Cell C advises subscribers not to force Vodacom roaming

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
So setting it to Vodacom i still get Cell C contract rates or voice and data?

BlackMamba

Expert Member
Cell C network sux big time.....actually its deadly frustrating....that's why I ditched it.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator

FlashSA

Executive Member

[)roi(]

Executive Member
...Cell C said that there is a concern that forcing to roam on Vodacom can impact the company financially...
...and why should this concern customers?

If you don't like this then build a solid network and get rid of the peering agreement with VC.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
[)roi(];10975775 said:
...and why should this concern customers?

If you don't like this then build a solid network and get rid of the peering agreement with VC.
Yep. Seems like a really half-baked announcement by Cell C. If anything this will cause more people to force it.

mcryan

Expert Member
I'll try this, then perhaps, I'll be able to do what my my phone is intended for: make and receive phone calls!

rrcatto

I'm in the southern suburbs, Cape Town, and Cell C is good here. Vodacom is also good. 8ta is unreliable, mostly crap, sometimes okay. MTN, I don't know because I don't have an MTN SIM card.

I have no need for an MTN SIM card because MTN provides absolutely no data bundle which is even remotely competitive.

I was considering the Afrihost R145 for 5GB offer (which uses MTN), but noticed that once you've gone through 5GB in a month, you have to pay R99 per gig thereafter. **** that ****!

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I think it should say "implores" rather than "advises" because it would be really poor advise.

rrcatto: you pay R145 for 5 gigs. The topup rate would be R99 if you buy a 1 gig bundle. You can always buy 2 gigs for R145 and get 3 gigs for free. It isn't a contract that requires you to buy the same quantity of data each month.

Conack

Expert Member
Roaming on Vodacom with full signal is slower than dialup, with intermittent packet loss / no data throughput - both of which occurs too often in my experience.

Often have to disconnect and reconnect several times in a row until it actually works.
Not my phone, as both my old DHD and new Samsung has the same experience.

Cellc is fine in the cbd, but as luck would have it.. Pretty crap at home. So while at home I'm forced to lock to Vodacom or miss business calls. Sorry AKC.

tRoN

Executive Member
Hey i didn't even know u could force roaming on VC.
Now Cell C u spilled the beans and you gonna lose more money!!

whatwhat

Executive Member
Indeed, Vodacom Edge beats Cell C 3G most of the time in anycase.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I hope they have notified their call centre staff, as they have been advising the exact opposite:
Still waiting for clarity on issues around HSPA+ data in Sandton CBD.
Roaming on VC as advised by the call centre is not an option.

eshwar

Dear CellC rep.

The reason we roam on the Vodacom network is because that one works. Even when one has all the signal bars on Cell C, there is absolutely no guarantee that the call will go through. And that it will not drop and that the data would work. When every attempt to use the network is hit and miss then people will choose what's better.

As for costs going up, well then when you have a 99c promotion, you must say that "please expect degraded network service because the costs are low"

Or what you can do is find a new roaming partner e.g. 8ta/MTN. What you can also do is fix the network. Its not just coverage. Its quality.

Park@82

Honorary Master
LOL @ Cell C you should have stayed quiet. I bet this will result in more people doing it. /Streisand effect