Cell C 3GB prepaid and Vodacom Internet started pack compared

IMWise

Suggest someone proof reads articles in the future:

USD dongle?

Exclusing modem at R350.00?

ajax

Executive Member
MTN needs to come to the party. They're very expensive and the deal is not available on a prepaid basis.

moklet

Expert Member
Hang on a minute! R33.25 / 100 MB = 4c / MB? really?

If you take the cost of the device into account (which they took out of the calculation) then you come to 0,04 which according to some industry players is an unsustainable amount ;)

AndyHiggins

BidorBuy CEO
Cell C 3G E1752 modems out of stock

I want to get the Cell C 3Gb 12 month deal however I am told that I need the Huawei E1752 or E1820 modem (to work on my Mac) and I can't find these in stock any where.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I want to get the Cell C 3Gb 12 month deal however I am told that I need the Huawei E1752 or E1820 modem (to work on my Mac) and I can't find these in stock any where.
This is very strange - you can surely use any 3G modem on the market?

AndyHiggins

BidorBuy CEO
This is very strange - you can surely use any 3G modem on the market?

The guy in the Cell C shop in Sandton City told me that only the E1752 or E1820 will work on my MacBook Air so either I was mis-informed or I have to wait for stock of those models to come in?

Axis

Another advantage if the Cell C offer is that you don't run the risk of getting caught with the stupid OOB rates. VC and MTN can't seem to grasp the fact that we don't want to pay R2.00 per megabyte under any circumstances.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The guy in the Cell C shop in Sandton City told me that only the E1752 or E1820 will work on my MacBook Air so either I was mis-informed or I have to wait for stock of those models to come in?
That makes more sense - hence an Apple issue rather than a Cell C network issue.

You can obviously look at a MiFi device - solves all the software issues ;)

IMWise

Most Huawai modems will have Mac drivers, the thing with CellC is to ensure that the modem must support 900Mhz

AndyHiggins

BidorBuy CEO
You can obviously look at a MiFi device - solves all the software issues ;)

A MiFi device sounds great. Will it support 900MHz and if so where can I get one? That's assuming the sim gets embedded directly in the MiFi device itself or do you still need the modem to plug into the MiFi device as an external component?

Last edited:

Cost Conscious

"Consumers who already own a dongle also have the option of purchasing a 3GB data bundle which is valid for a year at R399 once off."

@RPM: As Cell C are the only ones offering a bundle without hardware, I can see why you did not include this in your final table. OTOH, since many do have a modem (i.e. the Ipad was mentioned) it might have made sense to include that option in the table, ne c'est pas?

battletoad

Expert Member
"Consumers who already own a dongle also have the option of purchasing a 3GB data bundle which is valid for a year at R399 once off."

@RPM: As Cell C are the only ones offering a bundle without hardware, I can see why you did not include this in your final table. OTOH, since many do have a modem (i.e. the Ipad was mentioned) it might have made sense to include that option in the table, ne c'est pas?

That has been added to the table (as i see it, I may be wrong tho).
The "effective price/MB" excluding the modem of R350, i.e.
Vodacom = 399-350 = R49. Then 49/1.2/1024 = 4c
Cell C = 749-350 = 399. then 399/3072 = 13c

EDIT: Now the question is, is the Vodacom USB dongle worth R350? I have no idea, but perhaps we can work on a bound.

Say Vodacom's price was 13c as well. That equates to...
0.13 * 1.2 * 1024 = R159.74 (for the MBs over the year)
Implying USB Dongle => R399 - R159.74 = R239.26

This means that if VC's dongles cost R239,26, their bundle to be equivalent to that of Cell C's. If VC's dongle costs more than the R239,26, they are more cost effective than Cell C's bundle. Vice versa for the opposite (the negation of that statement is true as well).

If any expert can give an approximate cost for VC's dongle, we can find the winner

Last edited:

BBSA

Honorary Master
A MiFi device sounds great. Will it support 900MHz and if so where can I get one? That's assuming the sim gets embedded directly in the MiFi device itself or do you still need the modem to plug into the MiFi device as an external component?

try BidorBuy;)

Last edited: