Cable Installation Cost

Yunnimun

I am trying to find out what the rates are for cable installation in Gauteng. CAT5e, CAT6, and CAT7.
Is there pricing per meter installation, or is it just for termination?
I am looking to do installations part time, but don't want to undercut myself, or over charge my potential clients.

The numbers that I have in my head is around R700 per termination but then I saw a thread from 2014 and that implied being the going rate for way back when.

So the line items I am looking at are:
1. Installed items = price + 20%
2. Cable installation = I have no idea, but I guess there would be a factor of difficulty involved
3. Trunking, power skirting, cabinet installation etc. = I am guessing that trunking and power skirting forms part of cable installation
4. Termination = The new numbers that I have in my head are between R1000 and R1500. Maybe more if it needs to be shielded.
5. Traveling/Call outs = R5 per km? I have seen some erratic number for this too.

Thanks for all your help in advance, and if I forgot to think or mention anything. Please let me know.

Last edited:

Venomous

Honorary Master
While I do not actually lay cables...
I do work in conjunction with a cabling company when required.

They charge a call out fee, and then Rx per point. However if it is only one point and less than 30m they charge a straight up R1k exvat for that point. Works out 2 points will cost about R200ex additional.

And and and...

Yunnimun

While I do not actually lay cables...
I do work in conjunction with a cabling company when required.

They charge a call out fee, and then Rx per point. However if it is only one point and less than 30m they charge a straight up R1k exvat for that point. Works out 2 points will cost about R200ex additional.

And and and...
So what is the call out fee?
R1,000.00 excluding VAT per single termination? and the an additional R200.00 if both ends are done. So R1,200.00 for both points.

And and and...?

infscrtyrisk

Expert Member
R1200 for a cat 6 install. What are you smoking
In fairness, it's actually not too bad. 18 years ago, if I recall correctly, DD used to charge around R450-00 per (certified CAT-5 structured cabling) network point. If it is R600-00 per point today, I'd say that it is probably a HUGE bargain (considering stats SA's report on CPI http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/P0141/P0141June2017.pdf).

Then again, the demand for structured cabling has diminished substantially due to wifi, and one could always go with an outfit that is cheaper, and has less rep.
But who you gonna call when you have frustrated users? If it's a home install, I guess that you can always sleep on the couch... :D

Yunnimun

In fairness, it's actually not too bad. 18 years ago, if I recall correctly, DD used to charge around R450-00 per (certified CAT-5 structured cabling) network point. If it is R600-00 per point today, I'd say that it is probably a HUGE bargain (considering stats SA's report on CPI http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/P0141/P0141June2017.pdf).

Then again, the demand for structured cabling has diminished substantially due to wifi, and one could always go with an outfit that is cheaper, and has less rep.
But who you gonna call when you have frustrated users? If it's a home install, I guess that you can always sleep on the couch... :D
I know DD is charging around 1300 per termination now. But their target is larger companies.

I found that most people still prefer a physical connection for desktop, and use WiFi for boardrooms and visitors.

Times have certainly changed when you get sent to the couch because your wife couldn't spend the whole evening on Facebook.