistry.blob" - nothing helps at all.

Last edited:

RaFi

Mmm, I suffer with the same problem, but I know its because of my internet connection.
What you can try, terminate the game while its says connecting(Control-Alt-Delete, Task manager, End Process). Then run it again, when you are prompt for safe mode, start the game in safe mode. Just set your GFX again.
With me that sometimes helps.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Black ops have loads of error messages , dc etc, its how the game is..

you will get random dc message or error messages , it happens nothing you can do, just plain damn black ops.

Bl1zz4rd

RaFi - nice to know i'm not the only one with this exact error. What do you mean it's your internet connection? What line speed do you have?
the safe-mode run didn't work at all, in fact, when it went into the game, it remained at "connecting" and didn't even make it to "fetching stats." i've never used safe mode for any of my programs before - pity it didn't help with this particular error.

hereticangel - your comments presented no assistance whatsoever to the people within this thread. Non-sensical, unnecessary comments like that don't get anyone any closer to fixing the error. It's basically just spam. Don't spam my threads.
there's always something that can be done in terms of Black Ops errors, i've fixed many before. If you want to express your hatred towards the game, go and do it somewhere else, where people appreciate it.

Draconia2

Expert Member
are you lanning ? or are they playing it at their homes seperately but on steam it shows they are playing .... you could always just grab a copy from them and paste it over yours , it seems to have helped me with company of heroes , after 3 years of no errors it randomly didnt want to connect or after a few minutes it bombs out. i copied the game again from my dad and presto , 5 hours and no crashes. sigh pc life is strange

Draconia2

Expert Member
If you want to express your hatred towards the game, go and do it somewhere else, where people appreciate it.

or just grab a m60 with clip addons and pray and spray - stress reliever on nuketown

Bl1zz4rd

Draconia2 - the latter, which is how i know that the Black Ops server isn't actually down, it's just my game failing
not sure what the second comment is about

GreyBush

Executive Member
I had the problem last night for a bit, reset my router and it disappeared

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Have you tried what Draconia2 has suggested, coping someone else's steamapps folder/ black ops files and see what happens then?

Also, on what connection are you playing?

Bl1zz4rd

SharkBait - I will try the copy, it may make a difference.

I have a 384 uncapped unshaped line with mweb, so aside from the speed being fine, i'm with the best service provider in terms of Black Ops ping capabilities. The speed has never been a problem.

Bl1zz4rd

Which exact files are you suggesting I copy? I'm going to keep the old ones as a backup, in case something fails.

Are these files that automatically replace themselves if the game is started after they've been deleted? The error is still showing, so I will have to try the copy.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Under steam, there is a steamapps folder, if the person you are going to copy from, only has COD BO, then you can copy that whole folder. If he has other games on his steam account, then you copy only the black ops files and folder under steamapps\common.

Bl1zz4rd

SharkBait - I haven't tried the copy yet, but what I did do was delete both the game and steam and re-installed them again. The error is still occurring - stuck at fetching stats, if I leave it, it always ends up saying the server is unavailable.
Do you still suggest trying the copy?? Surely re-installing the entire game would fix this problem.It's strange that activision support can't tell me how to fix it either.

Last edited: