Cancelling DSTV

Ianf1

Expert Member
Hi Guys
Just want to see if this is the norm for DSTV?

I phoned to day to cancel. I asked if this could be done for the month end, as I had paid until then, and was told I would have to phone at month end and cancel but I could cancel today and get refund. So I asked for this as I did not want to risk being charged for December.

The refund for ½ month was R185 out of a subscription of R620 odd for the whole month. I could not hold on to question this as I had spent over 30 minutes on the phone to get that far.

I have asked on hellopeter to see if this can be explained.

Anyway I am now DSTV free and will save R600 per month

froot

Honorary Master
It sounds about right. Not quite, but almost.
After today, 18 full days have passed, ie 60% of the month. They're offering you 30% of the month in refund, so you're losing like R31 or something. It's not too bad.

You can also, if you want, cancel your DSTV via your dstv.com profile. Just switch it off, and the money gets credited to your account. Then phone and ask for the credit to be paid out.

F1 Fan

Executive Member
I really really want to get Supersport, but Im holding back. Don't want to support them, but what other choice do I have...sigh..

froot

Honorary Master
I really really want to get Supersport, but Im holding back. Don't want to support them, but what other choice do I have...sigh..

I bought a Drifta. The quality is all DSTV though (iow sucky sucky) but it's better than nothing.
R49pm is much better than R620pm.

F1 Fan

Executive Member
I bought a Drifta. The quality is all DSTV though (iow sucky sucky) but it's better than nothing.
R49pm is much better than R620pm.

Considered that, but quality is awful. I would rather stream it online then. Also, screen too small.

Ianf1

Expert Member
OK now I am gobsmacked!
I got this reply on hellopeter
We confirm that services are disconnected. Your invoice date is the 26th monthly and you have viewed the services from 26 October to 17 November 2013; which is 23 days. The credit available on your account is R185.34 and we have requested for the relevant department to refund the credit into your bank account.
So this does make sense.
I am glad I cancelled now as I didn't realise that this ran from the 26th.
Also that is a quick response from them.

froot

Honorary Master
Considered that, but quality is awful. I would rather stream it online then. Also, screen too small.
I don't always have a computer in front of me so that does pose a bit of a problem wrt streaming.

OK now I am gobsmacked!
I got this reply on hellopeter

So this does make sense.
I am glad I cancelled now as I didn't realise that this ran from the 26th.
Also that is a quick response from them.

That does explain it.
Either way, you can proclaim you have been unscrewed by DSTV.

Parrie

Hi Guys,

Recently what I have done is I switch DSTV on, on the Friday and off on the Saturday after I watched my sport. I only do this if there is really something I want to watch. It costs about R60-70 bucks for the weekend. Not sure of the exact figures but since doing that I have not gotten a R629 bill for the month. I think the highest one was +- R170.

If you do it over the internet is is also quick and easy, with no hassles really.

F1 Fan

Executive Member
Hi Guys,

Recently what I have done is I switch DSTV on, on the Friday and off on the Saturday after I watched my sport. I only do this if there is really something I want to watch. It costs about R60-70 bucks for the weekend. Not sure of the exact figures but since doing that I have not gotten a R629 bill for the month. I think the highest one was +- R170.

If you do it over the internet is is also quick and easy, with no hassles really.

How do you do it? Via the portal? They will probably end up turning this feature off.

HDS

Expert Member
Hi Guys
Just want to see if this is the norm for DSTV?

I phoned to day to cancel. I asked if this could be done for the month end, as I had paid until then, and was told I would have to phone at month end and cancel but I could cancel today and get refund. So I asked for this as I did not want to risk being charged for December.

The refund for ½ month was R185 out of a subscription of R620 odd for the whole month. I could not hold on to question this as I had spent over 30 minutes on the phone to get that far.

I have asked on hellopeter to see if this can be explained.

Anyway I am now DSTV free and will save R600 per month

Way to go abusing hellopeter.

You can interact with us on any of these channels:

-The Dstv Forum on www.dstv.com
-Twitter@DStvCare
-Facebook/DStv
-Enquiries@multichoice.co.za

Seriously couldn't just use one of those?

you have viewed the services from 26 October to 17 November 2013; which is 23 days
...and they were right.

vinodh

Expert Member
Through the "Self Service" area.

"Manage My Account"

"My Services"

Something in that order.

I can't see the option to switch on/off my service. Only this message "Please manage your XtraView setup through the Call Centre". Both my SD decoder and HDPVR are there with their matching smart card numbers but no option to switch on/off services.

Ianf1

Expert Member
Way to go abusing hellopeter.

Seriously couldn't just use one of those?

...and they were right.
@HDS
I tried twitter still waiting for a reply!
Since you might be connected to dstv can you answer the following
Why isn't cancelling on the web site intuitive?
Why does it take over 30 minutes to cancel via the call centre?
Why does the call centre put you on hold when you ask a question?
Why can't the call centre just send me a letter acknowledging the cancellation?
Why do you have to be put through to box ofice and mobile to do a cancellation there instead of it being handled by one person in the call centre?
How did I abuse Hellopeter when they got me the acknowledgment that the service is properly cancelled when the call centre couldn't do that, Hellopeter worked more effeciently than the call centre?

If you work for multichoice I hope you pass on this feedback.

BTW why the hate for hellopeter sometimes it is the only way to get decent feedback from the large SA Companies.

Last edited:

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
AFAIK Hello Peter is for complaints/compliments, not questions.

Ianf1

Expert Member
AFAIK Hello Peter is for complaints/compliments, not questions.
My complaint was after 30 minutes I could not wait further to insist on the cancellation been acknowledged in writing. So I did tell the call centre lady I would take this up to get a proper acknowledgement. To me the training given to the call centre lady I dealt with was poor or the systems they work with are *****.
Now why can't hellopeter be used to get good service if the company can't do it right?

RichardG

Honorary Master
If not mistaken you are charged pro-rate. Example 30 days(R680 / 30 = R22.66(each day) still surprised that they credited you that much.

I like the idea from OP, test the service for 2 days if you are unhappy cancel. Then charge pro-rata but I am sure there is a clause under their tos

Ianf1

Expert Member
Multichoice deposited a cheque in my account for the refund. So they are doing it right.
Good to know about the option to turn it on for a few days, thanks for the tip Parrie.

Parrie

I can't see the option to switch on/off my service. Only this message "Please manage your XtraView setup through the Call Centre". Both my SD decoder and HDPVR are there with their matching smart card numbers but no option to switch on/off services.

DSTV.jpg

See attachment.

All your options is there once you open "Manage my services".