Blood Pressure...

How much of that number isn't due to the White Coat Syndrome one wonders?


I had nasal polyps removed and my septum straightened under general anaesthetic in November last year and I was really anxious about this procedure in the days running up to the operation. The morning of the operation my wife and I had a disagreement about nonsense. Needless to say when I went in that afternoon I was the only patient in the entire hospital, it was a small hospital geared up for sports injuries but as I got there after lunch all the staff wafted by looking at me, greeting at the same time, but in your head you are thinking oh dear I'm on the slab next and who knows what that does to your sub concious. The mind is the most powerful organ apparently and who knows its effect on your BP.

They measured my BP before the operation and it was 200/100, but he cuff was too small which skewed the number. The Doctor was quite concerned and told them I personally felt fine, no headaches (or tinnitus in my case) or signs of High Blood Pressure, I was really anxious to get this over with.
When they put me on the table before the Anaesthetic and used the theatres BP Machine it was 160/95 and he was happy saying he can regulate that with meds.

To summarise and I am going to state what the guy at the health shop said to me. Get your own BP Machine and measure your BP in the morning and the evening, not during the day and use the third reading as being the correct one. When I do this my BP is anything from 110/65 to 117/75. He believes fully in the white coat syndrome saying that your BP when tested under clinical conditions can often be higher than what it actually should be.

I used to be concerned about my BP, not so much any more, a lot can be contributed to your state of mind before you look at a medical/clinical reasons for it.

septum straightened - colleague had his done, resolved his sleep issues and solved his high bp issues, completely off meds now
 
Strangely, my BP is only sky high before my cardiologist visits...need to rest for 10 minutes to get below 180. However, had 6 ops in last 6 months and always + - 140 / 80 before the action. Strange ?
 
My reading this morning

127/94 pulse 70 (I'm not happy with 94 is too high).

Can anyone help with a diet I have cut down on salt, I think it's time to cut spices but what do I use to add flavor to my food.

Is it really necessary to start drinking low fat milk or low fat products. I'm already using olive oil.

Any suggestions on how to twerk my diet. Some of the food I like ultra Mel custard, Oreo biscuits, yoghurt, cake, chocolate, burger, chicken n licken hot wings, spur ribs and pizza Oh kasi "sephatlo" bunny chow.
 
But I do I use to flavor my food herbs are expensive. I want to cut down on spices all together.
 
About 2 years ago I did a discovery checkup and bp was around 200/120 a tad high - anyhow medication keeps it stable - lately though its been dropping for eg yesterdays Discovery checkup was 122/78 and today 99/63 - which I suppose is good, problem is low BP makes me feel like ****. Even 120/80 makes me feel a bit woozy.
 
About 2 years ago I did a discovery checkup and bp was around 200/120 a tad high - anyhow medication keeps it stable - lately though its been dropping for eg yesterdays Discovery checkup was 122/78 and today 99/63 - which I suppose is good, problem is low BP makes me feel like ****. Even 120/80 makes me feel a bit woozy.

a Tad high? Is that a joke?
200/120, you have most certainly done damage to your internal organs
 
a Tad high? Is that a joke?
200/120, you have most certainly done damage to your internal organs

Nah, I pass all health checks with flying colours and recently trekked over 160km, I'm in good shape, albeit a tad fat, but working on that.
But yeah, lucky they found out, I never bother to do check ups - it was probably to do with weight gain, anyhow it has been controlled since!
 
Nah, I pass all health checks with flying colours and recently trekked over 160km, I'm in good shape, albeit a tad fat, but working on that.
But yeah, lucky they found out, I never bother to do check ups - it was probably to do with weight gain, anyhow it has been controlled since!

You are very lucky you didnt have a heart attack
 
You are very lucky you didnt have a heart attack

Yeah, I went on a quick extreme diet lost 25kg fast, doc says that is probably what saved me - gained a few kg recently but back on the path to losing. The new diet is probably aiding in the current low BP.
 
Having really bad withdrawal from my Bisoprolol and prexum

Numbness/Tingling in my left hand + general unwell feeling
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X