• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Cell C Fixed LTE issue with router and iOS devices

alsteyn

Hi All,

I have a very strange problem on my Cell C fixed LTE service from MWEB. My MAC and linux machines connected via WiFi to the B315 works fine. Android phone via WiFi works fine. Apple phones give constant issues. I can ping 8.8.8.8 from the phone (using Inettools) and do DNS lookups and it resolves addresses correctly. I have tried to set DNS manually on the phone, same result if DNS is set to 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9, 1.1.1.1 or auto assigned. This same router works perfectly fine with a RAIN sim and the exact same devices. I put the Cell C sim in a B618 router and experience the same issues. The same issue is experienced on another Fixed LTE from MWEB and I have the same issue on a Cell C prepaid SIM as well.

Has anyone else come across this? Any suggestions will be appreciated. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

alsteyn

Can't browse websites. Facebook always works, but can't access Absa.co.za, cellc.co.za, speedtest.net, etc. Appstore won't load, youtube doesn't work.

Meyero

Can't browse websites. Facebook always works, but can't access Absa.co.za, cellc.co.za, speedtest.net, etc. Appstore won't load, youtube doesn't work.
Have you find any solution to your problem. I experience the same issue although if Cell C sim is left in the Huawei Router, I have limited access to the website. If I insert the sim in my iPhone and make hotspot from it, it allows access to all websites. Can this be an issue with Cell C and Hauwei devices not having access to the network and limit the service to only Social media sites.

Meyero

Check with a SIM giving problems. What APN is defined on the router?
I have received the sim and device from Afrihost on the 23 August 2018 and immediately report the problem to them. They check everything and cannot find any solutions. They then setup up a brand new sim and device for me and I received it yesterday. The problem that I experience is still exactly the same even after a new sim and device.
I try both the following APN's (internet and afrihost) in the router and the issue still remains when trying to browser any website. I can load facebook and even youtube and play video in 1080p without buffering. It do not allow me to load any other website like gmail, speedtest.net, afrihost or even cellc.

mh348

Expert Member
@alsteyn Did you figure out what the issue was?

Both @Meyero are in the same town with the same issue. Apparently, it's an issue with the Cell C tower and the Huawei routers we are using.

I've tested some websites with https instead of http and the site loads, example: mybroadband.co.za loads the home page when I change it to https but images don't load.

I've tried the following APN's, all with the same issue:
afrihost
internet
lte.broadband.is

I even alternate DNS servers, but no luck.. I can ping all websites and get a response, but can't browse the site. Even ran Port queries and it shows that it's listening on port 80, but won't open the site. My guess is some sort of content filtering on Cell C's side. I even updated to the latest firmware on the Huawei B618s-22d router (using the lan port & updated via ADSL)

Anyone else with a working Cell C connection, please advise what MTU settings you are using, the default is 1480. I want to try another value and see if it makes a difference.